home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT LED Lighting- how much have you converted
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 20, 2016 08:24AM

To me LED lighting is the lighting to convert to. I have seen a dramatic decrease in my power consumption by converting the areas that have the lights on most constantly, bedroom, kitchen, master bath, office, and all outdoors motion lighting.

The cost to replace fluorescents units in garage is still a bit much at $40 a piece. I have 15 of the 4 foot units that need to be done. I will use them until bulbs go, then start the slow conversion.

I have been giving away all fixtures I take down. Some people don't want to convert to LED lighting. They don't like the glow. I buy the coloring for the area being illuminated. Soft white, bright white and yellow have all been used.

How much of your lighting have you converted? This not a Green energy project except to keep from sending power company any more green than needed.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT LED Lighting- how much have you converted
Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: March 20, 2016 08:39AM

I just got my house converted to almost all fluorescents ,all except lights on dimmers. I think I will wait for the price to drop a little more, my shops have 60 to seventy tube fixtures, not wanting to even buy bulbs let alone new fixtures

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: March 20, 2016 09:17AM

I have been changing them out quite regularly. In our kitchen we have 8 recessed lights that are on almost all the time. Changing those was expensive at around $160 (retrofits at the time were $20 ea) and noticed the electric bill seems cheaper. Then Consumers energy sent us a Green kit for free which included 5 LED bulbs, which went into our main full bath. I prefer the "warm light" 3200k range as opposed the the neon blue/white 5000k for inside the house. The price will continue to decrease, but for lights that are on almost all the time, I think you can come out ahead buying them now.

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: March 20, 2016 09:49AM

I am gradually moving to led. They are coming down in price significantly. I have purchased some 100-150w cob flood fixtures direct from China on the bay for around $25 per fixture. It is too early to judge life cycle. Time will tell.

On the fluorescent light replacement. Amazon has fluorescent tube replacements that are Led in the 15$ price range. There are different types. Some use the fluorescent ballast and some are direct voltage. I have replaced several and am very happy with the results. Two 18w led tubes provide measurably more light than 4 40w fluorescent tubes. The brand I purchased was hyperikon and will work with (most) or without the fluorescent ballast at anywhere from 100-277v.

I also bought a 6 pack of 60w equivalent LEDs with the plastic bulb diffuser at Home Depot. I believe they were around 2$ each in packs of six. So far one was no good out of the box. It hummed and got hot. No problems with the others.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: March 20, 2016 09:53AM

Porch light is now LED, most still have fluorescent in the house, only a couple still sure incandescent.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: rotted65 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 10:02AM

I have switch my entire house except for the garage to led. I like the light output. I had CFL bulbs and they all blew out and I didn't like the warm-up times. Garage is next to be swapped. I just have to finish the case of 10 ft bulbs PO left in garage. Noticeable decrease in electric bill. My k8ds are allergic to turning off lights.

69 monza 110 PG gone many years ago
65 corsa vert 4spd gone
New toy 66 monza vert 4spd

Posted by: kustom ()
Date: March 20, 2016 10:56AM

Only thing I haven't converted are my 4 footers. Kitchen had 4 60 watt regular bulbs on dimmer and converting to dimmer LED changed from 240 watts to 40 watts and that alone made a big difference in my bill. Kitchen lights are an most of the time.

64 Sedan
64 coupe

NW Ohio

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 10:58AM

When we do our renovation projects, my company is now routinely installing all LED lighting...recessed, under cabinets, fixtures, etc. A little more expensive, but so much nicer and last much longer.

Dave

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 20, 2016 12:58PM

I just went through this.

52 recessed can lights
42 regular bulb lights
10 undercabinet lights

I got bulbs at wholesale prices through my electrician. Total cost was about $1000. I calculated it will pay off in about 30 months.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 20, 2016 01:18PM

I am converting a few at a time in the houses and motor home. The very first was the bulbs in my retractable trouble lights. No more burned arms, hands or melted wires. Plus I dropped it a few times and they survive.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: March 20, 2016 01:44PM

I'm slowly changing over to LEDs from CFLs and incandescent.

One thing I've found out about CFLs is they don't like to be cycled on and off quickly; basically turn them on and leave them on. Cycling reduces their life.
I've used CFLs in day-night flood lights and they have lasted for years without replacing; halogen flood lights only lasted several months or until rain hit the hot covering.

I'm switching over lights to LEDs that are on for long periods of time (outside accent, mailbox, great room, kitchen) as the costs comes down and sizes are available.

An example is in the great room. Six 60W flood lights were replaced with 4.5W LED equivalent. Went from 360W to 27W. 8 hours a day for 30 days would be 86.4KWH vs 6.5KWH, almost 80KWH saved!

I ads up.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: devairguy ()
Date: March 20, 2016 01:51PM

Been converting them little by little in the most used areas of the house, Kitchen and dining areas, motion lights outside, some of the bathroom lights and table lamps, I have been quite happy with just the cheap 2 for 4.99 or cheaper non-dimable ones, soft or the warmer colored ones. nice knowing you can run 10 bulbs for the cost of running one reg bulb and instant on unlike the CFL's, with the short winter daylight hours they were on alot.

Todd Klawitter
De Forest WI

1963 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
1965 Corsa Turbo (sold)
1972 Olds 442 Convertible

[www.capitalcitycorvairs.com]

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 05:38PM

Most of my house is LED. I just started switching the garage. I had five 8 foot flourescents as you can see one in the picture. They were getting noisy and the ballasts were getting flakey. Not to mention the bulbs are a pain to buy and despose of. The hardware store had these 4 foot LEDs for 29 dollars a piece. 4800 lumens. They put out fantastic light! Instantaneously and quite too. I bought all they had, waiting for another shipment to finish out my garage. The light from the old fixtures is not even close in comparison.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 06:50PM

Added bonus. Insects cannot see most LED light, wrong wavelength for them, fluorescents are the worst for bugs, incandescent next. I haven't changed any at home yet but have been upgrading some at work. LED appear to be better than the fluorescent, fluorescent has lost their ability to work correctly because regulations lowered the amount of mercury in the lamps, they just don't function anymore, even when new.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 20, 2016 06:53PM

I fear change, I still use candles. smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 05:39AM

In Santa Cruz, with electricity at over 18 cents US per KWH, for my last warehouse addition I used all LED, also replaced about half of the office lights, replacing the rest as I ran out of old tubes. Also converted my road signs a few years ago.

Then used LED for almost all of my new house. Used a few of the mini florescent where I couldn't get enough light out of the LED's available. Still have incandescent in a chandelier that I can't find LED for.

In Tarija, electricity is 28 cents per KWH. I've had the little florescent for years, and once we start spending more time here I'll be replacing them. The mini florescents made a huge difference in the light quality, as we are at the end of the line and never got our full 220V to the house. Often around 159. Now with all the lights on it stays near 200V.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 10:14AM

DAVECS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [i290.photobucket.com]
> obile%20Uploads/12829075_1718820881731594_17689868
> 97703410322_o_zps9x1yfmpo.jpg
> [i290.photobucket.com]
> obile%20Uploads/12819296_1718820878398261_60700374
> 50001991247_o_zps4hsyprr7.jpg
>
> Most of my house is LED. I just started switching
> the garage. I had five 8 foot flourescents as you
> can see one in the picture. They were getting
> noisy and the ballasts were getting flakey. Not to
> mention the bulbs are a pain to buy and despose
> of. The hardware store had these 4 foot LEDs for
> 29 dollars a piece. 4800 lumens. They put out
> fantastic light! Instantaneously and quite too. I
> bought all they had, waiting for another shipment
> to finish out my garage. The light from the old
> fixtures is not even close in comparison.

Dave I have 2 questions for you: 1 How well do the LED'S work on the cold and 2 why is your quad so clean?

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: davhamm ()
Date: March 21, 2016 10:59AM

Nickshu Wrote:
> I just went through this.
>
> 52 recessed can lights
> 42 regular bulb lights
> 10 undercabinet lights
>
> I got bulbs at wholesale prices through my
> electrician. Total cost was about $1000. I
> calculated it will pay off in about 30 months.

HOLY CRAP, thats a shit load of lights... I just did a quick count in my head and got to 40 bulbs in my entire house its a 2400 sq ft ranch with full basement so thats 4,400 sq ft of space... and yeah the bulb count was slightly more upstairs something like 15 vs 22. I am sure I missed some so lets say I have 50 maybe 60 no where near your 104.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 21, 2016 11:02AM

66cv8 Wrote:
>> Dave I have 2 questions for you: 1 How well do the
> LED'S work on the cold.

I'm a different "Dave" but I can answer the LED question.

LEDs perform better and last longer the colder they get. As they get hot they use more current, output less lumens and age quicker. Cold is good for LEDs!

I've converted all my residential except my garage lighting. The T8's there are fairly new and I have over 100 high lumen bulbs that I got for free. The payback to convert the garage lights is over 14 years so I'll stay with what I have for now. It doesn't get cold here so fluorescents work well all year. I also have solar panels so my electric costs are stable and low for years to come.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: March 21, 2016 11:27AM

I'm gradually converting as my bulbs burn out. I've got maybe 1/3 LEDs and the rest are CFLs or fluorescent tubes on my first and second floor. There's a couple of incandescents that I'll replace when they burn out- the bathroom vanity lights and a couple of table lamps that are rarely used. Definitely no more CFLs. Those are a big disappointment for service life and they don't give full light until they get warmed up.

My finished basement has dozens of can lights in fixtures. They are 55W halogens so it can chug power when they're on. We don't spend a ton of time down there so it's not an issue. I've tried to find suitable replacements bulbs but haven't found anything yet. The previous owner also installed dimmers on several of the lights and the LEDs are hit and miss for working with them. Power around here is around 10 cents per kWh so it takes a while to get the payback.

All of my outside lights are LED and have performed flawlessly through all seasons. I also used LED ropelight under the handrail for the stairway leading down to my front door. The results were amazing!

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.