home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Timesert Spark Plug Repair
Posted by: JP_REX ()
Date: March 23, 2016 05:41PM

Hi Everyone,
The threads are stripped on one of the spark plugs on my Corvair, and I just received the Timesert kit (rental) from Clark's. I've read the instructions that came with the kit, the supplemental instructions provided by Clark's, and watched the video on the Timesert website.

I think I get the idea from all these sources, however, does anyone have any tips or tricks they can recommend for installing a Timesert in a spark plug hole with the head still installed?

Thanks!

John
67 Coupe 110/4-spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Timesert Spark Plug Repair
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 24, 2016 04:21AM

Duct tape some vacuum line or other small tubing to the crevice tool of a shop vac. You can insert it in the hole to get out filings that may have gotten in there.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 24, 2016 04:34AM

Grease in the flutes helps to capture filings but you want to get the grease out of the threads before installing insert.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 24, 2016 05:29AM

Make sure piston is down from the top of the stoke. The pilot end of the tap will enter the chamber and needs some clearance. I also grease the tap and most chips are captured by the grease. Depending upon the hole it is easier to remove carb and get some room for your hands and tap handle. Plug carb int hole too. Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: March 24, 2016 05:33AM

In addition make sure you have plenty of light to see what you are doing. Take your time. Its not really hard to do at all.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 24, 2016 06:12AM

Make sure you are at a true 90 degrees to the hole before you start turning.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: March 24, 2016 11:24AM

All I can add here is encouragement. I can relate to your reluctance to do this job. I was the same way when I had to do it on #3 cyl on my 140. I removed both carbs on that side to be sure to have a straight shot at it.

On a related topic, I once had a heli-coil stay with a sparkplug when I took it out of a 110. Took me quite a while to figure out why I couldn't get the new plug started. Lesson learned: Mark that plug wire so you remember to look for the sert when you R&R the plugs next time.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: March 24, 2016 11:38AM

I have never tried this but I have heard to take some string and put a light coat of grease on the string and feed into the cylinder. When you female the string it will have caught any shavings that fall.

Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: March 24, 2016 11:54AM

good afternoon all

when I had to do #1 plug hole I moved the piston down from the top some and filled the cylinder with shaving cream, afterwards used the small hose duct taped to my shop vac and sucked everything out
worked like a charm.

still have 150 lbs comression

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 24, 2016 12:27PM

It is tiny aluminum chunks. What few the grease doesn't capture gets tossed out of the exhaust. Heck I have broken carbon off inside the combustion chamber and upon start up engine knocks like crazy for three seconds and then all gone into the muffler.

If I do a turbo however I remove the xover and fire the engine for a couple of minutes.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: March 24, 2016 12:46PM

I have used a straw with some bubble gum stuck in the end of it to grab shavings . worked well.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 24, 2016 12:57PM

And if you run the engine with the spark plug out it will blow bubbles Bazooka Joe!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: March 24, 2016 01:57PM

ROD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used a straw with some bubble gum stuck in
> the end of it to grab shavings . worked well.

Knowing my luck, the gum would fall off the straw! eye popping smiley sad smiley

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 24, 2016 02:10PM

Art.. it would blow / burn out

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 24, 2016 05:20PM

Thanks all! Who would've thought that a well equipped garage needs shaving cream, bubble gum, and straws?

John

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: March 24, 2016 10:34PM

I guess everyone has this problem at some point.

When I got my "first old Corvair" many years ago I completely rebuilt the engine (it was a really nice rebuild) and it ran fine for a few weeks.

Driving to work one morning the Number 2 plug 'blew out' and I could not get it to tighten up. I was very close to my favorite FLAPS so I went in and bought a Heli-Coil Plug Repair Kit and a can of Axel Grease!

Went to the car and coated the tap with grease, then carefully tapped the plug opening for the Heli-Coil Insert. I went slowly and removed the tap several times to clean the grease and maybe put on a little more.

The Kit contained several lengths of Inserts so I was able to pick one that was close to the plug. I inserted it with the tool, put in the plug and drove away!

I drove the car for two more years with NO problems. When the body rust got too bad I pulled the engine and sold the body. I sold the engine to a friend and it was running well the last time I talked to him. He retired and moved away from Indiana. I know he drove it here for at least 10 years before he retired (he is a 'tiny bit' older than I) and never had any problem with the ignition.

Each 'problem' is a learning experience and your mileage may very!

This is how this 'shade tree' mechanic did it and it worked!!

I still have the Kit. I am not sure about the Axel Grease!?

Regards,

Dale

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 24, 2016 11:48PM

For those of you working on "opened up" motors. I suggest you inspect the spark plug threads in the heads very carefully. I bought the Timesert kit from Clarks along with a bunch of the inserts. Before assembling my current motor, I replaced all of the spark plug threads with the Timeserts. It is really easy to do on the workbench. Almost fun, (almost). Consider it an investment in the future of removing and replacing plugs from your motor. I have a stack of inserts ready for my next build.

Date: April 03, 2016 07:38AM

I finished installing the Time-Serts, and the engine is running great. I appreciate everyone's input!

After inspecting all the spark plug threads, I found two that were bad: one was totally stripped and the other was partially stripped & cross-threaded.

The only difficulty I ran into was getting the cross-threaded spark plug hole to tap straight. The insert ended up a little off-axis, but I can still get the spark plug boot into the hole in the top shroud, so it's OK. The hole that was stripped was really a snap and came out perfectly.

I took a few pictures which you can see below. Here's the basic process:
1) Use the step-tap to cut new, larger threads in the spark plug hole. The first set of threads on the step-tap match the existing spark plug threads, so this helps guide the tap. Apply grease to the end of the tap to catch the aluminum chips and be sure the piston is fully retracted to ensure you don't "tap" the piston.
2) Once the top cutting surfaces are about 1/4" below the top of the hole, slide the seat cutter over the tap. The seat cutter has two sets of cutting teeth: one to cut a chamfer to mate with the flare on the top of the insert and one to cut a spark plug washer seat.
3) Slide the T-handle wrench over the tap and lock it to the seat cutter. Turn the wrench until you get a freshly cut seat 360 degrees around the spark plug hole. Remove the seat cutter and tap from the spark plug hole.
4) Screw the threaded insert into the spark plug hole by hand as far as you can
5) Screw the driver into the threaded insert and continue to screw the driver in until it gets tight.
6) Once the driver gets tight, continue to turn it until it loosens up (this indicates the bottom threads have been locked inside the hole)
7) Unscrew the driver and you are done

A few notes:
* I removed the carbs for clearance
* I also removed the upper shroud for maximum access, however, I don't think it is essential to remove the shroud. In fact, having to work through the boot hole in the shroud may make it easier to ensure the tap is aligned (i.e. you can use the boot hole to help "eyeball" tap alignment)
* Although I did vacuum out the cylinder and spin the engine with the starter (with spark plugs removed) afterward to clear out any debris, I think virtually all of the aluminum chips came out with the grease on the tap

John
67 coupe 110/4-spd

Attachments:

Date: April 03, 2016 07:39AM

More Picts

Attachments:

Date: April 03, 2016 07:40AM

More picts

Attachments:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.