Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 04:05PM

I think my pass front coil is rubbing the upper cone housing.

When I bounce the suspension (by hand), it squeaks. Same while driving. None of the other corners do this. Inspecting both front coils, they don't sit centered around the shock, not perfectly at least. Both coils seem to contact the inside of the cone, as if they bow outward towards the wheel.

However, I removed the offending coil, checked against straightedge and looks perfect.

Both fronts are cut one coil at the correct place for the stops. When I put it back together, Squeak Town, USA. All suspension parts are 6 months old, including joints and bushings. Coils are Clark's non-HD, KONI shocks. It was set up by California Corvairs and the alignment shop they partner with. At that time, it was perfection.



Two stimuli that might have caused trouble:

1. I recently drove it cross country with all of my possessions in it, so my first thought was that I warped the coils with excessive weight, or buggered something else.

2. Flatbed tow truck made a mistake and my car was bounced pretty violently while on the platform. Hard enough that the oil pan hit and cracked.



I'm wondering if the coils might be bowing in use, but appear fine when not under load. Any precedent for that?


P.S., both ball joints look like this after 6 mo... which is a bummer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 22, 2016 04:19PM

You say new bushings. Were they rubber or urethane? Urethane bushings need to be greased periodically otherwise they can squeak. I seriously doubt your new coils are damaged or rubbing if they were installed properly.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 22, 2016 04:20PM

2 things, you do know the front brake reaction rod is loose in the picture? Also, most likely the squeak is coming from the lower A-Arm spring pocket, when you install the springs keep the end of the spring about a 1/4" or more from the edge of the pocket stop, sometimes you can jack the front end up and grab the spring by hand and rotate it away from the edge of the pocket, if the end is seated all the way against the pocket stop it will squeak!





Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 04:24PM

thewolfe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You say new bushings. Were they rubber or
> urethane? Urethane bushings need to be greased
> periodically otherwise they can squeak. I
> seriously doubt your new coils are damaged or
> rubbing if they were installed properly.


All rubber in the suspension... I think there is a single urethane in my steering linkage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 04:27PM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2 things, you do know the front brake reaction rod
> is loose in the picture? Also, most likely the
> squeak is coming from the lower A-Arm spring
> pocket, when you install the springs keep the end
> of the spring about a 1/4" or more from the edge
> of the pocket stop, sometimes you can jack the
> front end up and grab the spring by hand and
> rotate it away from the edge of the pocket, if the
> end is seated all the way against the pocket stop
> it will squeak!

Yeah, that photo is during disassembly. I'm just commenting on how the rubber is completely trashed already.


Thanks for the advice- I'm reassembling right now and will keep an eye on that, hopefully that does it. It didn't squeak when it was assembled 6 mo ago, but perhaps that tow truck shake-up allowed things to shift.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 22, 2016 04:45PM

6 mths?? bad rubber... BUT NO GREASE?? you inject lube until the boot swells....even when new!!





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 04:50PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 6 mths?? bad rubber... BUT NO GREASE?? you
> inject lube until the boot swells....even when
> new!!

I pumped everything full of grease 6 months ago... it's completely blown out, so I'm assuming it's all gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 05:35PM

Unfortunately, reseating the spring didn't do it. Still groaning when I bounce that corner, and now I'm noticing some definite friction. The driver's side goes smoothly through it's travel, pass side is sticking near the extended portion of it's travel, can be forced past it by lifting the car while bouncing.

What could be rubbing? The shock seems fine (removed it during disassembly today), feels completely smooth using hand pressure.

Also am I going to have to replace the blown out ball joints right away? Any danger to any other components by running em unprotected but greased for a couple months?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 22, 2016 05:53PM

Just replace the boots!!





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 06:07PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just replace the boots!!

Copy that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:20PM

Do not see how your ball joints had any grease in them.

Grease does not "wash out" - unless you steam cleaned the front end.

Given the condition of the boots, my guess is that the ball joint somehow rotated and tore the boot - rotating in the lower control arm or the stud rotating in the arm.

Generally, if the ball joint is "over-greased", the grease usually comes out the bottom of the lip of the boot.

RE squeak - Upper A-arm bushings?

Did you place the end of the spring away from the "stop" in the tower?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 22, 2016 10:12PM

RobertC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not see how your ball joints had any grease in
> them.
>
> Grease does not "wash out" - unless you steam
> cleaned the front end.
>
> Given the condition of the boots, my guess is that
> the ball joint somehow rotated and tore the boot -
> rotating in the lower control arm or the stud
> rotating in the arm.
>
> Generally, if the ball joint is "over-greased",
> the grease usually comes out the bottom of the lip
> of the boot.
>
> RE squeak - Upper A-arm bushings?
>
> Did you place the end of the spring away from the
> "stop" in the tower?

Both driver & pass ball joints are in identical condition, so I'm assuming a rubber quality issue instead of matching mechanical failures.

I'll loosen the upper arm bushing and see if it goes away. It's new rubber like the rest. The coil is seated properly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: March 23, 2016 09:14AM

Those ball joints look dry to me, any chance even though you greased them the grease dint make it into the joint. Could be a dry joint making the noise

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 23, 2016 05:25PM

63spyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those ball joints look dry to me, any chance even
> though you greased them the grease dint make it
> into the joint. Could be a dry joint making the
> noise

EDIT:
I checked behind the split ball joint boots, both sides have the original black grease in there, and some of the green grease I added today. So I'm certain they aren't dry.

Anybody in the Charlotte area know of a good suspension shop? Maybe a vintage Porsche or VW shop?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 05:33PM by liquorihardlyknowher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 23, 2016 05:43PM

Did you reform the end of the spring when you cut it one coil ?
Not doing so can cause the spring to "bend" and contact the spring pocket.
BC Dobson, NC

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coil rubbing cone housing?
Date: March 23, 2016 06:01PM

dryenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you reform the end of the spring when you cut
> it one coil ?
> Not doing so can cause the spring to "bend" and
> contact the spring pocket.
> BC Dobson, NC


I cut it at an angle to sit flush, if thats what you mean. If not you'll have to explain.

Also, I've been running this setup (including the coils) for 6+ months and it's been perfection until now. No adjustments or changes since then. This just started happening after the cross country trip.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.