Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: 110 Engine Big 1.72" Valve Mod Project (Bill Thomas Tribute heads)
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: July 23, 2020 06:52PM

Vairy nice!
Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 09:33AM

Wow, they look good!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 24, 2020 09:52AM

More power too, when I get it together.

Date: August 11, 2021 01:53PM

Been awhile on this discussion.

I turned in the block to machine shop to have it hot dipped.

I will build this Big Valve engine at same time I am building the More Door engine. Might as well do it together while my memory is fresh with the procedures in my head. Plenty of room in my garage for both engines and their parts.

Date: August 18, 2021 02:37PM

I took the crankshaft in today to have them press the crankshaft front gear on. We were told to expect to pick up crankshaft from machine shop on Monday.

I had the block at the machine shop for a hot tank bath and got it back today. We are in process of deflashing the block and verifying all gasket surfaces are clean, smooth and level.

Also setting up the engine build parts in the garage from the bins I have them stored in. It should be interesting building 2 at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 02:39PM by Lane66m.

Date: August 31, 2021 01:36PM

I got the crankshaft back this morning. They installed the crankshaft gear and polished it. I installed the fuel pump cam, spacer and distributor gear.

I also did plasti-gage check on the mains with a new set of STD bearings. The polish was a bit much and now I need a set of 0.002 u/s main bearings. I also plasti-gaged checked 2 rods with new STD rod bearings. they were at the max limit of 0.003", so I need a set of 0.002 u/s main bearings.

So this engine build is stopped for another week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 01:39PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: August 31, 2021 05:36PM

Pics or it didn't happen, as they say.

Date: August 31, 2021 06:19PM

No reason of posting pictures of parts scattered on the benches and 2 wooden stands holding the cases for the 2 engines. When engines start coming together, photos will be posted.

Date: September 02, 2021 04:42PM

I got word this afternoon that my Clark's shipment is with USPS. So maybe by next Thursday I will have the bearings for both engines. I can still do some things while waiting on them.

This afternoon, I check the ring gaps on all rings to their cylinders and installed them on their pistons. Assemblies were installed and skirt clearances were checked.

Photo shows my bench tool I use to set up cylinders and pistons. 2nd photo is for the inquiring mind you wanted to see a bunch of scattered parts. This photo shows 2 1/2 engine cases on their wood stands and lots of parts for the engines around and behind the red carts. Right cart is the Big Valve Engine. Most of its parts are still in the storeroom off the garage.

Attachments:

Date: September 09, 2021 02:29AM

Finally got the bearings for both engine builds after a delivery fiasco with USPS. I had to go pick them up in Savannah Po yesterday. This is after a Tuesday misdirect Jacksonville FL Center did, when it should have sent them to our local PO. Then Savannah PO sat on them for a day, after saying they would put them on the truck to our PO for Wednesday morning.

Anyway I will start this build after I get the other engine build together where it can be put on the engine stand.

Date: September 09, 2021 12:42PM

I installed the 0.002 u/s main bearings and did the plastigage check of them. All were at 0.002" on the gage. So all is well with the install. I removed the case half, cleaned off the plastigage and lubricated the bearings with assembly lube.

Installed new camshaft with assembly lube and set timing. Camshaft lobes greased up with cam lube.

Case half installed and bolts/nuts installed. Hardware was torqued in sequence and staged up final torque. In between each stage of applying torque, case was tapped with leather mallet and the crankshaft was rotated to ensure it was not locked. Installation was a success,

Installed oil pick up and hardware.

Installed new seal on manual bell housing. Installed bell housing and new seal. Engine is now ready to move to an engine stand for further work. I have to go borrow one from my friend down the road tomorrow.

Attachments:
Date: September 24, 2021 01:54PM

Cylinder assemblies installed. Both heads mounted to studs.

Date: September 26, 2021 03:09PM

Worked on right head installation today. Ceramic coated cylinder heat shield, reprofiled lifters, NOS push rod tubes w/new seals, new Blue Chip upper head nuts and used rocker nuts and plates w/new seals installed. All nuts torqued up. NOS push rods and NOS rockers & balls w/used nuts installed. Valves adjusted for each cylinder with lifters for the cylinder being adjusted not on any portion of the lobes. A painted valve cover installed temporarily to keep area clean.

Date: October 08, 2021 05:03PM

Worked on left head installation today. Ceramic coated cylinder heat shield, reprofiled lifters, NOS push rod tubes w/new seals, new Blue Chip upper head nuts and used rocker nuts and plates w/new seals installed. All nuts torqued up. NOS push rods and NOS rockers & balls w/used nuts installed. Valves adjusted for each cylinder with lifters for the cylinder being adjusted not on any portion of the lobes.

Valve covers were installed. Started prepping rear cover for its installation. Oil pump installation is left to do.

I used Blue Chip tools designed head nuts and washers on this engine. I wasn't keen on leaving a 0.43+" deep hole to gather dirt and trash on the each head stud thread tops. I inserted a 3/8-24 x 3/8 Allen set screw with thread locker in each nut to seal the well top.

[www.bluechiptools.com]

Attachments:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.