Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Blower bearing noise?
Posted by: Dennis D ()
Date: May 24, 2016 02:00PM

Matt: Story with my sons 65 corvair. He had a loud squealing noise. I told him to remove the belt - he did and noise stopped. I told him to replace the belt and assumed he did. It really sounded like a bearing going bad. It really did. So - he rebuilt the alternator - noise still there. Replaced the idler bearing. Noise still there. So that left the blower bearing - so he replaced it (hard on a 140.) and noise was still there.

I asked again if he replaced the belt and he said "no". Didn't sound like a belt squealing (and it didn't). But it was the belt.

I always told my sons to do the simplest things first. But ----

Dennis D
Brocton, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:00PM

Matt.

Good. Happy you solved it and new about listening devices.thumbs up Sometimes there are goofy things that can be tough to resolve, and sharing your experience here, like you have can help a lot of others.smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 12, 2021 02:43AM

Spin the fan with the belt off. If it isn't smooth or makes noise the bearing is bad. If it spins freely the bearing is bad. If it spins smoothly but slows quickly the bearing might not be the issue.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 12, 2021 10:39AM

Cheese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, here is an update on the issue. Changed out the blower bearing. Did not fix it. Swapped out the idler pulley. Did not fix it. Swapped out the generator. Did not fix it. The Harmonic balancer is new. Still have the noise. To me is still seems to be coming from the fan area. I did not see any evidence of the fan hitting the top shroud. Any more ideas what I can check? Once again, the noise is not there if I remove the belt. Can it be the fan is out of balance? Seems like the belt flops around at low rpm or is that normal?
>
> Here is a link to the new video that is a little longer.
>
> Engine noise video
>
> On a side note, is the about of smoke coming out of the crankcase vent normal?

Did you change the fan belt? Just a thought, but I have had fan belts cause odd noises, especially when the pulleys are rusted from sitting a long time. It's no a common issue, but happens. I assume you have checked the belt guide clearances (if you have belt guides).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 10:40AM by 66vairman.

Posted by: link9711 ()
Date: September 12, 2021 02:26PM

Hi when you changed the fan bearing did you check the blades of the fan one may be coming loose and making the rattle.Just a idea to check also can you run it with out the fan like unbolt the fan off the idler and remove it bolt the pulley back and see if the noise is still there.Just a idea.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 12, 2021 08:12PM

Matt, one area of interference noise is where the steel fuel line goes very close to the gen fan & makes contact. Mine did, & it almost wore through the fuel line.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 08:20PM by DOUG WARD.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 12, 2021 08:27PM

What am I missing here ? This original post was 5 years ago. Do you still have the problem ? after 5 years ?

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.