Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
exhaust tube question
Posted by: mike burnash ()
Date: February 19, 2005 05:06AM

Hello again everyone, got the new push tubes all cleaned and painted white . when I removed the manifolds to clean them up I notice that one of the exhaust tubes coming out of the head was leaking at the shouldered flange where the packing dounut seals against it and half of the flange is now completely gone. The shop manual says to remove heat the head to 200 degree and twist with a pipe wrench. Just wondered if anyone out there has done this with the head still in the car and if this is the best way. it sure seems to be pressed into the head rather tight. also the manual says if removing a tube the next larger size must be installed. (.oo1) Is that absolutely neccesary or can a stock size work since im having a hard time finding anything except a used one ( pretty pricey little item at 45.00 used) I told my wife she might consider naming her car " the can of worms!) anyway thanks once again for all your help, be assured it IS appreciated. Mike. P.S do you think I can heat the head with a heat gun enough to get the temp needed. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exhaust tube question
Posted by: Don Manen ()
Date: February 19, 2005 05:35AM

I have always had good luck removing exhaust tube by inserting a pipe or breaker bar nearly the size of the tube- and gently rocking the tube in all directions- they always come out------ I have never used heat for this process--- When REPLACING the tube- I always clean the port and area thoroughly and tap a FROZEN tube in place with a block of wood and a BFH--- Freezing the tube in your refrigerator for an hour or so (or minutes in dry ice) will shrink the tube slightly. This freezing trick also works when replacing the throw out bearing shaft in the differential ---- and the track pins on bull dozers and military tanks (just in case you ever need to do that)---- Warning: dry ice, and metal frozen with dry ice, WILL INSTANTLY freeze skin tissue - use your welding gloves.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: February 19, 2005 07:04AM

Don,

I perfer liquid nitrogen, it only takes a second. But extreme! caution must used as liquid nitrogen can remove limbs.

Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: February 19, 2005 12:48PM

That's why they sell it to the public now...Wart remover! Albeit in a small container..metered safely!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.