home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Creating Clear LM Front Turn Signal Directional Lenses
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 03, 2016 06:58AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt and I
> were just having a quick chat about how
> amber/white switch backs would work with your
> lenses.

I have a design already in the works for my switchbacks. I built and sold many of them back in 2005-2009 for the 2G Eclipse/Talon crowd. You can see switchback side marker lights in this video as well as my projector-style LED turn signals and DRL LED light strips.

For my Corvair, my plan is some white DRL's with amber turn signals. I build my own with multiple Rebel LEDs using my own LED drivers and heat sinks. I might have a set of my switchbacks on display at Palm Springs and hope to have lenses for sale there too.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 24, 2016 09:53AM

Overdue for an update.

In May, I figured I’d be selling these clear LM turn signal lenses by late summer. In the time since then I recovered slowly from my first hand and elbow surgery, had a recon trip to China for work, came home sick for a week after, had my Dad pass away in July and then a second hand surgery completed in August. Throw in some tendonitis too and whew! Not the summer I expected.

It’s actually a blessing that I had to pause the lens work all summer long because the delay proved that the epoxies I planned to use were beginning to age and show signs of yellowing, even when stored in a dark, enclosed box for a few months. Had I went into production and made a load of these I’d probably be replacing them all or sending refunds. A very slight yellowing over time is to be expected but this was more than I was happy to accept. When a supplier tells you they sell "water-clear" epoxies that resist yellowing and UV light degradation that is what you should get but it was not the case.

In the last month, I have been evaluating three new epoxies. I stepped up to professional grade products that unfortunately are trickier to work with and more hazardous. I'm hopeful for better success due to a well-aged sample I found on a store shelf that gives me confidence that these products will outperform my earlier trials.

The new epoxies are also urethane based but these are even more sensitive to moisture until cured. They also require two-step heat curing and some other tricky handling procedures like requiring a NIOSH respirator. I’ve cast several pairs of lenses with each and already have a favorite mix. I’m having more trouble with casting these resins because the viscosity is higher and they have less pot life. A few pours have resulted in voids when the resin did not flow fully before gelling. I also learned a new term (after demolding one product) which is “suck back”. It’s hard to describe but it’s as if a small section of the part shrinks 5% or so after it has set. It leaves a ripple or wave across the part becuase not all areas shrink. I had that happen twice even after doing all the preventative measures recommended.

To make a long story short, Instead of having a bunch of these for sale at the TOSS next weekend like I had planned, I’ll have a show-and-tell along with just a few sets for sale to some select people that I can trust will do a good evaluation. I’ll only release a few sets for now so that I can monitor the results as they age. Last thing anyone wants is a product not ready for market. Thanks for waiting.

See you in Palm Springs.

Photo info:
In the photos, the early tests lenses are on the right. Some are tinted and marked as such. The middle and left columns represent the recent testing for clarity and color. Because these heat-cured parts tie up the molds for a much longer period of time I started casting just the front half in some spare test molds. That is why some lenses have no internal ridges and appear like clear glass.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 24, 2016 10:25AM

I would think about selling some without the ridges...

I just cut flat Plexiglas 1/4" and with the "switchbacks" make for a nice DRL

and Turn signal.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 24, 2016 10:35AM

Dave, it seems to be working out and I'm not surprised by your experience.

When I worked in aerospace the production folks would get very frustrated with the amount of evaluation that had to be done before a new product was released. Of course as you now know - it's less of an aggravation to find problems BEFORE you ship a product.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: October 24, 2016 10:44AM

I will take 2 clear ones at the Toss please! smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 24, 2016 10:58AM

Are those looking good or what? thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champs 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 Rehired Seasonally Now Retired Again-Vairy V8 ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1966 110/PG AC Sport Sedan-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BFALT L/M Coupe-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: mockjim1 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 12:45PM

I like the ones with no ridges. how much would a pair of those be?

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 12:53PM

I like the smoke with ridges looking forward to when these come available.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: October 24, 2016 01:49PM

I will take a pair, but I will not be at the Toss

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 24, 2016 02:36PM

NICE thumbs up

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Nader's Nemesis ()
Date: October 25, 2016 08:05AM

Dave , I would like to put my name on a pair ! See you at the Toss.
Doug.

Date: October 25, 2016 11:10AM

Thanks again for the support. I'll find the best solution soon. I'll have all of my successes and failures on display at Palm Springs in my swap booth.

I've decided to make a second set of molds next month so that will speed up the testing now and production later. I've figured out a away to get two molds into one pressure tank together so that will also help. With initial curing in the pressure pots first and then heat curing in the oven after that, the de-mold time is now over 48 hours. I also just purchased a two-stage timer/heat controller that lets me program my oven to cure for 6 hours at 150F and then cure 5 more hours at 210F before it turns off automatically.

If I'm not comfortable selling any of the latest production lenses by next weekend, I might decide to keep them in my control until I see what they do after 30-60 days of aging.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 25, 2016 12:13PM

Ay Dave,
They are looking good.thumbs up Too bad I no longer have a Late Model!angry smiley

I understand the personal challenges and loss you have had to deal with. Been there myself. Just have to keep moving forward as we can.

See you at the Toss. I'll have Mike's flywheel and pressure plate at my spot.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Longchamp1981 ()
Date: October 31, 2016 04:43AM

Hi,

I would like to buy two sets when you have the ready for sale, need them for technicalinspection here in Sweden as we are not allowed to have ambe.

My best

Kjell Iseborn
Sweden

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: November 05, 2016 04:28PM

I'd like a set with the ridges.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 05, 2016 05:51PM

I also would like a set with ridges. Should be sweet with Matt's DRL marker bulbs.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 05, 2016 06:02PM

WG,,, not MY lights... off of ebay... Hope you put them in your ebay Watch list...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: November 06, 2016 04:17AM

I will take a set of smoked ones.,

Date: November 18, 2016 06:49AM

Update time again.

After a few more weekends away from home after attending the Palm Springs meet I’m back working on the project.

One of the three new epoxies being tested has begun to yellow like the batches tested over the summer. I’m kind of happy that brand failed because it was the nastiest to work with, was the most expensive and was overly sensitive to humidity. Just stirring it with a wooden stir stick would introduce enough moisture to affect the mix. The other two test epoxies are still looking clear.

At Palm Springs, where I displayed a few samples, I had many requests for smoked lenses so while I’m still evaluating the clarity and resistance to yellowing, I’ve begun testing the smoke tinting procedure.

For a smoked look I have two black colorants to test. Both are extremely dark and it is hard to color one batch at a time and get exact results again and again. Eventually I’ll color an entire jug of Part B of the resin so that I can more easily make an entire run of parts that will all look the same. For now, I’m coloring one set at a time. As an example; to tint one 4 oz. batch of resin I place a single drop of tint on a scrap plastic card. I then dip a plastic toothpick into that drop and transfer what remains on the tooth pick into Part B. The colorant take a while to disperse evenly and you can’t add it to the batch after A and B are already mixed as the time spent mixing the color thoroughly easts into your working time to de-gass and pour. Even the amount of colorant not wiped off the toothpick has a noticeable effect on the tint.

The first two lens sets from those tests are done but probably a little lighter than customers would like. Eventually I hope to be able to add one drop to a quart of Part B and have it come out just right. I might have to get a pipette to gain accuracy or figure if I can dilute the tint without affecting the epoxy cure. I hate to tint an entire jug of Part B resin because after you open the jug you have about 30 days to use it up before it expires.

One other minor issue is with the cooler garage temperatures this time of year. The cure time is much longer while inside the pressure tank. Ebay to the rescue! I bought several flexible silicone tank heaters so I can keep the tanks nice and comfy inside. This gets the epoxy hard enough after about 24 hours that I can me demold and get them into the heat cure oven without leaving fingerprints or warping the parts. I’m using a lamp dimmer to manually regulate the heating strips wattage for now but will add temperature control soon like I did on the toaster oven for the post cure.

Anyway, if you’ve read this far, thanks for hanging in there. I’m still enjoying the project. Good news is that last night the first set was installed in my friend’s Corsa. He is entered in the Good Guys show this weekend in Scottsdale and will show them off. These are the first pair of smoked lenses that just came out of heat-cure yesterday. Joe will run them with amber 1157 filament bulbs and give me any feedback from him or others that notice them.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Attachments:

Posted by: SteveH ()
Date: November 18, 2016 08:29AM

Oh so looking forward to this.....

CORSA Member #034095
SF Bay Area zip:94580

1965 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140hp 4speed
Built 9/15/64 #148 off the LOS line, #1448 for the year
1965 Corvair Corsa "Corsamatic" 140hp PG

Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.