Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Towing a 'Vair - Dolly?
Posted by: Tom Freeman ()
Date: February 14, 2005 12:38PM

Looking for thought (pro and con) on using a dolly to tow a 'vair. Problems, issues?? (automatic trans).

tom...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Towing a 'Vair - Dolly?
Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: February 14, 2005 12:50PM

Hi Tom,

I asked the same question on this forum just about 3 weeks ago. It was something like 2 for the dolly and 8 for the trailer. I ended up going with the trailer and thankful for it.

U-Haul rents a trailer called an Auto Transport. It made the job go easy and I highly recommend it. If you do choose the dolly you'll want to tow it with the front wheels on the ground.

I'm sure others will have something to say about it but you might want to use the forum's search and find the old threads discussing the same thing.

Bob

Date: February 14, 2005 01:09PM

It is a convertible so cannot do the front wheels on the ground unless I want to install a new top sad smiley

tom...

Posted by: Matt N. ()
Date: February 14, 2005 02:28PM

In the last 2 years I've Dollied 2 different Vairs....1 backwards one forward...

The Vert went BACKWARDS....safetybelt holdingthe wheels steady!

The Deciding thing is what are you towing with?

I towed the vert with a pickup /camper shell [topper?] top up..windows all up

If you break the wind with your tow vehicle no problems...

I just dollied my 69 cpe with front wheels up...because it's easier to load, etc..

PG?? I towed my Speedskater all over...SoCal....400 miles at a time....in NEUTRAL! It has a rear pump to keep things lubed....

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: February 15, 2005 03:49PM

I towed my LM approx. 600 miles with a dolly, front wheels on the dolly, with no problems except for a starp coming loose once. Just make sure you stop periodically to check the straps etc.... (If you use a dolly, you may want to add some extra lighting to the rear for night-time)

If you use a U-Haul car hauler, I believe you must have a truck & hitch rated for whatever they offer, or they may not rent to you. U-Haul has info about all of that on their website.

P.S. I highly recommend the "extra lighting". When I towed my Vair I was paranoid about the dolly lights not being very visible at night. I bought two small LED light units made by "Bell" at K-Mart or Wal-Mart....The unit has 6 LED's that have six different variations (steady on and various blinking modes) I believe they were in the sporting goods section and meant for joggers or bicyclists. One of the best $20.00 investments I ever made. (10 each) They use 2 AA batteries that are still going strong after the 600 miles. Take along some duct tape to mount them anywhere ! I keep one in the glovebox of the Vair for any unexpected lighting malfunctions.
Bill

Date: February 16, 2005 06:58PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Looks like will be going with a trailer.

tom...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.