home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Corvair 5 Speed UPDATES!! smileys with beer
Posted by: vairsnvettes ()
Date: August 17, 2016 03:07PM

I would envision a center console running back to a semi split back seat, I think with the right back seat you could make it look totally factory(ish).

Mark Emmert
Memphis

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kent Sullivan ()
Date: November 16, 2016 04:47PM

After more research and much discussion with some of the Corvair T5 owners, I have decided to do the following for the upcoming installation of unit #13 in my '66 500 coupe:
    [*] Run Pennzoil Synchromesh lube in the transmission
    [*] Run Brad Penn 80/90 Classic GL-4 in the differential
    [*] Block off the lube transfer tube between the trans and diff
    [*] Plug the small triangular opening in the diff face (we're going to try JB Weld)
    [*] Install a seal around the trans output shaft using a SKF Speedi-Sleeve arrangement
    [*] Install an o-ring or two on the input shaft, to help hold back any lube that might creep along its outer surface
    [*] For now, don't worry about further sealing of the diff -- see below
Regarding further sealing of the diff, we are researching the possibility of creating a hybrid pinion shaft that adds the seal found in the stock Corvair diffs used with the PowerGlide trans.

I'll keep everyone posted. We should be installing sometime in the next month or two.

Kent Sullivan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all. I did some searching on this topic.
> Apparently some folks favor GM Synchromesh lube.
> It's offered by several brands (AC-Delco , Amsoil,
> Pennzoil, Valvoline, and perhaps others). I don't
> know how many actual manufacturers there are vs.
> rebranding. Does anyone have experience with this
> product? Summit's listing says "...the recommended
> lubricant for all Tremec brand manual
> transmissions..." (Tremec is one of the
> aftermarket T5 suppliers.)
>
> Vern McIntosh is going to use Redline D4. The
> blurb on Redline's site specifically mentions the
> T-5 (among many others).

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 16, 2016 05:42PM

Great to read an update!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 16, 2016 06:46PM

Neat to see all of the great progress on this!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: January 19, 2017 11:42PM

Hi all. Had some delays but finally got underway recently. Pulled the powertrain last week and started the body modifications today. My friend Dean Richardson has skills I don't have so it's great that he is able to help.

The first couple of photos show the area of the body that needed to either move or be removed, based on Scott Anderson's car, which is in my shop right now and already has his 5-speed installed.

Attachments:

Date: January 19, 2017 11:44PM

We decided to see how far we could hammer / stretch the metal. We weren't sure if we could go far enough to make all of the room needed and indeed we could not. So, we ended up cutting a VERY rough hole (after much hammering), along with a couple of diagonal cuts, to open enough of a space. I am pleased with this approach because it gives us lots of metal to work with for constructing the replacement cover later.

Attachments:

Date: January 19, 2017 11:53PM

The project is not going to move all that rapidly. We're going to take the sheet metal off the engine and get it powder coated and do some other maintenance, plus Dean has some other projects he's working on. I will post updates as they happen though over the next couple of months.

In the meantime, here are some pictures from John Barnes' car, which has had a running 5-speed for several years. These photos show some of the changes needed on the underside.

First one shows a relief that John made in the transmission case for the clutch linkage pivot. Tim, did you need to do something like this?

Second one shows how the emergency brake cable bracket on the driver's side is rotated to keep the cable from binding.

Third one shows splicing a section from a second emergency brake cable to make the driver's side longer, which is also needed to keep it from binding.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 20, 2017 06:04PM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: January 21, 2017 09:54AM

The cardboard cover pattern is a serious piece of artwork! wow! I didn't notice
that at first. Getting the pattern correct is a great first step to fabricating a nice metal one.... heck of a job!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: January 21, 2017 10:35AM

Yes, Dean did a great job of fabricating that template. He has a lot of experience with things like this, from years of working at Murray Motorcar (high end restoration shop) and also fine furniture making.

The template was made for Scott Anderson's car. By the time Dean got involved with Scott's car, the 5-speed had already been installed, so he is working on fabricating a full cover for it. We were using the template as a guide for how far the front of the transmission case needed to intrude into my car. You might be able to see an X marked on the side of the template. That is the actual furthest point of intrusion. We're hoping to use the metal we saved to create a close-fitting cover, out of metal. We'll see.

63turbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cardboard cover pattern is a serious piece of
> artwork! wow! I didn't notice
> that at first. Getting the pattern correct is a
> great first step to fabricating a nice metal
> one.... heck of a job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 10:35AM by Kent Sullivan.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 21, 2017 08:14PM

Great work!thumbs up

I hope you panned on replacing that speaker driver.eye popping smiley

Those strong magnets pick up all sorts of fine steel grindings from the cutting operation.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corvairjunkie ()
Date: January 22, 2017 11:23AM

Hi, I was wondering if It was ever thought about bringing out a Kit form of the T-5 for the corvair ? T-5.s can be gotten quite reasonably around where I live. The machine work is the Prohibiting cost. The cost of making the parts could easily be covered by selling the kits.
I like the idea of an over drive. I drive Hi-way miles and don't like the RPMS of 70-80 mph. Still like my 3:55 gears around town with 50 series tires. Don't care for having to change wheels and tires to get better Hi-way use.
Just a thought on how to cover the cost and sell more parts.
Thanks,
Paul Chapman
corvairjunkie@hotmail.com

Date: January 22, 2017 04:19PM

Hi Paul,

Did you have a person or people in mind when you said "was ever thought about"? I'm saying this mainly to make sure people understand that the current conversation is happening among people who own the existing conversions (18 total). We don't intend to make more, in either complete or kit form. Personally, I will just be satisfied to finally get mine installed and running after 15 years have elapsed since I originally purchased it.

There is an individual in the Corvair community who owns the rights to make them. He purchased the design docs / plans from the original manufacturer.

Date: February 09, 2017 06:01PM

Here is some info on the modifications made to the differential that is to be mated to my T-5. As described earlier, I am going to run Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in the T-5 and Brad Penn GL-4 80/90 gear oil in the diff. This means the two units need to be sealed from each other, to prevent fluid exchange.

First, the case. Two holes were brazed closed. We also drilled and tapped the factory drain plug boss, since this diff obviously won't be drained through the transmission. Thanks to John Barnes for installing the drain plug and to Larry @ Sta-Weld for the brazing. I blasted and painted the case using a rattle can of cast iron colored paint.

Second, the auto diff also needs to keep its fluid to itself so we modified manual diff parts to provide the same functionality. John observed that the front bearing adjuster (or whatever the correct name is) for the manual diff and auto diff have the same size hole in them, which is great--because we need to use the seal found in the auto diff to help keep out fluid. In the photo, the manual diff adjuster is on the left, with a loose seal on top, and an example of am auto diff adjuster is on the left with the seal installed. The last photo shows the manual adjuster after John machined an O-ring groove to provide the same functionality as found in the auto diff part.

Attachments:

Date: February 09, 2017 06:05PM

The manual diff pinion shaft is not long enough to make contact with the seal shown in the previous photos so John cut off a piece from a worn-out shaft and machined it to mate with the normal-length shaft. First photo shows the modified shaft and extension. Second photo shows the two mated after welding (along with temporary welding jig). Third photo shows the shaft after finish grinding and installation of various parts.

Note that a continuous weld was not needed because the shaft extension is not load-bearing. Larry @ Sta-Weld tacked it in four places. This also helped prevent damage to the shaft because the heat was localized and for a very short period of time.

I'll post more photos once the diff is assembled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 06:07PM by Kent Sullivan.

Attachments:

Posted by: gearhedjon ()
Date: February 10, 2017 08:15AM

I have read this thread and I have a few questions myself. Instead of mounting the shift rod through the interior or trying to modify the shift rod to work underneath, why can't the shift rod go underneath the floor and connect to a bell crank that would come up underneath the rear seat? if the chrome shifter has to be mounted lower under the floor, why not use a bench seat floor shifter to regain some of the height back?

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: February 10, 2017 08:48AM

Regarding the bell crank: The primary issue I see is that you would need two bell cranks, since when you pull the shifter back, it needs to pull the trans shaft forward. You also need a twisting motion, which I am not sure how that would work with bell cranks.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 11, 2017 06:13AM

With the current line of high quality universals out there i see no reason why the shifter couldnt be mounted in the tunnel from the back seat ? Does the pattern need to be reversed ??

Date: April 04, 2017 06:27PM

Mini-update: Picture of the diff after re-assembly. The guy I use was swamped so I had to wait nearly three weeks. No worries--this is a hobby project after all. This shot shows the hybrid adjuster in place--manual part with the auto seal installed. Also, you might note that the two plugged holes are a different color. That's because we discovered during initial reassembly that the brazing approach caused the adjuster hole to turn oval. D'oh!!! Had to prepare another case, this time using epoxy to fill the holes. Live and learn.

Attachments:
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: April 05, 2017 05:20AM

The input side of the trans must be sealed ? That will be nice being able to run a good GL5 in the Diff.

Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.