Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC wheels Differences???
Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: January 06, 2016 11:47AM

I'm still getting sources in order for buying FC wheels. I just talked to Jeff at Corvair Ranch and he said that some years of FC's were different then other years. When he asked what year I needed I told him '64 and he said he'd have to look and compare what he had.
So FC experts what are the differences and how can you tell? Is it backspacing, hubcap mounting or ??? EddieB Dade City,Fl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 12:33PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC wheels Differences???
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: January 06, 2016 01:06PM

The differences are relatively minor. They are all the same size and backspace, and will all interchange among any FC.

The '61s have the 'nubs' that hold the full wheelcovers. For hub caps, there is no functional difference. So, unless you are concerned with using model-year-correct full wheelcovers, just get four that match.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 08, 2016 01:40PM

The later ones have what's called a Safety Bead. If you look at the outside edge of the wheel, where full wheel covers grip. The early wheels are flat. The... I believe 64 - 65 wheels have a impression going all around the wheel. This is a inner rim safety bead for the outside of the wheel. I believe there may have been a concern back then about running the relatively new radial tires, that have sidewall flex. At least that's the explanation I heard back in the day.

That said... the earlier wheels never seem to have any issue with radial tires.

The other thing to look out for is the 14in Impala wheels that look like Fc wheels, but have the wrong offset and will scrape the suspension.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: January 08, 2016 01:55PM

Thanks for the input on my FC wheel question. My 64 GB presently has late model Pontiac wheels on it and two bar wire wheel hubcaps!! They fit tight and according to the PO have been on for years. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 08, 2016 02:18PM

Kinda like these? smileys with beerI like the 2-bar wheel cover look on FC's. My Greenbrier is a 64 and properly should have the 3-bar spinner covers. But for me the 3-bar looks too modern for the body style of the FC's.
The Rampside is a 62... so they are just right!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 08, 2016 03:45PM

The first picture is the early style FC rim. Note that the rim is flat metal inside of the bead. You can also see a wheel cover retention nub just above my red mark.

The second picture is the later style rim with the safety bead.

Note that, because of the way the FC wheels are made (rim drop closer to the back), tires are supposed to be mounted from the backside.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 03:46PM by cnicol.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.