Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Judson Supercharger
Posted by: bbaker ()
Date: February 16, 2005 11:41AM

I am thinking about selling a Judson supercharger... it is in mint condition and includes the Holley 2-barrel carb (looks brand new), and the chrome crossover/intake.

Anybody interested or have any idea what it's worth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Judson Supercharger
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 16, 2005 01:19PM

The one I sold at Palm Springs a few years ago is on Eb@y right now. It looks like new.

Check out the auction to get an idea about price.

Not a lot of demand for them except as a conversation piece !

Just my .02

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:
Date: February 16, 2005 02:57PM

I checked on eBay... didn't find anything.

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: February 16, 2005 03:48PM

I'm very interested. Give me a price and i'll see if i can manage it.

Curtis

Date: February 16, 2005 05:11PM

It was sold with a "buy it now" . 800$. I was a little surprised !

Item # 4527759185. You can still view it.

It is the same one I sold at Palm Springs but he added a few pieces I was missing.

Steve may be on this list ?

It was in very good shape and appeared complete.

I bought it for 300$+postage to Alaska a few years ago, minus a few pieces. It was advertised on the CORSA website ads.

I had dreams of putting one on each side of a 140 but never followed thru

The is an active Judson website with free want ads and lotsa info. Even some early vair racer stuff/pics.

In England.

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:
Re: What about Procharger
Posted by: Pau A. DeVaughn ()
Date: February 17, 2005 03:51AM

Hey UNSAFE

Have you looked into using something like this new Procharger unit. It sounds like it may be promising for the Corvair. I'm thinking about it for my 3.8 V6. The picture is >32Kb and it won't load, but you can find it at [www.procharger.com] .

Paul

Attachments:
Posted by: Bill Elliott ()
Date: February 17, 2005 05:26PM

There IS decent demand out there. An NOS unit will bring over $1000, complete units $750+

I'd buy all the complete units I could get my hands on for less than $500... have bought and sold a handful of units in the last few years...none brought less than $500.

Bill

Date: February 18, 2005 10:06AM

What if they're not complete?

I don't have the pulleys or the oiler, and since I have never installed one, I'm not sure what else is missing.

I have the supercharger, the carburetor (both look brand new), and the chrome crossover tube (it says "Supercharger" on it.)

Any idea what an incomplete system like this is worth?

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 09:23PM

Hello all: The oiler is no problem, any oiler that uses MARVEL MYSTERY OIL will work. The idler pulley can be a little headache but not bad to fabricate, similar to the idler pulley on a smog pump. The drive pulley on the crank can be substituted for a smog or A/C pulley, close to the right diameter anyway.

Do you have the left side carb port adapter, the piece that bolts to the left head in place of the carb and has both the induction tube opening as well as the mounting points for the cross shaft. The cross shaft is the stock piece that any two carb Corvair used.

There is also the T fitting for the air cleaner stuff. It used the two stock air cleaner tops, one turned upside down with an element between them. This part is probably hard to find but not essential to the unit, any K&N unit that will fit the airhorn will work and probably better. There was a 90 degree from the carb top, both are castings and not easily found.

These days there are some better carbs for the unit also.

I have a customer here in Denver with the system on his car so I get some practice in keeping it going. I had one on an autox/street car years ago. I used the retard unit from a turbo to control the ignition. The exhaust sound from a pair of duals is amazing too but as someone above said, these days it is mostly a conversation piece, the output is not nearly as good as a good turbo or a Dick Landy unit. These days I would use the SAFEGUARD to contol the timing.

Remember too that these were designed for the 145 ci engines, low compression and small cubic inches. Making the ignition system work well is a challenge, even the VW pieces take some effort to keep the detonation down.

If I can help further, let me know.

Regards, Steve

Date: February 18, 2005 10:16PM

Oilers are easy to come by, I got a new non-marvel brand oiler on eb@y from a guy that specializes in them.

Not sure about the smog or A/C pulley working though.

I think the judson pulley was meant to fit a crank pulley and not a harmonic balancer.
The instructions mentioned indenting the oil filter for pulley clearance.

also said it would work on a 102.

They are supposedly noisy(clatter) at low speed.

Picture shows left manifold, pulley, mount bracket and air filter fittings.

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 19, 2005 06:50AM

Hello Kevin: Yes, I stated the oilers are easy to find.

The smog/ac pulley will work OK, remember when the Judson appeared there were no 90 degree oil filter adapters yet, the ac engines didn't appear until 1961. The original pulley was virtually the same diameter as the crank pulley and fitted against it. It makes no difference whether a balancer or a solid pulley is used, the spacing from the end of the crank is still the same even though the balancer is wider. The reason I can say that is because a cast pulley and a balancer both use the same ac pulley with no difference in the compressor mounts.

A 102hp is indeed a 145 ci engine as I stated.

The blower is noisy, the vanes move back and forth. There have been some tries at quieting the vanes with coatings but I don't think any ever worked well.

The Judson site mentions George Folchi, he is back east and is the rebuilding of all Judson units and he has parts also.

Regards, Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.