Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Burned engine
Posted by: joelunchbox ()
Date: May 21, 2016 03:15PM

My first car-66 Corvair 110-caught fire and burned while on loan to my parents several years ago. I kept the motor as a reminder and a warning. I need a block for another Corvair and I would like to use this motor. Is this something I should not do? How bad did it burn? Fan and carbs are gone. It was such a good car that I want to put what is left to use. Thoughts? Opinions? What should I look for when I tear it down? Oh, motor has been waiting for me for about 25 years, stored inside. thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burned engine
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2016 04:19PM

Carbs and Fan Burnt? or just removed for use on something else?

If not burnt.... put some carbs on it and fire it up on the floor!

Welcome to the CFF!!

jlb
I kept the motor as a reminder and a warning

Warning for what?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 21, 2016 05:38PM

"" put some carbs on it and fire it up on the floor!""

Great choice of words Matt,, GRIN

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2016 05:43PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="[www.youtube.com]; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 21, 2016 05:57PM

I would take a look at the head fins and make sure that nothing got melted there. If not make sure nothing is in the intake, put a wrench on the pulley bolt and turn the engine over at least 2 full turns with the plugs out. Reinstall the plugs put carbs and a fan on it and see if it will start.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelunchbox ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:01AM

Should have specified-fan-burned, carbs-melted. Haven't tried to even turn it over. Never really thought about doing anything with it, just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. It was a Wednesday car, never let me down. Don't know how many miles are on the motor, never could keep a speedo cable in it. Never got a ticket in it, though. Motorcycle experience paid off there. So, basically, what I am concerned about is the possibility of a warped case or whatever. I have several sets of heads that I can use, so not worried about warped heads. I guess what I am hoping to learn is what are the "deal killers" in using the case/crank again. Thanks for you input.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:59AM

Until you teardown the engine, you will not know what you have. Why don't you post photos as is, then with the tins off? Then better observations can be provided.

If you need a block, PM me as I have several 65 & 66 blocks. Hopefully you are close to GA.

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: May 23, 2016 09:12AM

A friend of mine had a number of cars burn in a car port, including at least 3 Corvairs. The motors where toward the open area of the car port, so that helped. Essentially the top of the motors burned, as you described. The fan (magnesium) of course goes a way rather quickly, the carbs melted (sometimes into the intake) and in the more extreme cases, the front housing (e.g. alternator mount) melted.

In his case, the entire car burned. There was evidence of melted glass near the front of the cars. That's at least 1400 degrees... ouch.

He has already revived at least two of those motors, and the other ones are likely fine also. The thing that really seems to save them is that there is very much a top half and bottom half to those motors. In his case, once the tires blew out, the bottom of the motor was sitting on the ground, which was very helpful in keeping them out of the fire (and keeping them cooler).

So... it is almost certainly fine if the top burned out as described. Essentially, you will just need to replace everything on the top half. Make SURE to check the intake for melted carb parts, and look at the rear housing and bell housing to make sure they did not deform / melt. The harmonic balancer and it's seal may be gone, certainly change the seal.

It's highly likely the heads are fine. Remember, they are DESIGNED to dissipate heat. The distributor may or may not be good depending on how bad it burned. It's steel, so it should be fine, but might be full of melted cap.

I don't remember if the top covers (turkey roasters) generally survived, but I think they did. Of course, the easy route is to find a blown motor and swap the parts over.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.