Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: Having fun piecing my basket-case '60 engine together
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 17, 2016 09:04AM

Amen to that Mel!

I have also purchased and assembled several other basketcase cars. This one is forgivable; the guy who owned it passed away (quite young for that fate, I hear he was in his 40's) and the work done on the engine all seems to be properly done. The owner before him was the one who took it all apart and got over his head.

My '65 EO Corsa 180 convertible (finished and sold about 8 years ago) also fits the scenario of "taken apart by an idiot who was over his head" perfectly. I think that guy's only skill was the use of a wrench and screwdriver and only in the counter-clockwise direction...sad smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 17, 2016 09:08AM

I would say not just Corvair's but old cars in general, In my area I know where 50 or more Corvair's are stashed away in piles at different locations and the owners Won't sell them as they are "going to restore them" but they sit for 30-40 years UN-touched till that day comes when the old guy passes on and the cars get scrapped, I pick up all I can handle just to at least do something with them, My perfect 60 was headed to the junk yard, I saved it from certain doom, But can't save them all eye rolling smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: January 17, 2016 09:14AM

Way back on the first page on the engine picture: wrong fan pulley on generator. The gen fan is supposed to push air away, not try to scoop it in. Centrifugal force wants to throw air outward.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Date: January 17, 2016 09:21AM

! Good catch Clark. That's one of the many generators from my stash. I tested it for operation but didn't notice the wrong pulley. I'll change it out. Thanks!smileys with beer

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: January 17, 2016 09:28AM

GWLee wrote: "Craig it looks like you are coming along nicely on your 60. That 60 Monza hub cap looks nice. Did you get a set or just the one?"

Thanks for the comment. As for the hubcaps, I had one "in stock", bought one on ebay, Tom Pedigo had two, and the rest are coming from Motohead. Out of those I'm sure I'll have a nice set of four or five caps. smiling smiley

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 17, 2016 11:02AM

I agree with Mel's comments. I can personally attest to it as I have purchased numerous Corvairs (and Mustangs) over the years where people get in over their heads and never finish.
Love the thread. Keep up the good work!

Lee J

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: January 17, 2016 11:49AM

I've noticed that with age, more and more seem to have been severely bastardized. The AC Corsa that Senior Craig encouraged me to buy, was an impressive pile of new parts, almost all of which were not installed correctly. The PO drove it all over and even autocrossed it. I drove it once to the gas station and after saying a prayer and limping it home, proceeded to remove the motor, which began 3 months of repairs to get it reliable.
Great job on the '60, Craig. I'm impressed that you are putting in the time to learn what is correct, collect the parts and install them correctly. Lots of people, maybe myself included, would be tempted to slap a pair of LM carbs and air cleaner on it and get it on the road.

Mike
YS-117

Date: January 20, 2016 08:24PM

Big shipment from Motohead arrived yesterday so I had my marching orders...

Today's big projects:
Axles
Service and install a good used wheel bearing and then piece the axles together from the diff seals out. The side with the good used stock bearing was easy.

The other side has a zoomy aftermarket bearing in a black anodized aluminum housing. Totally not fun; it took me hours to get that one side together. Let's just say it's not a clean fit. Lotsa mods later, it was done too.

Carburetors and linkage.
When I got this car, the only piece between the gas pedal and the intake manifold was the gas pedal itself, which was incorrectly assembled and not bolted to the car. With Motohead's parts I was able to fix that. I glass-bead blasted all the linkage and installed the whole shebang including fresh carbs supplied and rebuilt by Motohead (Look great thumbs up) and new grommets and boots all the way through.

In addition to the big projects, I installed a Corvair-type generator pulley (thanks to Clark for noticing that), replaced the worn nuts and bolts on the idler pulley bracket, assembled the rear brakes, routed the speedo cable through its funny little path to the trans, and installed the long gas heater fuel line in the tunnel.

It's amazing how long things take for a "missing parts basket case". Normally when you reassemble a car you're dealing with a complete pile that includes everything needed. In this case I discover the need for a dumb little part, let's say a brake shoe retainer "nail". Digging through my semi-organized parts for a correct early (shorter) nail took half an hour or more for that one piece. Now multiply that times 50 and you get the idea. Fun, but time consuming.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Date: January 20, 2016 08:29PM

Big shout out to Steve Goodman! smiling smiley

Without asking, Steve dug through his library of carburetor tags and found a matching pair of '60 Carburetor tags and mailed them to me.

Thanks so much Steve!smileys with beer

Now I know the "Big Secret" of the hints you were dropping. Good job.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:30PM

You can never have too many good friends and too much fun!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 20, 2016 08:57PM

Tom Pedigo is playing a big role in this project too. We did some trading (IMO biased in my favor; thanks Tom!)

From Tom I got two nice, rare '60 Monza full wheel covers, a nice sunvisor, some other bits, and... a whole car! (Well, most of a whole car winking smiley) This '64 will donate its rear window mechanisms (my car has fixed rear windows), all the chrome around the windows, roof rail trim, windshield, backlite trim, and a rear bumper. No doubt there will be many more little bits sourced from the '64. Thanks Tom!

Also from Tom's stash: a rare aftermarket paper air filter for a '60. From GM, '60's had an oil-wetted foam sponge air filter. The aftermarket came through with a replaceable paper element filter and Tom had one. Now, I have it on the car.

It was funny, I looked at my NAPA master interchange catalog and it skips from Lee LFA-45 to LFA 47. No mention of this number although its dimensions are very close to some available NAPA filters. Weird alien '60 Corvair stuff again...(Insert Twilight Zone theme song here)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: January 21, 2016 04:02AM

smileys with beerthumbs up

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: January 21, 2016 05:32AM

Did all '60s come without roll down quarter windows or were they an option or only available on the higher models?

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Date: January 21, 2016 05:56AM

Ed Dowds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did all '60s come without roll down quarter
> windows or were they an option or only available
> on the higher models?

Craig replies:

Fixed rear windows were one of the many things GM did to reduce the price (and desirability) of the "price leader" 500 model.

Back in the day, the automakers (and presumably the public) paid a lot of attention to the "From $1995" type lowest price number. I hear that even a $10 difference from your competitor's lowest price model was supposedly a big deal.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 7004doorL ()
Date: January 21, 2016 11:47AM

May I suggest putting a rubber cap on the little port on the air cleaner housing? Engine is looking real good.

Mike
1960 4 Door PG

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: January 21, 2016 02:49PM

7004doorL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> May I suggest putting a rubber cap on the little
> port on the air cleaner housing? Engine is looking
> real good.
>
> Mike
> 1960 4 Door PG

Or he can get the hose and metal lime that runs under the distributor then to the passenger exhaust manifold. It draws heat into the air cleaner housing, for some reason. I don't understand what it is for considering 60's have the metal tube on the drivers side which draws heat into the system, to prevent icing. But why the one at the rear?

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Date: January 21, 2016 04:05PM

Lee wrote: "Or he can get the hose and metal lime that runs under the distributor then to the passenger exhaust manifold. It draws heat into the air cleaner housing, for some reason. I don't understand what it is..."

@Lee & Mike:
I haven't run any vacuum lines yet. Rest assured winking smiley they'll all get hooked up soon.

What it is:
This is one of those "hip bone is connected to the leg bone" things. Overall, it's the hot-air system for the choke coil.

1) Vacuum from the vacuum balance tube is connected to the choke housing, causing it to suck air at the threaded inlet connection.

2) The threaded inlet connection is connected to the exhaust manifold using a cloth-insulated tube.

3) There's a tube through the exhaust manifold (Isolated from the exhaust) that warms the air that's being sucked through by 1 & 2 above.

4) Air gets sucked into the exhaust manifold passage through the rear tube by the ignition coil.

5) The tube by the ignition coil is supplied with clean air from the air cleaner nipple.

Clear as a bell, eh?smileys with beer

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 21, 2016 05:57PM

Neat! My '60 Monza came to me with a late engine dressed to look like a '60. Seems kinda like cheating. I have wanted to put together the original '60 stuff but too much work when what is there is fine. Nice work Craig.

Date: January 21, 2016 08:40PM

It's a refreshing change to work with all this unfamiliar '60 stuff (and absorb some of my excess inventory).

It's also interesting to see how certain jobs were simplified over the years. The number of small parts on top of the engine is almost shocking compared to say a '65 110.
Front transmission bolts on this '60 aren't brainless like later years, and finally, saving the best for last, you haven't lived until you install a '60 starter.

It's a good thing I have a curved box-end wrench 'cause I sure couldn't find an angle to get my arm through to use the normal ratchet/extension. At least the solenoid was easy.cool smiley

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:44PM

Is that the NOS starter Nose cone I sold you? I been looking at that box on the shelf for 40 years!grinning smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.