Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Question About Oil Bath System On Corvair
Posted by: eddie iglar ()
Date: February 17, 2005 10:21AM

Question about a oil bath system on late model car 65-69 ! how do they work and will they work on a 140 motor ! and do they work great or not needed with the better oils of today!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question About Oil Bath System On Corvair
Posted by: John L ()
Date: February 17, 2005 12:26PM

Hi Eddie;

GM used the oil bath system on the corvairs that we sold in the south and in dusty climates like Arizonia and Texas and the like. They were an option on the cars as well as the foward control models. They were designed to collect dust and dirt as a pre-filter in dusty climates. There is no performance inhancement using such a system at all. Most feel as if it robs power from the engine. Some people like the look as well as a function of keeping there primary filters more cleaner. Most of them were taken out of the cars or fc. I guess it is more of preference for those who like them to keep there car or fc original. The system is designed to collect dirt at the bottom of the bowl which holds (oil,kerosene>?) about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom,then filtering out air through a screened metal housing then back into the primary airfilters mounted in between the two carbs. Turbos as well as 140's had them. But the setup was little bit different. They were attached directly to the primary air filter housing. Like I said most people took them out. No perfomance adhancement. I hope this answered your questions.

Posted by: Jim O ()
Date: February 18, 2005 05:23AM

Eddie, I have the Oil Bath setup on my 66 140. I guess it does rob some power but it is original to the car so I've kept it on. It's surprizing at car shows that even some Corvair folks don't know what it is or that it was a option for the 140s too. - Jim

Posted by: JW in VT ()
Date: February 19, 2005 10:48AM

Here's an attempt to post a picture of an oil bath cleaner on a 140hp. Hope it works....

Attachments:
Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: February 19, 2005 12:17PM

Here's a 1966 110hp with an oil bath air filtration unit and A.I.R.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.