Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Killer deal on ATV lifts at Pep Boys currently
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 07:58AM

It was just pointed out to me that Pep Boys currently has a killer deal on 1500 lb. Motorcycle/ATV lifts at $37.98 including the mail-in rebate. The regular price at Pep Boys is $59.99. They have a promo sale price of $47.98 and a $10 mail-in rebate. I have no financial relationship with Pep Boys (darn), nor have I actually checked these out in person. The photo in the ad shows an ATV style lift with lifting arms that appear shorter than the $80 one I purchased a few years ago from Costco. The arms might be closer together also. Either lift should work well if you bolt on a 2X4 style cradle like the Richard Finch engine cradle. Before building one, double check dimensions and for deep oil pans, actually see if the pan will fit within the larger opening. Just setting a cradle on the lifting arms would not be safe. The CORSA communique had an article explaining how these work and dimensions for the wooden cradle.

-- Larry

Re: Killer deal on ATV lifts at Pep Boys currently
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: February 18, 2005 08:19AM

Larry,

Any idea how tall these jacks are when fully lowered?

I just was thinking that at 1500 pounds capicity you could lift the entire front end or one side of a corvair with one of these if they go down low enough to get under a corvair.

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

ATV lifting height
Date: February 18, 2005 08:39AM

Hi Chris,
While I have not seen this one in person nor seen the specs, I suspect they go down to 4 inches or so. I have not used mine for that purpose, but it seems like a good idea. Mine has some safety stops that prevent it frm dropping back down in the event of a hydraulic failure. I would look for that safety feature if you are planning on being under the car. Also pick up some jack stands for added assurance and safety.

Maybe I will get another one to use for lifting the Devin C. Heck, it could handle the entire car! LOL.

-- Larry

Date: February 18, 2005 08:54AM

Larry,

I already have six of the "good" jack stands and 2 of the "cheap" ones, about the only thing I use the cheap one for is the lawn tractor. And I awlays use jack stands before I go under any vehicle. I pass by a pep boys everyday on my way home from work, I may have to stop in and take a look today.

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: February 18, 2005 10:09AM

Hi Chris,
If you do, would you take along a tape measure and get the length and width of the lifting arms and maybe the minimum and maximum specified height? Also any safety stops?

Thanks,

Larry

Date: February 18, 2005 11:05AM

Larry,

I should be able to post some numbers later tonight.

Chris

2000lb Transmission Jack
Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: February 18, 2005 11:46AM

I bought this 1 ton transmission jack approximately two years ago from Harbor Freight. If you remove the corner tabs from saddle (they're bolted on), it sits about three inches off the floor when fully collapsed. No need to create a wooden cradle, a four inch wide piece of three inch angle iron drilled to fit bottom two rear studs on engine and base of jack saddle will work perfectly. If you happen to have a deep sump oil pan, use an appropriate sized piece of angle iron.
Using this style of low profile jack and building simple brackets eliminates the need to have your car three feet off the ground. In a pinch, the transmission jack can raise either end of Corvair quite easily.... cannot say the same for a cheapy motorcycle jack/stand.

Attachments:
Re: 2000lb Transmission Jack
Date: February 18, 2005 03:40PM

Hi Chet,
Many thanks for discussing this again. I was thinking of making a metal cradle to replace the wooden ones I keep battering up, but maybe just making a flat plate and two different angle iron pieces at the back would be a better alternative. I'll check into that soon.

I agree that your approach is excellent, just a little higher priced than the ATV lift, especially at $38. Adding a plate on top of the lifting arms and then an angle iron at the back should work fine.

I agree also that being able to tilt the jack is a very nice feature. Tempting.

BTW, one Corvair lifting jack used the threaded bolt hole at the bottom rear to secure the engine. I like using the studs, since stripping the threads is less likely and it should be more secure. Does it require dropping that rear skid plate? Maybe I can carve the angle iron to work with the skid plate intact?

-- Larry

Re: 2000lb Transmission Jack
Date: February 18, 2005 05:29PM

Larry,
I went to Pep Boys today, they have a Torin Big Red Motorcycle/ATV lift for $54.95 less $10 rebate. They did not have a display model, the box said that is has a lift range from 4.5 to 16.5 inches. I could not see any saftey catches on the picture on the box. I did not buy one because I could not look at a display first. Hope this is of some help.

Chris
NTCA
CORSA

Posted by: Tom Miller ()
Date: February 18, 2005 08:20PM

The attached pictures show a tilt table installed on an atv lift that was built by Charlie Bremer in Indpls, Indiana. It really makes aligneing the powertrain a snap.

Tom

Attachments:

Adjustment plate
Date: February 18, 2005 11:54PM

Tom,
Many thanks for posting the info and pictures of the adjustment plate system. I am now thinking of making a flat plate with front mounted hinge at about the CG of the engine or power train and rear angle brackets for mating to the rear of the engine block. If the plate is thick enough, I could do the adjustment easily and have it mounted a little lower than what I have now, with the wood cradle. What I like about Chet's approach is the simplicity of the adapter plate.

With just a few hours work, and maybe just a little more money than Chet spent on his tranny jack, I should have something that almost works as well! LOL.

-- Larry

Dumb question...
Posted by: David Bugea ()
Date: February 19, 2005 05:55AM

Okay guys, bear with me because I've never pulled my drivetrain, but I probably will next summer.

With all of these jacks, how far does the car have to be in the air for there to be sufficient clearance for the powertrain to slide out from under the car once the jack is lowered?

It just looks to me as though the car has to be at least a couple of feet off of the ground, but maybe I am WAY over-estimating the height of the powertrain.

Date: February 19, 2005 06:51AM

David,

The height depends on a few factors, which engine configuration turbo vs non-turbo, weather or not the turbo or carbs are on when you remove the engine, the minimum height of you lifting tool. But in general the rear of the car needs to be around 2 feet off the ground. When I removed my powertrain I had the carbs removed, which I recommend. I've heard of people running into problems when not removing the carbs first and wishing that they had after. I actually used a shop crane and lowered my powertrain onto a furniture dolly when I removed it, simply because that was what I had available at the time.

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Maybe NOT a Killer deal on ATV lifts
Date: February 28, 2005 11:35PM

Hi Guys,
So I went to Pep Boys to look at their MOTORCYCLE (NOT ATV) lift last weekend. Sure, it was only $38 including rebate, BUT, it does not have the long pull rod that the ATV lifts have. This is a long bar with cross "T" at the end so you can move the power train around easily. It appears pretty small compared to the real ATV lifts. It does have safety stops, in fact, 6 positions, versus the 3 or 4 that the ATV lifts have, but so what? I would pay the extra money and get a real ATV lift or the tranny lift that Chet uses.

I like the tilt feature that can be incorporated into a modified ATV lift. I will likely scrap the wood cradle and build a simple tilt plate with adjustment onto my ATV lift. Small matter of welding and bolting on.

The advantage of this is that it will be lower than with the wood cradle by an inche or more. Every inch means you don't need to raise the tail of the vehicle quite that much farther.
-- Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.