home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT LED Lighting- how much have you converted
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 29, 2016 08:23PM

Great!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:55PM

Getting rid of old tubes and lights - keep an eye out for 'hazardous waste" events. Around here, there are various events where private citizens (not businesses, in theory) can bring stuff for safe disposal. (or possibly recycling)
I really don't know what the economics are, but it seems that civic groups will do these from time to time.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: December 19, 2016 03:33PM

Just put 3 LED shop lights in the right lean-to. They were bought from Sam's Club. I hard mounted them instead of using the chains. I measured the length of open channel after removing the end furthest from the power cord. Subtracted 1 inch and drilled first hole. Second hole drilled after assembled and placed in position on roof beams. Used that first dimension to drill first hole for other 2 lights

40 watts, 4500k lumens, 5000k color temp. Quite bright. Front 2 lights are switched together and aft light switched on its own. Center light will be turned off by pull switch unless it is needed.

Same lights will be used in maintenance bay and our carport.

Garage lights are still waiting to be converted. Should get them started following our trip to Corpus Christi after christmas.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 19, 2016 04:47PM

Man AL, those lights are bright. I am starting replacing all lights to led as we run out of CFL,s and all outdoor lights will be replaced as they burn out. But I never considered the shop lights. Not sure how much they are but I have a full box of 8' bulbs I need to use before I change them out. I have 4' over the work bench and a couple of other places and no spare bulbs for them, so they will be the first I change out as the time comes.

Thanks for the pics, these old eyes can use the extra light, and the reduced electric bill.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 19, 2016 06:21PM

I just bought some 2000 lumen 4000K color 4 foot ballast bypass LED lamps for the garage.

But first, I thought hmmm, the kitchen lights are on a lot, let's try them there first.

There are two 4 tube fixtures in the kitchen, wired so only two in each come on per switch, two switches, so we only ever use half the tubes unless we really need light.

Wow, just with the 4 tubes lit, my wife says she needs sunglasses. Then I turned on the second switch. eye popping smiley "Watch your eyes, Too late!" smileys with beer

I just ordered some 1800 lumens bulbs of the same type. Maybe I can take off the sunglasses.grinning smiley

Now to put these bright guys in the garage. BTW, the same bulbs also come in 2400 lumens! Luceco from Earth Led.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: December 19, 2016 06:44PM

Rather than mount the lights over the car, I mounted my garage lights beside the cars. That gives me 4 lamps (2 lamps per fixture) on each side of each car. These lamps are controlled by a pull switch on each fixture Also mounted a 4 foot shop light at the front of each car so I can see what is in the front of the car. Those lamps are all on a single switch.

I have tried some LED replacement lamps, but have not been pleased with their light output. Last pair I tried had 3700 lumen output.

Date: December 19, 2016 10:37PM

Yes they are bright, but for $100 they will definitely light up what I need at night.

My garage bay will have 2000 lumens LED bulbs, but has 8 fixtures that should give as much lighting. There are 3 lights on each side of the Monza with 2 in front of the car in the 10 x 13 work area. All these flourescents will be converted to LED soon. Bulbs are on hand, just need to get to the job. The LED light over the work bench is shown in an earlier post.

In the right bay (lean-to), I figured only these 3 lights were needed for the area since it is mainly storage area. I took down 3 fluorescent, which will be converted to LED for the Lawn & Garden Center.

The left maintenance bay will have the same lights over the work area on the garage wall side and one by the outside door over the air compressor. Outside above the door, I have a 200 lumens LED motion activated flood light to light up the walkway from the gate.

My house is now all converted to LED, except for the fan lights. Still looking for the right bulbs for them.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 20, 2016 05:16AM

[www.ebay.com]

I am running these in my garage for several months now. You need to re-wire the fixture. I couldn't decide what color temp I wanted, and ended up with 6000K . Very bright , quick start, no flicker.

I also changed my outside motion detector floods to LED. [www.homedepot.com]|THD|google|&mid=sW0ryjiIV|dc_mtid_8903o6225187_pcrid_89371456814_pkw__pmt__product_206344882_slid_&gclid=Cj0KEQiAyuPCBRCimuayhb3qqvwBEiQAgz62kY4sBgp8Q7N3gruNv9pbOEGyklfswOKEQgVCRM52DPIaAnRs8P8HAQ

I used the decorative classic filament type LED for the dining room chandelier led and bathroom globe bulbs. These are still somewhat pricey, but nice.

[www.earthled.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Robert G ()
Date: December 20, 2016 10:46AM

[www.1000bulbs.com]
Purchased from them and happy with the results.

Robert G
SW Kans (in the corner!)

Posted by: 406Vair ()
Date: December 20, 2016 10:46AM

We converted pretty much everything to LED when we bought our house. I hate CFL's, and the color of LED lighting is finally on par with traditional bulbs. I never bothered to do a break-even analysis. For me, it was always about using newer technology to reduce power consumption.

On the flip side, I consider keeping my 50 year old Corvair in good running condition as a "green" activity. While the emissions are not up to current standards, keeping the car out of the wrecking yard is a form of recycling in my mind.

Posted by: ken ()
Date: December 21, 2016 08:43AM

I stopped by Dollar Tree and bought some 60W, 9W actual for a buck apiece . Nice and bright !

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 21, 2016 08:47AM

Hydro is 18 cents a KWH in Ontariosad smiley , converted house to LED , shop is next.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: December 21, 2016 04:37PM

My wife and I just had a 3,000 sq ft barn built and I used all LED lights. The amount and quality of the light is amazing. We have 26 4' long 4 led tube lights throughout the barn and the loft, and I could not be happier with the lighting. Our electric guy thinks I am crazy for having so many lights, but there are virtually no shadows anywhere in the barn.

My house is another story. I have installed 8 candle shaped LED bulbs in our staircases, and nothing else. LOL. As bulbs burn out, I replace them with LED.

Corvair content: I do not have a single LED in my corvair :-)

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Date: December 09, 2017 11:36AM

Finally got time to convert my 4 foot fluorescent lights to LED. I installed 22w bulbs in all fixtures.

Looks good. Lots of light.

The last photo is my store room with 2 fixtures. Left fixture has 22w bulbs and right fixture is a 4500 lumens unit. It was easier to install a second unit that is controlled from the maintenance bay. Running 3 way switch wiring was impossible without removing the plywood covering the wall which would require removing bench and shelves.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Attachments:

Date: December 09, 2017 11:38AM

Here is a shot with fluorescent lights still installed.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Attachments:

Date: December 09, 2017 11:43AM

Photo below are the LED lights I put in for the Carport and the back porch. The photo shows the motion sensor LED light on the carport end. It comes on when we drive in. The second photo shows 2 4500 lumens 4 foot LED lights. The 3rd photo shows the 3 1100 lumens lights installed in the back porch.

All I have left to convert is one 4 foot fluorescent in the lawn mower shed.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Attachments:

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 09, 2017 11:59AM

I'm waiting to see how the reliability on the fluorescent tube LED replacements will be. No doubt LED lamps have improved a lot, especially the incandescent bulb replacements.

Two kinds of fluorescent replacements, one works with old ballast, other requires the ballast to be removed.

A local store with covered parking (very dark) changed over to LED lights in the parking structure last year and withing six months HALF of them had FAILED!!!

Date: December 09, 2017 01:09PM

Of all the LED lights I have installed, none have failed yet. Started 4 years ago with the globe lights over the sink in the master bathroom.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 09, 2017 01:25PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm waiting to see how the reliability on the
> fluorescent tube LED replacements will be. No
> doubt LED lamps have improved a lot, especially
> the incandescent bulb replacements.
>
> Two kinds of fluorescent replacements, one works
> with old ballast, other requires the ballast to be
> removed.
>
> A local store with covered parking (very dark)
> changed over to LED lights in the parking
> structure last year and withing six months HALF of
> them had FAILED!!!
The ballast has to be electronic, won't work with the older magnetic ballast. The electronic are thin and light, the magnetic you can hear them hum usually when they're on.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 09, 2017 01:38PM

LED lights have the advantage of not being as interesting to the bugs, the lower light color the better but they all work pretty well, apparently no UV light. If you choose a lower color scale, 3600 or less they are very effective at shunning the bugs, I like 5000-6000 for my shop though.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.