Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Imron Paint
Posted by: Mark Geygan ()
Date: February 13, 2005 07:47PM

Can anybody give me some advice on Imron paint. I had my 68 Monza painted with Imron red and some of it started to bubble. The body shop wasn't sure if they could blend it in. It was the first time any of them worked with Imron paint. Bunch of young guys. Does anyone know if it works the same as the acryllic enamels and what not. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Imron Paint
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: February 13, 2005 10:03PM

Mark - I am not an expert, but you'll need to get an "expert" to help you make this decision. If your paint was done with Dupont Imron, the polyurethane based paint, then I'm 100% positive that you have to have the entire panel refinished. If you had the car painted with the acrylic based Imron, I think you can "blend in". I'm basing this info on what I remember from friends cars that were painted in the 70s with the poly version of Imron.

Once you figure out what the car was painted with, I would suggest talking to your local Dupont rep to find out who is either using that paint system in your area or is familiar with the system - stay away from those "young guys" if you're not confident in their abilities.

Re: Imron Paint
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 13, 2005 11:32PM

I remember Imron being airplane paint.

A "simple" google search with the words- acrylic paint over imron-- brought up 680 web pages of info including some body and paint forums.

I think you can still get Imron ? Maybe an aviation supply.

"UNSAFE"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 15, 2005 08:42AM

Mark, When any new paint bubbles it's due to chemical incompatibilty. This could be that they didn't clean the prior suface well enough (enamels) or didn't use a proper sealer (not primer) under the Imron. If your Imron is polyurethane, and body was not taken to metal and primed with epoxy or urethane primer, then it MUST have a sealer that acts as a barrier coat between what was left on the car and the poly on top. Enamels and lacquers tend to be a little more forgiving, but a sealer coat is the best idea for any kind of paint. Just don't confuse "primer/surfacer" with sealer.
Even if your Imron was poly, you can repaint a portion and then blend, but matching is difficult, and even so if the paint bubbled in one spot, it may pop up elsewhere as time goes on, depending on why it bubbled in the first place. If your budget allows, I would suggest repainting the whole car at a shop that's familiar with whatever paint system you want to use, then use a whole system (Dupont primer, sealer, top coat intead of Dupont this, PPG that BASF this other,etc).

Posted by: rick macdonald ()
Date: February 15, 2005 12:09PM

There is a great auto body forum not unlike this one at www.autobodystore.com

Lots of Pros lend advice and share horror stories, (told you it was similar!)

Check it out...-Rick M.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.