Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Which 40KV Hi Perf Flame Thrower Coils do I order?
Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: February 18, 2005 08:05AM

Ignitor I coil is 3 ohms, and II is only .6 ohms. I want to purchase a Pertronix Ignitor II Electronic Ignition, but I'm unsure which coil to buy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which 40KV Hi Perf Flame Thrower Coils do I order?
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 08:20AM

Hi Tom,
Good question and well stated. I believe I provided that answer on 11/21/04. Just do a search on this site for 'Flamethrower" and scroll down for some other postings like yours. I described the differences on 11/21/04. Let me know if that answer is not sufficient.
-- Larry

Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: February 18, 2005 09:32AM

If you intend to use the Ignitor I, then you want to use either the 1.5 ohm coil or the 3.0 ohm one. If you intend to keep the ballast resistor in the coil circuit, then you want the 1.5 coil. If you intend to eliminate the ballast res in the coil circuit, then you want the 3.0 coil.

But if you are going to use the Ignitor II, then you want to use the 0.6 ohm coil.

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: February 18, 2005 09:55AM

Thanks Larry, Bob. That is just the information I need.

Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 10:06AM

Hi Tom,
While Bob is quite correct about the best performing coil for the P2, there is a caution here when considering potential failures on the road. Since that coil will only work with the Pertronix II, you are essentially stuck if the P2 fails, since you cannot just plug in a set of points without buring them up in short order or burning up the coil. So for precaution, I recommend either carrying another spare P2 (too much $$ for me) or a higher resistance coil AND a set of points, OR (my favorite) just using a 1.5 or 3.0 ohm coil and live with slightly reduced performance and carry a spare set of points. I suspect most Vair engines would not notice the difference in the ignition performance when using a higher resistance coil, especially with the higher initial output voltage.

The NEXT question will be how to hook it up! Stand back for this old argument. Hint: search the archives to prevent another long replay.

-- Larry

1.5 Ohm Coil vs 3.0 Ohm Coil
Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: February 18, 2005 12:10PM

Oh man, does this conjure bad memories! I learned long ago you don't argue with engineers, politicians, attorneys, and THE LAW. 'Cause they're never wrong!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.