home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Corvair 5 Speed UPDATES!! smileys with beer
Posted by: j3m ()
Date: August 02, 2017 12:27PM

Kent:
Here is a possible "prototype badge/decal" to recognize the distinction of having a 5 speed Corvair.
[www.ebay.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kent Sullivan ()
Date: August 15, 2017 05:47PM

LOL! Reminds me of one of Kermit's lines in the Muppet Movie: I coulda been gone with the Schwinn!

Date: August 15, 2017 05:53PM

More progress this week. The linkage cover / tunnel is fastened to the floor now. Cut a slot in it so that the '62 Impala SS "jockey box" will sit nicely. Dean mounted the new rear seats using hinges he fabricated.

Thinking about something like this to add cup holders for the rear seat passengers. Not sure yet. Dean connected me a fellow who will do the seat upholstery (to maych what's in the car already) and carpet work. He's in demand so he's not available until October. Worth the wait, from what I am told.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 05:54PM by Kent Sullivan.

Attachments:

Date: August 30, 2017 09:55AM

Yesterday Dean focused on two things, the first of which was relocating electronics that used to be under the back seat, to inside the shift linkage tunnel. Primary item there was the SafeGuard.

The second task was trimming out the gearshift base. Because the linkage takeoff point on the transmission is not dead center of the car, the shifter base is to the driver's side of the center of the linkage tunnel a bit, even after we scooted it over to the center of the car, using a plate that Dean made (see earlier photo). We didn't want the shifter base to be on the passenger side of the centerline of the car, and we also didn't want the linkage tunnel to be diagonal with respect to the centerline, so this is what Dean came up with. I think it looks just fine.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 30, 2017 09:58AM

Close to a test drive!!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: August 30, 2017 10:12AM

Looking good....cant wait to see real world road tests.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: October 23, 2017 08:02PM

I am very pleased to report that my car, with the 5-speed operational, went out for its first test drive today and it went very well! All gears were present and accounted for and no parts spontaneously ejected onto the pavement, before, during, or after. ;-)

The shift action was very smooth and required little effort, so I think it was a good decision to isolate the trans and diff and run Synchromesh fluid in the trans (essentially Dexron II), as recommended back in the day by Chevy and Ford.

Here are a couple of photos of one mod we made--an extension to the clutch lever so that the clutch rod does not have to be redirected (bent) to the passenger side. As the photos hopefully show, the extension is bolted to the stock lever.

Attachments:

Date: October 23, 2017 08:16PM

Another modification was to relieve some material, from the T5 mechanism that bolts to the bottom of the stock shift lever, to permit it to have full travel side-to-side, which translates to full range of rotation at the transmission. See the areas highlighted in Sharpie. (The photo was taken after the material was removed.)

Not shown in this photo is a related mod, which was to drill a hole in the front of the shifter base riser, allowing the front of the shift linkage rod (pointing up in the photo) to protrude through the riser, so that full travel fore and aft is possible.

The first mod ensured that all three "columns" of gears (1-2, 3-4, 5-R) could be reached while the second allowed the top "row" of gears (1-3-5) to be at the desired angle forward of the lateral center line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 08:17PM by Kent Sullivan.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 23, 2017 09:08PM

Details make for a nice driving car!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 23, 2017 09:53PM

Oh, and, for the other 15 or so people who are working (or will be working) on their installs, I found a near-stock-looking shift knob with the correct pattern and correct hole diameter:

[www.speeddawg.com]

Speed Dawg has a large variety of knobs and all of them appear to be available in the not-so-common size Corvairs need (5/16" - 18).

--Kent

Date: November 16, 2017 02:01PM

Here's a photo comparing the size of the old and new knobs. I like the slightly-larger size a lot.

Kent Sullivan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and, for the other 15 or so people who are
> working (or will be working) on their installs, I
> found a near-stock-looking shift knob with the
> correct pattern and correct hole diameter:
>
> [www.speeddawg.com]
> graved-shift-pattern/
>
> Speed Dawg has a large variety of knobs and all of
> them appear to be available in the not-so-common
> size Corvairs need (5/16" - 18).
>
> --Kent

Attachments:
Date: November 16, 2017 02:36PM

Here's some info on the T5 backup light switch, adapted for the Corvair installation, showing NAPA part numbers. My T5 had a switch in it but it turned out to be shorted. Hard to believe, but the pigtail was actually more expensive than the switch.

The left side of the cradle is very close to the switch and pigtail so we had to start by cutting the hood off the switch.

Attachments:

Date: November 16, 2017 02:38PM

We also had to relieve a bit of one of the "ears" of the cradle. We also had to cut the pigtail down, so we used large heat-shrink tubing to make it water-tight again after the mods were done.

Attachments:

Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.