Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Balancing Corvair Carberators
Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: February 14, 2005 01:34PM

I read the following article about balancing corvair carberators, I thought this was a really good idea.

[www.corvair.org]

So I found 2 DWYER MAGNEHELIC PRESSURE GAUGES MODEL 2330 on ebay and I won the auction ($20.50 + $8.00 shipping). Dwyer sells these for $66 each plus shipping. Needless to say I don't need 2 of them. If someone would like to buy one for half my cost plus shipping ($14.25 + shipping), let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balancing Corvair Carberators
Posted by: Noah ()
Date: February 14, 2005 02:45PM

I'll Take one! if still available.
Noah.

Posted by: Radio Joe ()
Date: February 15, 2005 02:29PM

Great Info! Thanks for posting the link.

Re: Balancing Corvair Carburetors
Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: February 15, 2005 03:15PM

Just for grins I thought I'd post this response.
The Unisync is a great tool. You don't have to mess with any vacuum lines or take anything apart. It's very easy to adjust the tool properly and makes it very easy to sync the carbs, duals anyway. After the first time it's about a 5 minute job and the results are great. My 110 purrs like a kitten.

As most probably already know, anytime you even sneeze close to the throttle linkage it needs to be synced again so I found it to be the quicker and easier method to achieve this.

By the way, the best pricing I've found for the Unisync is from Larry's if purchased direct from his website.

My 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 15, 2005 05:18PM

Hi Bob,
I have used both and both work well. Some advantages of the Magnehelix over the Unisync are:
1. They install even quicker since you don't need to remove the air cleaner. Just pull off the choke pulloff tube and replace with the Dwyer hoses. Replace when done. No disassembly or reassembly of the air cleaner required.
2. They can also measure the balance dynamically when you press the throttle and through the rpm range. This is something not possible (easily) with the Unisync.
3. Since your air cleaner is intact, it measures closer to actual running conditions.

--Larry

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 15, 2005 05:45PM

While there are better tools than the unisync I have found them to work fine on the "Rottenchester" carbs.

Note; I was just reading about carb sycronizers on the net and found a statement that said you should ---

--- only use American made Unisyncs made in the 60s because the more recent Chinese made units require you to have the adjuster almost closed to get the ball to float . This causes a restriction at the tool that may alter the airflow.

If you really like tinkering with carbs you should try syncronizing all six barrels on my Weber carbs !

The first pic is what I use !

OOPs, I meant the second pic.gg

"UNSAFE"

Kevin Willson 65 Monza

Attachments:

Re: Unisyns
Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: February 15, 2005 05:59PM

Bob Gill says; As most probably already know, anytime you even sneeze close to the throttle linkage it needs to be synced again so I found it to be the quicker and easier method to achieve this.

Bob, how do you figure? The linkage has only one adjustment point....if you just take ALL the slop out...including shaft side movement....it's bullet proof!

Chinese Unisyns...you MUST ADD a second gasket...the air horn on a HV hits!

Snails? [ 2nd of Kevins items] they work well with Larrys / Chinese K&N knockoffs on HV's by using the rubber base!

Posted by: royce hildreth ()
Date: February 15, 2005 11:24PM

Yes Ken's article on the Magnehelix Balancer is great. When he was here in San Diego he used his Magnehelix balancer on my viar and it ran beautiful. Ken's directions for building the balancer are also on our website at www.sdcorvair.com. Go down towards the bottom to Tech Talk. There is also another great write up about how to rebuild your heater box. Both write ups have a couple pictures/diagrams that also help.

Royce

Posted by: JimO ()
Date: February 16, 2005 06:49AM

Hey good info on the "newer" unisync, I bought one recently from a Corvair Vendor and it didn't work. Glad I didn't toss it at the wall like I wanted to, will have to try the additional gasket.

BTW, anyone try the dual carb balancer that Harbor Freight sells? Looks interesting....

- Jim

Posted by: Dominique ()
Date: February 16, 2005 10:18AM

Kevin,

Have you used the Universal Synchro unit to tune your car? It looks like a great unit but would it work on the Corvair carbs as apposed to your webers? I was curious as to the price so I called. They want $1,400 for its. The Dwyer method sounds much more economical.

Thanks for sparking some curousity in me though. I am always looking for new things to try.

Dominique

Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: February 16, 2005 01:15PM

Wow, I got a lot of responses for my lousy 2 cents.

Okay, I'll admit that if you want your carbs sync to be within a gnats ass of each other throughout the full stroke of the throttle you can pay big bucks for equipment or if you just want the car to idle and run decently without going to a lot of trouble or expense the unisync does fine. I own magnehelics as they're tools of my trade and just found it to be much more convenient than messing with the hoses. Again, my 2 cents. Cheap advice for the non performance, just happy to have their Vairs running decently folks.

~sigh~

Bob

Posted by: John Bittner ()
Date: February 17, 2005 04:05PM

I looked up the model number of the Magnehelic and found that it is a
15-0-15 inches on water meter. Is this a workable range? or would another range be more useful

Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 17, 2005 04:41PM

From memory, works wonderfully! I don't have the tool right by me currently. This is a wonderful tool using Ken Schrifttner's approach.

-- Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.