Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anyone have a good source for flange bolts
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: May 20, 2016 06:30PM

You're correct. However, I prefer to use Allen head 1/4-20 bolts here. Easier to install or remove. I also like SS vs Zinc plated, but not a GM stock item. Using a 6 point bolt requires using a very thin wall socket whereas the Allen head takes the fuss right out of it.

On the subject of flange bolts, I ordered and received 1/4-20, 5/16-18 & 3/8-16 stainless steel "flange bolts" in various lengths from Boltdot.com. I also ordered in stainless flanged nuts in 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 fine & coarse thread as well. Since I have more than just Corvairs (5) I get tired of running to the store for nuts and bolts so I stock over 300 fasteners in steel, SS and aluminum. Our local Ace hardware has incredible inventory with equally incredible prices so bolt depot.com gets my business. Even so, I still end up making trips.

Scott V Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> matchlessmo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone know the correct size bolts for a
> 1965
> > pulley fan bolts there 12 point,
>
> 1/4-20......6 point, not 12.
>
> -Scott V.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 20, 2016 10:05PM

1/4" drive socket works great on blower bolts. And it's easy, since you already have the 1/4" drive set out for all the other little head screws/bolts on the sheetmetal that has to be removed before the blower.

SS allen heads do look nice for a long time.

boltdot.com a typo?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 27, 2018 05:00AM

I just received my second order of engine flange bolts from Flangebolts.com and I'm very happy with them. Grade 5 zinc plated 10-24x3/8, 1/4-20x1/2, 5/16x5/8 and 3/8x5/8. It's so much cheaper to buy double what you think you'd like to have but it's a real joy to use new bolts after hours of toiling to get the shrouding presentable.

I also bought Grade 8 1/4" with 3/8 hex for 65 u-joint straps.

They have free Priority shipping over $25 which is nice since bolts are heavy. I really only wanted to spend $25 this time but ended up spending 50. I've got engine bolts up the wazoo.

They don't have the #10x3/8 sheet metal screws. I get those at my local bolt store and refuse to use any with screwdriver slots in addition to the 5/16 hex. Also, I absolutely hate the self drilling ones as they come out a lot harder than they go in.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.