Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
UNSAVE and others, I have an idea for MORE POWER!!!
Posted by: Ryan Counterman ()
Date: February 14, 2005 04:50PM

Somebody has to have done this before, but maybe not. I have never seen any pictures of it done, but I cant think of why it can't be done. Why not somehow rig up a A/C clutch to engage/disengage the fan belt? Maybe even rig it up to a thermostat so it only kicks the fan on when its needed? The clutch could be mounted above the fan pully, or even possibly mounted in front of the harmonic balancer (clearance issuses maybe) but with it there you could disengage the whole belt, meaning no alternator or idler pully. At work we have a large spray rig (it gets towed behind my superduty pickup, thats how big it is) for spraying drywall mud, and it has a very intrigate system of solonoids and A/C clutches to engage and disengage various air compressors and pumps from the main engine. Somebody has to do it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Sorry I ment UNSAFE not UNSAVE...
Date: February 14, 2005 04:52PM

Sorry Kevin...

Re: UNSAFE and others, I have an idea for MORE POWER!!!
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:15PM

>>Sorry Kevin...<<<
Just don't call me late for dinner. gg

Ryan, You're a little late !

I think it's Warren Leveque who does it already.

Same as what you said using an AC clutch on the end of the crank.

I haven't seen one in action yet though.

I have a very small fan on my car.

On my Sprint with a variable pulley I got the extra power automatically------------
It would just throw the belt off at high revs. You CAN really feel the extra power when you throw a belt, like an extra cylinder kicking in.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza

Re: UNSAVE and others, I have an idea for MORE POWER!!!
Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: February 14, 2005 07:24PM

Sand draggers and sandcars [dunebuggys] do this all the time...Starr Cooke sells them on Ebay....

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 15, 2005 08:10AM

This would be OK for short bursts such as drag racing, but if run very long, heat would not distrubute evenly and you would have hot spots and cool spots which would encourage warpage. If you want to drag race, why not just remove the belt right before each run? Then you don't have the electrical drain holding the A/C clutch in while running normally.
Just had to put my $.02 in there.

Posted by: Kerry Baxter ()
Date: February 15, 2005 10:20AM

>>. Why not somehow rig up a A/C clutch to engage/disengage the fan belt? Maybe even rig it up to a thermostat so it only kicks the fan on when its needed?<<

It sounds to me if your going to this much trouble why not just mount an elec. motor that is controled to the fan? You could even make a resin mold and use some high temp plastics to make a lighter fan.

>>Then you don't have the electrical drain holding the A/C clutch in while running normally<<

What could the amp draw be?

Date: February 15, 2005 01:32PM

Eh it was just a thought I had the other night while lying awake in bed, I wont be doing this, as I have enough horsepower to put a grin on anyones face smiling smiley

Re: MORE POWER!!! Some more info... LONG
Posted by: Rick Loving ()
Date: February 15, 2005 04:04PM

As stated above there is already a drop in kit available (I seem to recall around $200-$300) for an electric clutch to release the connection of the fan system from the hub. Calculations suggest that the fan saps at least 15 HP at higher RPMs due to the weight of the fan and the pulley system.

Warren LeVeque sells/sold a thin alum disk that you mounted under the pulley and above the fan that would force cavitations at higher RPM’s. If the fan is not actually pulling air, the resistance is less, therefore requiring less horsepower to spin the fan. He claimed that under autocross situations in short burst rev’s you should be able to free up around 10HP and still maintain cooling before, and after the runs. When .01 of a second count 10 HP can be a win instead of a loss.

Other tricks for short runs are running the belt very loose and spraying it liberally with silicon. Under heavy acceleration the belt slips freeing up power and periodically catches to keep the fan spinning and cooling the engine.

There are also guys who have bypassed the fan all together with elec fans and alternate power sources for driving the fan like small motors or starters but these are generally only for short run times as they are not efficient enough for longer driving periods.

With all of that said I also know a guy with many years of Corvair autocross experience who knew on his car exactly where and how to power shift and throw the belt on purpose. When times were tight he would often fall back to this trick and “toss” his belt at the first chance from leaving the gate on a short course or at an appropriate spot in a longer course. At the end of the run he would jump out put the belt on and start the car up and let it idle down. 15 extra HP is huge when you are starting with a 110 or 140 HP base motor.

Rick Loving

Date: February 15, 2005 06:04PM

You can also adjust your T Doors real TIGHT.....then they open much later...closed = no airflow!

Rule of thumb for an average AX..1 minute or less...belt falls off at start or later..go for it!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 15, 2005 06:07PM

Many older cars used a 30 amp fuse for A/C clutch circuit, while most newer cars use 20. Granted the blower and gen/alternator won't drag quite as much as a compressor, but I would say you're looking at at least 7 to 10 amps. The point is that this current draw would be when you want the blower and gen. to run, which is most of the time. Easier to remove the belt for a short time, and save the gas mileage the rest of the time.

Re:AC Clutch
Date: February 15, 2005 09:10PM

Dan...you're not thorough enough...how races are run....

You turn off the Alt. during runs as well....run off the battery...simple relay....

Posted by: royce hildreth ()
Date: February 15, 2005 10:56PM

I saw this at the GWFBT in PS in 2002. Two guys each had similar set ups. Both drove their Corvairs to PS from Seattle (???) and said they did to prove to everyone that electric fans Work. Both Vairs looked beautiful.

Royce

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.