Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Making Strut Rods
Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: February 17, 2005 04:52PM

Anybody have any advice for making a pair of strut rods similar to these? I have had a complete set (2R & 2L) of 5/8" heim joints for some time thinking I would get around to making a pair. I believe I will make them out of 1-1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum hexagonal material. Leaving about six inches of hex in the middle of each rod and turning down the remaining length with a taper towards each end. But I was wondering if there is any secrets I need to know about like how are the mounting bushings (spacers)designed? I can probably come up with something on my own but I would much rather benefit from the knowledge of others...it's easier that way. Oh, if anybody is interested in buying a set the pic was lifted from,
[www.corvairmotorsports.com]
and they sell these for $183 a pair with aluminum spacers.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Be CAREFUL!
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 17, 2005 05:00PM

Hi Max,
While I understand what you are getting at, my opinion is that for suspension parts, I make DARN sure I know what I am doing first. While that price might seem high, making a mistake and not having a sufficiently strong suspension member is not where I want to gamble or cut corners. That about $200 would seem very inexpensive compared to an accident caused by a failed suspension part. The stresses on some of these are VERY high. At least for $200 you have some assurance the guys designed it properly and have tested that design and manufacturing process in real road situations.

My advice is simply be very careful and check it out and good luck.

-- Larry

Re: Making Strut Rods/ April?
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 17, 2005 05:28PM

Max,
I am using the Corvair Motorsports arms and I like them.

Seems more logical to buy them than to make them but I know you you like fabricating everything yourself and I have been impressed with your work.

The spacers are alum round stock, about 3/4" dia with a taper/bevel on one end down to the diameter of the heim joint bearing to allow them to swivel in the heim joint. An inch or so long. I do not have them here to measure.

I think the arms are hollow?

They are about the same diameter as stock arms.

Good luck and post some pics when done.

Are you still planning on an April debut ???

"UNSAFE"

Re: Making Strut Rods/ April?
Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: February 18, 2005 02:16AM

April seems to be getting closer every day doesn't it! In April I will turn 56 and get my Snowball back on the road. Right now I am waiting on Ray Sedman to send me the ignition units i.e., SafeGuard and a re-programmed GM 3.8L, V6 computer and coil pack. I will have most of the computer equipment mounted under the rear window package shelf. So, I better get busy if I intend to hit my April 1 target. Thank you and Larry for the info on the strut rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.