home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Creating Clear LM Front Turn Signal Directional Lenses
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 18, 2016 09:42AM

Looks like you got a winner Dave. Thanks for the update.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 18, 2016 10:33AM

They sure look great...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: tgwyth ()
Date: November 18, 2016 10:58AM

Would you be interested in doing FC tails and/or the fronts also.
(I know they were made clear in '61 nut they are getting hard to find, smoked would be nice too)

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 18, 2016 11:42AM

tgwyth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would you be interested in doing FC tails and/or
> the fronts also.
> (I know they were made clear in '61 nut they are
> getting hard to find, smoked would be nice too)

Once the bugs are worked out of making these lenses I'm sure to do 65 and 66 tail lights next. I'm not sure on FC though or EM yet. There needs to be enough demand to justify the cost to make molds. All I own is 65 and 66 so that is where I usually start.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 19, 2016 07:28AM

Here's two trick FC taillights I've seen at conventions past. Either one I think might sell well.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: Mark Pietz ()
Date: November 20, 2016 05:07PM

I don't know how many folks appreciate the effort that goes into a project like this - in reality, one usually ends up doing it for one's self as a labor of love. About 20 years ago I needed new or rebuild motor mounts for my "orphan" (IH) 4x4. There were none and no one had successfully rebuilt them, which was a unique metal shell that held about 1 1/2 lbs. bonded rubber, and a metal insert with studs (trust me - the process that originally made these took a 30ft tall press to form the shells). So necessity being a mother, I tackled the job of repotting these things in a suitable polyurethane, after burning out the remnants of the original rubber, sand blasting the shells, welding up cracks, etc. The whole point of this is that when it came to pouring the urethane itself, the formulation was binary and had to be accurately mixed down to fractions of an ounce, and pot life was mere minutes. I burned through $1,000 in material and depleted my savings (wife still doesn't know) working out the bugs. But in the end I figured it out and the parts I rebuilt ended up being marketed by the successor to the OEM manufacturer and even got the original part number assigned. That was pretty cool, and I made enough for it to pay off, but it was a lot of work. I was approached recently to make another batch but thought "hell no". These lenses are really works of art and I tip my hat to the effort! I know first hand what's involved in a job like this.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 20, 2016 05:15PM

As per Mark P.

I wanted Yenko Sail panels...for the looks only... and the way I build things I always plan on removing it and throwing it away...

3 mths... with a Bud... 1-3 hrs per day......2-4 days a week Before I had a useable set...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 20, 2016 09:32AM

Another update.

Several sets of clear lenses are now in the mail to a few test subjects for their evaluation. I officially sold two pairs to a Corvair owner in Sweden who must have clear lenses to get his LM through the technical inspection or he can't drive it on public roads.

I have not detected any signs of yellowing in the last two epoxies I have been testing. My epoxy samples have been out in the full Arizona sun since early November and have stayed clear compared to the earlier epoxies trials that yellowed even with little sun exposure.

I tried a simpler method to apply a smoked look which was the old "soak them in hot Rit dye" trick but I still detect a faint purple tint when the black dye is so lightly applied to a transparent object. I am returning to my first tinting process which involved tinting the whole jug of a Part B epoxy so that I can produce many sets at repeatable tinting levels. Tinting smaller batches is still too hard to match one batch to another and if you get it too dark you can't go back. $$$sad smiley

I have also finished the pattern design to cut out an optional piece of protection film for the lens face. I'm using a vinyl graphics cutter to make an overlay of 6-mil VentureShield paint protection film. I'll probably ask $5 a set to add that protection. It will really help defend against road debris chips and it is also a great UV blocker. I put a test piece of this film on my old Aerostar van nearly 10 years ago and the paint under it still looks great but the paint around the sample faded and flaked off years ago.

Lastly, I may have damaged one set of molds when I changed to a different mold release spray. Whatever is in this new stuff it seems to affect the surface quality of the mold so that the gloss level is lower. I have washed the mold over and over trying to get the oily film off the RTV without damage. The experts tell me I should bake it out so those molds went in the oven last night for 24 hours to see what outgasses and if I can get the shine to return. I've ordered more of the good release spray and thrown the last can in the trash.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Posted by: SteveH ()
Date: December 20, 2016 11:16AM

Thanks for the update! Awaiting the go ahead for regular orders!

CORSA Member #034095
SF Bay Area zip:94580

1965 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140hp 4speed
Built 9/15/64 #148 off the LOS line, #1448 for the year
1965 Corvair Corsa "Corsamatic" 140hp PG

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 20, 2016 02:10PM

Good job Dave.

The time and cost of development work is rarely factored in when folks look at a product and say "I could make that for less".

After years in production development my favorite saying was "What could possibly go wrong!" and "It always works on paper, but development uncovers problems that don't show up during design".

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 02:18PM

I'd like to throw my name in the hat for some too when they become available.

Your work is admirable and the product looks great! Wish I had skills like that.

Dave

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: December 20, 2016 02:46PM

I am still good for two of them

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: December 20, 2016 03:08PM

Please add me to the list.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: rfw66 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 09:02PM

Please add me to your list as well.

Posted by: OzJavelin ()
Date: December 21, 2016 01:25PM

Yep .. please add this Aussie to the list too! smiling smiley

Posted by: 126hotel ()
Date: December 25, 2016 07:25PM

Pls add me to the list as well thanks

Posted by: Jamison82 ()
Date: April 25, 2017 02:31PM

Great product. The thought and work that goes into the development is very impressive.

Is there an update on progress? I'll be another customer when you're ready to ship orders.

Jamison
1965 Corsa Convertible - Fixer Upper
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 31, 2017 06:26AM

Update time:

Some of you probably noticed I’ve not been on here much since early 2017. It was almost exactly a year ago that I announced the clear front turn signal lens project. Between the last update and now, extra work duties and some poor advice from my local materials supplier left me with damaged molds and a high level of frustration so I decided to take a mental health break. This hobby is supposed to be fun right? smiling smiley

Good news is that I’m back at it and improving the process. I’ve made about six sets of lenses in the last few weeks alternating between smoked and clear versions. With the purchase of two gallons of resin for more economical production, I was struggling to accurately pour only 69 grams of epoxy from the big gallon cans. I was always overshooting the goal. I’m now transferring the resin into smaller stainless steel sports bottles that have wide openings and shallow threads that are easily cleaned and handled. This also requires less of the dry air spray used to displace any humidity before I re-cap the contents.

I’ve sped up the mixing and de-gassing process a little so I’ve gained about two minutes of working time to get the epoxy poured down the mold runners. If I fill the mold too fast it traps air. If I fill too slowly the epoxy gels before I’m ready. I now pour both molds at the same time and found a styrene portion cup that I use as a disposable funnel that lets me fast pour the resin out of the big mixing cup but then slows the resin entering the molds through a re-usable metering plug. The funnels and risers all go into the pressure pots together. If I work quickly, the outflow runners are just topping off as placing the lid on the pressure pot.

Even with the additional time to fill the mold more slowly I’m still getting an occasional bubble but only on the gasket face which is the highest point of the molds. I’m debating if I should build the next set of molds with the runners relocated. It’s irritating to pop out a new part and find a small defect. Problems with bubbles elsewhere are pretty much solved. I’m still using two small strips of breather cloth at the mold split to try to give the bubbles some place to escape. If I use a little thicker breather cloth it works better but then I have a lot a flashing and seam leakage to clean up.

I may auction some of the less-than-perfect lenses on eBay to try to recover a little of my investment and see how far they bid up as “factory seconds”. I can fix the small bubbles with a tiny dab of clear silicone RTV and you’ll never see it once the lens is installed. I’ve got 15 pair of lenses that look great but have a bubble about half the size of a BB on the rear face. I’m not selling those right now. I want to offer only the best quality lenses to the members here and I have shipped out a few more sets recently. For the smoked lenses, I think I have the tint amount just right. I'm waiting to hear back from a few customers to see what they think.

When I return from the Tri-State Meet I will resume emailing the list of potential buyers that I have kept organized since you all started asking. Price is $35 a pair with gaskets (delivered) to any USA address. I’ll email the next 2-3 people on the list when I return from Taos.

Clear and smoked sample pics (the latest smoked lenses are just a shade darker).

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Attachments:

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: May 31, 2017 07:47AM

Great job, keep at it, none of the cars these will be mounted on are perfect,,,I think they look great smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: May 31, 2017 07:58AM

I have met Dave and his wife and they are both good people. I imagine anyone else that knows them would say the same..... Welcome back from mental Vacation Dave we support you and your creative projects!

In addition to the clear lenses Dave offers an Oil filter bolt that incorporates a nifty oil pressure gauge.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.