Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Corvair 5 Speed UPDATES!! smileys with beer
Posted by: j3m ()
Date: August 02, 2017 12:27PM

Kent:
Here is a possible "prototype badge/decal" to recognize the distinction of having a 5 speed Corvair.
[www.ebay.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kent Sullivan ()
Date: August 15, 2017 05:47PM

LOL! Reminds me of one of Kermit's lines in the Muppet Movie: I coulda been gone with the Schwinn!

Date: August 15, 2017 05:53PM

More progress this week. The linkage cover / tunnel is fastened to the floor now. Cut a slot in it so that the '62 Impala SS "jockey box" will sit nicely. Dean mounted the new rear seats using hinges he fabricated.

Thinking about something like this to add cup holders for the rear seat passengers. Not sure yet. Dean connected me a fellow who will do the seat upholstery (to maych what's in the car already) and carpet work. He's in demand so he's not available until October. Worth the wait, from what I am told.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 05:54PM by Kent Sullivan.

Attachments:

Date: August 30, 2017 09:55AM

Yesterday Dean focused on two things, the first of which was relocating electronics that used to be under the back seat, to inside the shift linkage tunnel. Primary item there was the SafeGuard.

The second task was trimming out the gearshift base. Because the linkage takeoff point on the transmission is not dead center of the car, the shifter base is to the driver's side of the center of the linkage tunnel a bit, even after we scooted it over to the center of the car, using a plate that Dean made (see earlier photo). We didn't want the shifter base to be on the passenger side of the centerline of the car, and we also didn't want the linkage tunnel to be diagonal with respect to the centerline, so this is what Dean came up with. I think it looks just fine.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 30, 2017 09:58AM

Close to a test drive!!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: August 30, 2017 10:12AM

Looking good....cant wait to see real world road tests.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: October 23, 2017 08:02PM

I am very pleased to report that my car, with the 5-speed operational, went out for its first test drive today and it went very well! All gears were present and accounted for and no parts spontaneously ejected onto the pavement, before, during, or after. ;-)

The shift action was very smooth and required little effort, so I think it was a good decision to isolate the trans and diff and run Synchromesh fluid in the trans (essentially Dexron II), as recommended back in the day by Chevy and Ford.

Here are a couple of photos of one mod we made--an extension to the clutch lever so that the clutch rod does not have to be redirected (bent) to the passenger side. As the photos hopefully show, the extension is bolted to the stock lever.

Attachments:

Date: October 23, 2017 08:16PM

Another modification was to relieve some material, from the T5 mechanism that bolts to the bottom of the stock shift lever, to permit it to have full travel side-to-side, which translates to full range of rotation at the transmission. See the areas highlighted in Sharpie. (The photo was taken after the material was removed.)

Not shown in this photo is a related mod, which was to drill a hole in the front of the shifter base riser, allowing the front of the shift linkage rod (pointing up in the photo) to protrude through the riser, so that full travel fore and aft is possible.

The first mod ensured that all three "columns" of gears (1-2, 3-4, 5-R) could be reached while the second allowed the top "row" of gears (1-3-5) to be at the desired angle forward of the lateral center line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 08:17PM by Kent Sullivan.

Attachments:
Date: October 23, 2017 09:08PM

Details make for a nice driving car!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 23, 2017 09:53PM

Oh, and, for the other 15 or so people who are working (or will be working) on their installs, I found a near-stock-looking shift knob with the correct pattern and correct hole diameter:

[www.speeddawg.com]

Speed Dawg has a large variety of knobs and all of them appear to be available in the not-so-common size Corvairs need (5/16" - 18).

--Kent

Date: November 16, 2017 02:01PM

Here's a photo comparing the size of the old and new knobs. I like the slightly-larger size a lot.

Kent Sullivan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and, for the other 15 or so people who are
> working (or will be working) on their installs, I
> found a near-stock-looking shift knob with the
> correct pattern and correct hole diameter:
>
> [www.speeddawg.com]
> graved-shift-pattern/
>
> Speed Dawg has a large variety of knobs and all of
> them appear to be available in the not-so-common
> size Corvairs need (5/16" - 18).
>
> --Kent

Attachments:
Date: November 16, 2017 02:36PM

Here's some info on the T5 backup light switch, adapted for the Corvair installation, showing NAPA part numbers. My T5 had a switch in it but it turned out to be shorted. Hard to believe, but the pigtail was actually more expensive than the switch.

The left side of the cradle is very close to the switch and pigtail so we had to start by cutting the hood off the switch.

Attachments:

Date: November 16, 2017 02:38PM

We also had to relieve a bit of one of the "ears" of the cradle. We also had to cut the pigtail down, so we used large heat-shrink tubing to make it water-tight again after the mods were done.

Attachments:

Posted by: vairsnvettes ()
Date: June 30, 2018 10:49PM

It has been a while. Any new developments?

Mark
Memphis

Date: June 30, 2018 11:00PM

PM kent Sullivan... he's the only one who know how it's going...

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: July 22, 2018 06:53PM

I have been hearing what I thought was a throwout bearing for a while now. I check the TO bearing a few times and it seemed good. It only made noise in neutral, clutch out, which would have to be a miss adjusted clutch. Well, it got pretty loud a few months ago and I finally figured out it (with help of a stethoscope) was coming from the front cover of the transmission. It was loud enough to hear outside the car and the car has headers and small mufflers. It sounded a lot like a bad fan bearing when it was at its worst.

With some consulting with the T5 Corvair experts (not a lot of those around BTW) I decided to pull the front cover of the trans, which is thankfully rather accessible from inside the car. Depending on the hole you cut (primarily how much of the floor is cut out) you can slide it out over the main shaft.

I should note at this point that this trans has been through a lot. Not a huge amount of mileage, but it has had the main shaft break, the input shaft machine it's way through the front cover, as well as run on gear oil, light synthetic gear oil, and Synchromesh. This issue is not related to the most recent main shaft swap and improvements done, it was making noise well before that. If I realized where the noise was coming from, I could have had it taken care of then.

So, front cover off, and this is what I find:

As you can see, the taper bearing is clearly worn, and was pretty loose. The roller at a bit a wear and slightly loose, but not terribly bad. The roller race (which is fit over a spacer that fits on the main shaft) is not a tight fit, and in the photo it is sitting a bit rear of where is should be (likely moved). The front of the race should be a bit closer to the grove you see. Not a huge deal, but not ideal.

In the second photo you can also see the sealer used for the cover. It's anaerobic gasket maker material (I used the Permatex version) and creates about a .005 film. Flexable when dry and very easy to remove. It's supposed to be used with an activator, but it seems to harden eventually on it's own just fine.

Getting the race and bearing off was a bit of a challenge. I got some cheap 3 prong puller from Harbor Frieght and ground the heck out of the smallest one to get it to grab into the gap between the race an bearing. The race and spacer came of very easy (too easy). I tried pulling the roller off by the cage, but it ripped the cage off (the hole in to the trans was of course well sealed with rags).

Here you can see the spacer more clearly:

Here it is with only the race:

As you can see, the race is up against the gear, and the front of the race has a pretty shallow lip. Note the welding on the mainshaft to keep the input shaft from doing another tunneling job through the front cover. The solution was the use a dremel to cut deeper pockets into the race to give the puller something to hold onto:

You have to be careful not to dig to deep or you will go into the shaft, which I did a bit. Not a big issue though, there is still plenty of surface for the race to grab onto.

The race and roller in the front cover can be tapped out pretty easily. Assembly was pretty easy. After heating it up, the taper slid on easily and tightened up nicely. The race was a bit more of a challenge since it was a rather loose fit. Sleeve retainer can work, and was used to assemble it, but clearly was not enough.

I use the sleeve retainer, but also knurled up the inside of the race spacer and the main shaft a bit with a chisel to get it to grab. After heating up, it went on, and is on there nice and solid with help of the knurling. I did want to set screw or roll pin the race/spacer to the main shaft, but, as you might know, drilling through a hardened race is NOT easy, so I went with the alternate.

One of my concerns was how much preload / slack should there be on the taper bearing. From what I could tell, it has no need for any preload, but does not need any slack either. The only way to set the clearance is with either spacing out the race (to make it tighter) or putting a thicker gasket on the cover (or grind down the race). Mine had a .010 spacer under the race.

I measured the slack by using the old taper race and cutting an nice slot in it so it could easily be installed and removed. Using the old race and various sizes of gasket material I found the end play came out to about 0 with no gasket and no spacer under the race. With the gasket maker creating about .005 I figured that was good so I did not use the spacer.

After reassembly, with the pop off cover off (with just pushes on after the full cover is on), using a dial indicator and some vice grips clamped to the main shaft, I could pull .005 in one direction. If I pushed, then pulled I could get a total of around .010. I am kind of shooting in the dark here, but that seemed reasonable to me (some movement, but clearly not enough to make noise moving back and forth).

I should note that I originally only replace the taper (the hard one), which greatly reduced the noise, but I was still getting a much quieter loose bearing sound, so I decided to replace the roller and race just in case. Trans is MUCH quieter then previously. I can still here a very slight bearing noise in neutral, but I suspect that is normal with the trans behind a thick piece of fiberglass in my installation.

I would love to hear if anyone else can hear their trans with their installation. I am not worried, just curious.

As to what caused it? Not sure, but as mentioned, the trans has been through a lot and that taper bearing is almost certainly the one the trans was built with. I am a bit suspicious the bearings might be a bit critical when it comes to oiling since I did note, even when it was noisy, it would quite down a lot, once the car ran a bit the oil got distributed around.

Much thanks to a certain (who wished to rename unnamed) generous person who shipped me a couple of the roller bearing he had laying around. Both bearing should be easy enough to find through bearing vendors though.

Here are the specifics on the bearings and races:

Taper Bearing: LM48548-N
Taper Bearing Race: LM48510-N
Roller Bearing: HJ324116
Roller Bearing Race: IR273216
Cover Sealant: Anaerobic Gasket Maker (Permatex)

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Date: July 22, 2018 07:19PM

Thanks for the report!

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: July 22, 2018 08:05PM

I have also downloaded this thread and put it into a Word and PDF doc, slightly edited and placed it in a Google Drive folder. I think it is a valuable resource, and since we lost most of the picture when Photobucket got stupid, it's a good backup.

There are also a number of other Corvair related reference docs in there that many will find useful:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-1Eyv6sc5dOvYiCmgJIEbj3dVw3ar8Wv

Please do download it and save it somewhere for reference.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.