Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Here is the GO!
Posted by: GaryHoffman ()
Date: February 16, 2005 07:02PM

Guys:

Here is the GO!; the second photo shows the low mount alternator bracket a little better.

Jet Hot gave me a price on doing the headers (pretty reasonable, and they can do used headers), so I will probably spring for it (to keep as much heat out of the engine compartment as I can).

Hopefully the "Go" will go into the car this weekend.

Gary Hoffman

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here is the GO!
Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 16, 2005 08:37PM

Hello Gary: Looks good. If we skip supper together tomorrow night and lunch together on Saturday, you should have it running right??

Regards, Steve

Posted by: Ryan Counterman ()
Date: February 16, 2005 08:53PM

Sweet dude, where did you get the alternator mount? I need the same one for my V8VAIR...

Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: February 16, 2005 10:08PM

Lookin good! But you will use PC ventilation? Last thing you want is oil vapors !

Date: February 17, 2005 04:00AM

Ryan:

It is from Speedway. From the photos you have posted previously, you can probably use it on your Kelmark. On the Crown kits, the front cross support comes in front of the engine, where the alternator is on my engine. Mikie Hawks figured out how to cut and weld that support, so that it is moved back and allows for the low mount bracket; he is also the one that found the bracket from Speedway.

Matt:

Originally I was going to use a 327 with the rear tube crank breather (later turned out to be a 283). I had my heart set on the "corvette valve covers", and don't really want to carve into them. I still have to figure out how to put in the PCV without carving up the valve covers.

Steve:

I do want to get it in the car (and running), but there is no way I am going to give up lunch with the guys at Hooters on Saturday!

Thanks Guys,
Gary

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 17, 2005 06:26AM

Hello all:

Gary says no way to give up lunch at HOOTERS on Saturday--the rest of you CORVAIRCENTER readers are welcome too. Kevin can surely get to Denver by then, heck it is only Thursday.

The PCV system will need some thought but believe me Gary is damned peristent in his efforts, he will figure something out.

Regards, Steve

Crankcase Ventilation
Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: February 17, 2005 10:14AM

I believe there's an easy answer to your question: Older Chevrolets used a screw-in style PCV valve on oil fill tube and a closed vented cap to air cleaner. This style of CCV was primarily used on GMC & Chevrolet trucks using small block V8s during the '60s. Same crankcase ventilation system was applied to medium duty 305 & 351ci GMC V6 and 348 & 409ci Chevy V8.

Re: Here is the GO!/ H@@ters !
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 17, 2005 11:47AM

Steve wrote>>>Kevin can surely get to Denver by then, heck it is only Thursday.<<<

Thanks for the invitation but I need a little more notice to get a better price on a ticket. If I spend the 1550.$ they want for airfare, I won't have any money left to leave a tip.

I've never been to a Hooters, we don't even have "those things" up here.gg

I am Making my Portland and Iowa reservations today though !

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson 65 Monza

Posted by: craig ()
Date: February 17, 2005 12:26PM

gary
what brand of headers are those, they look real snake like

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 17, 2005 02:53PM

Chet was real close, but actually the early Chevy PCV valve screwed into a 1/4 pipe elbow out of the back of the carb. There is an oil cap still available that pushes down onto the breather tube and has a nipple for hose that originally went to air cleaner. If memory serves, this tube is 1/2 diameter while PCV is 3/8, but shouldn't be too big a problem. I actually used that cap and screwed a pipe nipple inside it for 3/8 hose when I built a .080 overbored 283 for my first 68 Camaro. (300 duration cam, etc. 8500 rpm real quick, but not that big on torque, replaced it after 7 years with 400 small block with same cam and loads more torque).

Date: February 17, 2005 06:26PM

Guys:

Thanks for the suggestions on the PCV adapted to the breather tube/cap. Steve and I actually had a good coversation this afternoon about different ideas.

Craig, the headers were homemade; I bought the whole exhaust system from another V8 owner here in Denver (who replaced them with headers from Clarks ...... back when they still carried them). Unfortunately one of the tubes ran right in front of the spark plug on #7; the boot was right against the header, and you had to take the header off just to change plugs.

I spent almost 4 hours last Sunday cutting, re-routing, and welding that tube so I now have lots of clearance. That old metal is a challenge to weld!

Gary Hoffman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.