Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Rare Accessories 1960-1969
Posted by: jfrese ()
Date: June 28, 2020 11:36AM

Dennis, Thanks for the info. This is just sitting on my bench collecting dust. I hate to just give it away or throw it in the trash. Any ideas on who might be interested in it? TIA Jim

'65 Monza vert, 140, 4 spd
Halfway between Knoxville and Gatlinburg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: June 28, 2020 11:37AM

When it comes to options, there are several kinds. The main ones that we should be concerned with are, first off, options from the factory (RPO's), secondly options available either as RPO's OR from the dealer's parts department, and finally options that were designed to be used in a Corvair and only available through the Chevy parts department. Examples of same: First group the LM two-tone paint, second group AM/FM radio, third group stereo multiplex.

There is a fourth group that I don't feel quite qualifies, and that would be the accessories that GM designed for aftermarket sales, for use in GM and particularly Chevy cars, but not specifically Corvair. Examples would be the compass and tissue dispenser. I disqualify them simply because they were meant to be used on any car, and weren't listed as specific to Corvair. As such, they probably are common place and not Corvair related per say.

-Mark

Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: July 02, 2020 02:08PM

Mine is pretty much plain jane. 180 turbo with oil bath, 4sp and 3.55 rear gear. It does have the two spoke wood grain steering wheel and AM radio. Also has the factory extra washer fluid bottle in the trunk.

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
Chevy Cavalier because they drive like a go-cart

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 02, 2020 03:16PM

Joe, you have two fairly rare options right there; the turbo oil bath and the wood grain steering wheel. Hardly a plain jane car, unless you are referring to the number of options.

Would you believe I once owned a LM turbo coupe, and (if memory serve me right) the only options it had on it were the turbo and a manual tune radio? Yes,it was a three speed, but a base car with only TWO options! And a turbo 3-speed was one of them.

Weird ones are out there.

-Mark

Posted by: Vairnuts ()
Date: July 03, 2020 12:29AM

Stan, nice ski rack - didn’t know I “needed” a set until I read the thread, lol. On oil bath - have a 140 Corsa. On power antenna - concur that isn’t the 66 factory one - looks period olds to me. Factory one looks very similar to 66 Vette - different plug and not coated (Vette went in wheel well, thus the coating). Only 50 or so supposedly from factory. Antenna itself used also on 66 Caprice. Power antenna uses a lot of same parts as rear manual am antenna. Also concur factory antenna mounts differently - bracket goes down to area behind engine compartment spare tire. Mentioned earlier have the factory 66 headrests - also have what was sold to me as factory ones (ahem) back in 84 or so. They are adjustable with brackets that mount to back of seat - clearly aftermarket (round tube, two chrome arms that go behind seat). Several people have told me they thought they were used on Fitch Sprints - never researched that. Also noted someone mentioned the trunk opticlean bottle - got that, forgot and left it off my list. Just an accessory junkie.

Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: July 03, 2020 04:16AM

Mark, I figure mine should at least move well when I am finished. The 180 turbo with 4sp and 3.55 gears should get it out of it's own way. At least that is my hope because I do not plan to modify it.
Joe

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe, you have two fairly rare options right there; the turbo oil bath and the wood grain steering wheel. Hardly a plain jane car, unless you are referring to the number of options.
>
> Would you believe I once owned a LM turbo coupe, and (if memory serve me right) the only options it had on it were the turbo and a manual tune radio? Yes,it was a three speed, but a base car with only TWO options! And a turbo 3-speed was one of them.
>
> Weird ones are out there.
>
> -Mark

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
Chevy Cavalier because they drive like a go-cart

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.