home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Corvair 5 Speed UPDATES!! smileys with beer
Posted by: Kent Sullivan ()
Date: April 05, 2017 09:03AM

Yes, that's correct. Next batch of photos will include a couple that show the type of seal we chose and how it was installed.

v8vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The input side of the trans must be sealed ? That
> will be nice being able to run a good GL5 in the
> Diff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 08, 2017 05:24PM

Another mini-update, showing the sleeve and seal being installed on the Corvair T5 output shaft--the final item to keep the dissimilar lubricants separated between transmission and differential.

The shafts are a work of art but were not polished enough for a seal to make rotational contact without tearing, so we first installed a SKF brand "Speedi Sleeve" to provide the appropriate surface.

You can also see in the second picture that the lubricant transfer hole has been plugged, with epoxy.

Attachments:

Date: April 10, 2017 06:46PM

Update: After "only" 15+ years, Corvair T5 conversion #13 was mated to a differential today. Woo-hoo! When we first mated them, we realized that the top cover for the diff was interfering. Makes sense once you look at a stock Corvair transmission -- the top of it is lower than the top of the diff, so no big deal for the diff top cover to extend a bit.

Not the same situation with the T5 conversion, as the second photo shows. The fix was easy--make the holes in the cover slightly oblong and notch one of them so that a socket will fit.

Other projects and day jobs mean that we won't take the next step, re-installing in the car, until next week.

Note for other T5 conversion owners: When you mate your trans to a diff, it's a good idea to do it vertically, with the diff on the bottom. We have found that some of the transmission mounting plates have a hole or two not quite in the right place, and it's easier to sort that out if gravity is pulling in the same direction as the long axis of the bolts.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 10, 2017 06:49PM

Making progress in Quick time now! Congrats!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 18, 2017 11:01PM

Another mini-update: The drivetrain is back in the car. Took quite a bit of finessing to ease it into place, given the extra length from the T5 and the extra width from the Weber IDA-3C carbs. (Only installed the left one because that's the one that is very hard to get to all of the fasteners after the engine is installed.) Ending up removing the fuel rail and the rear motor mount to provide enough clearance.

Lots of work yet to get the engine operational and much work on the interior of the car.

Attachments:
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 19, 2017 06:01AM

Nice progress! Your comments about fitting the extra long powertrain reminded me of my putting the aluminum V8 in my '66. Nudge,tip,wiggle, wiggle thumbs up

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:47AM

Looks good Kent. Looking forward to tunnel cover fabrication.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: April 20, 2017 10:58PM

Oh, and, I meant to mention that this setup required 2.5 pints of Synchromesh fluid for the transmission and 3.5 pints of 80/90 GL4 gear oil for the diff.

Date: May 09, 2017 03:57PM

More progress... My friend Dean fabricated a cover and fitted it today. It's back out of the car now to be tack welded. We're thinking about using panel adhesive for the final installation.

Date: May 09, 2017 05:28PM

Having trouble with images. Trying again...

Date: May 10, 2017 03:33AM

If you think it might ever have to come back out, probably avoid the sheet-metal panel adhesive. Properly bonded, You would have to destroy the metal to get it out.
I think screws with sealer on the flanges would work fine. Spray-on bed-liner to the inside of the cover, to keep noise down.

You'll be driving this soon!

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: May 10, 2017 08:18AM

Dan--you're right about the strength of the panel adhesive. That's partly why we are considering it. Cutting the hole made that area quite flimsy so we're looking at ways to re-stiffen it.

About the only time one might want to remove that cover is if the bearing in the nose cap failed. One might be able to service it without taking the powertrain out. The bearing in use should last a long time. And, one can't exactly service any components of a stock transmission in the car so it's not a net loss of convenience.

If we do go down this path, it will be after the car has been driven a significant amount. In the meantime, it will be summer, so we won't have to worry about a weather-tight seal for a few months at least!

--Kent

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
> If you think it might ever have to come back out,
> probably avoid the sheet-metal panel adhesive.
> Properly bonded, You would have to destroy the
> metal to get it out.
> I think screws with sealer on the flanges would
> work fine. Spray-on bed-liner to the inside of
> the cover, to keep noise down.
>
> You'll be driving this soon!

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 10, 2017 09:10AM

Amazing work. How many hours to you think will in this repair/fabrication? I can't imagine the amount and quality of work done. I would buy one of these cars if it ever came up for sale!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: vairsnvettes ()
Date: May 10, 2017 12:45PM

For those of us following in your footsteps, do you have a general template, measurements of the area of the floor that needs to be cut out.

Awesome work. Alot of planning and thought is apparent. Looking forward to your report on the performance of the finished product.

Mark Emmert
Memphis

Date: May 10, 2017 04:14PM

Mark, thanks for your kind words. I am quite sure that I won't be able to shut up once this is back on the road!

I believe Dean did make a template that can be shared in some form or another. The good news is making the pieces is not all that complicated for someone with metalwork experience. I don't have that but there is usually at least one person in every Corvair club who does, in my experience.

--Kent

vairsnvettes Wrote:
> For those of us following in your footsteps, do
> you have a general template, measurements of the
> area of the floor that needs to be cut out.
>
> Awesome work. Alot of planning and thought is
> apparent. Looking forward to your report on the
> performance of the finished product.
>
> Mark Emmert
> Memphis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 04:15PM by Kent Sullivan.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 10, 2017 04:37PM

Kent, I was curious as to what first gear ratio you chose for your T5.
I know the 4 cylinder Ford versions were available with a 3.97 and 4.03 1st gear.
Both definitely would help any Corvair accelerate off the line faster. I have always felt that GM gave the Corvair enough torque multiplication in 1st gear.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: May 22, 2017 06:46PM

Here is my trans sealing.

The diff splash hole and transfer hole are sealed with expoxy clay. The splash hole is easy to sandwich the clay around the lip that is there. As you can see I am not sealing the bearing (see below) because I don't want to take the diff apart.

Here is the seal and speedy sleeve install. I smoothed it out with some 400 grit to help the sleeve go on and after that I really don't think the shaft needed the sleeve, it's pretty smooth.

Kent suggested using some PVC pipe as a driver for the sleeve, but I could not find any that would work (I am guessing I needed some thicker or thinner walled stuff). I ended up using some tubing I had from fixing my headers (1.25" I think) and punching around the end to get it to grab the provided installer. It went on pretty easy.

I think the hole in my trans might be a different size then others. Mine has a 42.8 mm bore. It would not shock me to find that the holes where cut different sizes.

SKF 10632 (shaft: 27mm bore: 42.80mm width: 6.35mm)
Speedi Slever: SKF 99106

Here is why I don't think I will have any transfer issues. The tape shoes the level of the diff oil when full and on flat ground. Of note is that the bearing tapers into the diff, so should drain that direction.

Here is the level transferred to the trans. As you can see the level is well below the shaft. The seal should stop any oil that does manage to get up there. We will see, I will be checking the level to see if anything changes (I expect a bit to make its way into the bearing cutout area).

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 22, 2017 06:51PM

You are close!! The 5 speed has been in this car before? I remember you got wrecked in the first car you converted..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: May 22, 2017 07:10PM

It's back in and running.

Yes, this trans was in my car when it was t-boned years ago. The crash broke off two mounting tabs on the trans that needed to be welded back on.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Date: May 22, 2017 07:59PM

Hi Lee,

The 18 units were manufactured with one of three first gear ratios: 3.76, 3.50, and 2.95. I have a 2.95 unit, specifically due to the strong engine that is in my car. (3.1 liter, hydraulic roller valve train, Weber carbs.) Will be interesting to see how this all works together.

gnvair Wrote:
> Kent, I was curious as to what first gear ratio
> you chose for your T5.
> I know the 4 cylinder Ford versions were available
> with a 3.97 and 4.03 1st gear.
> Both definitely would help any Corvair accelerate
> off the line faster. I have always felt that GM
> gave the Corvair enough torque multiplication in
> 1st gear.

Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.