home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT - What is new in your garage?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 23, 2016 05:26PM

Buy Rough Service bulbs. The 50 or 60 watt versions. You can almost use them as hammers!

Note, welding splatter from the mig takes them out just as fast as the regular (out of production) bulbs.

I'm not speaking of the weird plastic coated rough surface bulbs. They might help against mig splatter.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: March 23, 2016 06:17PM

The scissor lift works great. It has allowed me to remove the engine directly onto a table so it can be disassembled. No need for a jack or atv lift. Plenty of clearance for power train work and front suspension is fully exposed with no interference from the lift. The center pan is accessable but you have to work through the lift assembly. It allows me to clean and wax the rocker area from standing or sitting position. The lift lays flat so I can park the car over the lift when not in use. For me, it was a good investment.

Tom Miller
Performance Corvair Group
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: March 24, 2016 01:25AM

Eastwood says "IMPORTED", they must mean from Germany or Switzerland or?
My buddy and I have decided to build the aluminum body of a 1964 AJ Watson Indy roadster. If it's anything like Snowball I'll post pics in 2026 so you can see our progress!

Attachments:
Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: March 24, 2016 01:34AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 20 ton press, been sitting in the box
> un-opened since thanksgiving!

20 tons, how are you going to pick it up?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 24, 2016 07:04AM

I guess that's why it is still unopened!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 24, 2016 07:08AM

He is probably waiting for Garage Chicken to peck and scratch her way into the box. Makes it easier to remove the box.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 24, 2016 07:17AM

Lift it with a 40 ton gantry...cool smiley

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: March 24, 2016 05:47PM

Just bought a Grizzly 12X36 metal turning lathe. It should come in tomorrow via UPS freight. I hope they're more careful than regular UPS. I'll be adding a milling machine next month so I can make my own tooling or parts.

Apparently Grizzly bought the rights to South Bend since some of their machines have the South Bend name plate. Their stuff is made in Taiwan which is, as it was explained to me, a high quality Chinese manufacturing company vs mainland China. Go figure !

Of corse being in Florida this is also necessitating adding air conditioning in my car shop. It requires two 4 ton units. I'm a little apprehensive about the electric bill.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 24, 2016 06:09PM

Just hock one car each month in the summer?? ggg

Doesn't matter where things are made... it was the "level of quality" the Primary Contractor wants..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 24, 2016 08:09PM

Anybody can make anything at any quality level or price point. As I've hears said, when the China manufacturer makes a price, that's the price to pay. Negotiate, and pay the consequences for junk.
Yesterday I was at the largest rebuilder of starters alternators and brake calipers in Canada, he buys most of his harware from China, brand new brake calipers from China. They're cheaper by the pallet than he can buy rebuilder scrap yard cut offs. He disassembles them, replaces the soft rubber parts, and then sells them as his own. China rubber is total junk, lasts a year or so, even not exposed to sun. I guess he gets new seals from North America? I will be by there Monday, maybe I'll ask him if I can make a video.

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: March 24, 2016 11:06PM

piecing together a TIG setup.
Got an old transformer-type arc welder a while back that has a high-freq attachment.
It seems the high-frequency attachment makes the arc easier to start and keeps it lit as the AC welding current swings from plus to minus.
Got an outlet installed, tested it with some 6011 and 7014 rod, works fine.
The arc is easier to start with the high freq unit running, though with rod it welds about the same.
Got a cheap TIG torch to go with it, still need the Argon bottle and regulator.

Date: March 25, 2016 06:47PM

TIG welders have two modes. One is the DC for steel or stainless steel with Argon gas shielding usually. The other mode for aluminum uses 180 cycle (referred to as high frequency) to maintain a stable arc. You will need the HF generator to weld aluminum or you can use DC with gas other than argon. I think Helium mixed gas is used for that. I've welded plenty of aluminum and SS with my Lincoln Idealarc 350 machine. Now for tinkering around I use the a Eastwood TIG welder which does an OK job for small stuff. It's a pretty cheap machine cost wise and they frequently have a combo sale with their plasma cutting machine, which is excellent. For around $1500 you can have the TIG & plasma machine and welding cart.

jmaechtlen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> piecing together a TIG setup.
> Got an old transformer-type arc welder a while
> back that has a high-freq attachment.
> It seems the high-frequency attachment makes the
> arc easier to start and keeps it lit as the AC
> welding current swings from plus to minus.
> Got an outlet installed, tested it with some 6011
> and 7014 rod, works fine.
> The arc is easier to start with the high freq unit
> running, though with rod it welds about the same.
> Got a cheap TIG torch to go with it, still need
> the Argon bottle and regulator.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: March 26, 2016 05:58AM

I added this hanging furnace this year, and it has been one of the best investments I have made. I also added a wifi router (before I just had a hard wired internet connection for the one computer in the shop) and a wifi thermostat. Now I can leave it at 45 degrees when I am not out there, and from anywhere with my smartphone I can bump the temperature up to whatever I want! No need to treck out to the barn just to turn the heat up!

Attachments:

Date: March 27, 2016 05:59PM

The WiFi thermostats are great. I have both houses fitted with them. The house in North Carolina is a vacation home so I keep it cool at around 52 degrees when we're not there in the winter time. But if we go up, I crank up the heat when we're on the road. I also have both houses fitted with the Zwave home control which allows me to turn on or off remotely the water to the house, turn on or off the water heater r any other appliance. I can also have cameras in the house to monitor what is going on while away. I tried the remote Zwave garage door opener but that failed to hook up so I gave up.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: March 30, 2016 06:01PM

I just brought this home when we had a couple of days of clear weather. Seller included some tooling; collets, chucks and several cutting heads. I removed the DRO box for the trip. The table has no holes and ways have very minimal play. My new garage (more later) even has 3-phase...

[corvaircenter.com]

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Attachments:
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: March 31, 2016 06:11PM

Nice Dale! Is that a 36" bed? Although it doesn't take up a lot of space, you can do a lot with it!

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 01, 2016 07:38AM

Added these micrometers this week. I needed them last week. I had to borrow. I don't like to borrow special tools.

I also added this Grizzly dial indicator with magnetic mount to do the rear wheel bearings/hubs.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Posted by: HarleyRider ()
Date: April 01, 2016 11:44AM

Not a tool but something that will require them LOL. Picked this up last week

Bob

1963 Monza Coupe, 110HP, PG
1965 Monza Coupe, 110HP, PG

Attachments:
Date: April 02, 2016 05:17AM

The TR8 reminds me of the late 1972 Chevrolet Vega rotary powered XP898. I saw it at the GM show car museum after the Corvair Recall near Detroit last summer.
I'm trying to paste a link to the January '73 Car and Driver magazine article, but my fone isn't allowing me to paste.
How has the TR8 held up over the decades? I have come to enjoy the TR6, at least the looks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 05:21AM by UGLYTRUK.

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: April 02, 2016 08:12AM

Like VairKing, When I lived in Illinois, I installed a gas hanging heater in the corner of my back garage, I also had remote switch system but it was old school as it just turned on the power. When home from work switch on the power and while having dinner it would heat the garage. Don't need heat here in Florida but do have Air Conditioning.
Gene Barr
Eustis ,Fl.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.