Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
66 corvair front spindle
Posted by: craig hall ()
Date: February 10, 2005 12:46AM

the front spindle on corvairs did gm use them on other cars or just corvairs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 66 corvair front spindle
Posted by: Paul A. DeVaughn ()
Date: February 10, 2005 03:50AM

I believe the 1965 - 1969 Corvair spindles where the same part number. I looked up other GMs of the 1960s, and was unable to find the same part number for the spindle.
Why are you looking for this information?
I was hoping to just order a 2" lowered spindle, with disc brakes, for another GM. My understanding is that later model GMs have a larger diameter ball joint. I would love to compare the Corvair spindle to other 1960s spindles to see if the offset is the only difference. This can be corrected with a different offset hub. Of course, if I change the offset of the hub, it will effect the disc brake lining up. In the end, I will probably have to fabricate upper & lower control arms.

Paul

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 10, 2005 10:20AM

On my DB I used the stock spindle but many people use the Chevy S10 PU spindle.

I think Ryan Counterman did ,as well as Michael Leveque.

Corvair spindles changed brake anchor pin bolt size somewhere along the way. My 65 had one of each on it

Are you on Yahoo Fastvair ?

"UNSAFE"

Posted by: zac ()
Date: February 10, 2005 07:25PM

I've heard of a few people using the S-10 spindle, but what exactly needs to be modified to make it work ? How's the steering/susp. geometry (bump steer, ackerman angle, tie rod location, king-pin inclination, etc) with the S-10 spindles ? Any other "issues" to deal with ?

Posted by: Radio Joe ()
Date: February 11, 2005 06:38AM

I contacted Michael Leveque a while back and only received an offer for me to buy a set already made... Not a bad price from what I remember.

Maybe someone who has done this can chime in and tell us how. Ryan?

Date: February 14, 2005 08:00AM

I already have a set of 2" dropped spindles leftover from a S-10 project that I have been hanging onto. They've been gathering dust waiting for me modify them to work on my late model. Just curious to know what exactly needs to be changed/modified ?

Re: 66 corvair /S-10 front spindle
Posted by: Matt N. ()
Date: February 14, 2005 09:15AM

I believe just the balljoints needs to be modified

Posted by: Ed ()
Date: February 14, 2005 11:46AM

The holes in the S10 spindle for the ball joints have to be shimmed. Some guys have them welded smaller and redrilled for the Corvair (smaller) size. I saw a web site where they offered tappered shims to fit between the Corvair ball joint studs and the S10 spindle holes. The price of the shims seemed excessive but I guess that is relative to the machining cost.
There is a guy on EBAY selling simple brackets to bolt S10 stuff to the stock corvair spindle. He has a website: www.scarebird.com.

Posted by: Vince Stroud ()
Date: February 14, 2005 04:06PM

Anyone have any experience with this dude's disc brake kits? (www.scarebird.com) - pricing the stuff he lists on his site from a FLAPS reveals a lower price than the disc brake kits from the vendors... plus no shipping, which is always a plus.

Date: February 14, 2005 05:43PM

I have no experience with scarebird but I think he sells the brackets on eb@y sometimes ?

I read the installation directions on the website and it seemed like a lot of cutting and grinding to fit.

I did not notice what diameter rotors he uses.

The brackets are steel.

That said----------------

For Sale: 1 front disk brake kit for late model. Same deal,buy the rotors,calipers and lug bolts/mount bolts at flaps to save money.

Uses large 11" rotors and GM metric calipers.

Includes stainless braided lines with adapters,banjo fittings/bolts and instructions.

Lightweight but strong aluminum brackets and spacers.

Should require no grinding or cutting for GM calipers. Fits most 14" or larger wheels. No messing with spindles or ball joints.

Easy afternoon bolt-on install. Switch back to drums anytime. As with any DB kit you may need to change or modify your master cylinder.

This is the exact same Dr Yenko kit as on my 65.

First to reply here can have it for 200$ plus postage from 99801.

Rare deal!

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:

Posted by: Ehren ()
Date: February 14, 2005 09:06PM

what calipers are those, because those look very similar to the ones the underground sells for the fronts but not wilwoods just steal ones? and do you know if they would work for the kit underground sells?

Date: February 14, 2005 09:24PM

The calipers are aftermarket replacements for GM metric calipers used on many GM cars in the 70s, 80s and maybe into the 90s. Camaro,Firebird,small eldorado,riveria etc.

Not full size cars as they used a larger caliper and pads.

The aluminum Wilwood caliper is quite a bit thicker than a cast iron unit.

I had some trouble with inner wheel clearance and had to grind a little.

I am not familar with the Undergrounds kit but if it uses GM metric floating calipers they should work.

Pic is of a factory GM metric rear caliper with built in park brake as used on a 79 Caddy Eldo.

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:
Posted by: Tony ()
Date: February 15, 2005 10:56AM

Where does the speedo cable attach? doesn't that go throught the spindle, and can that be adapted to newer spindles?

Date: February 15, 2005 11:31AM

I would rather modify the control arms to take S-10 ball joints (like what you do for the camaro spindles), than shim the ball joint area, but does everything else "line up"- i.e. the steering arms, tie rod ends, ability to set alignment, etc...? I have the S-10 spindles, but not a spare set of vair spindles to do mock up measuring, and I don't really want to pull the whole front apart just to see if/how much work it will take to mate them up. I was hoping someone that had already gone through the process might have some insight...don't mind all the fabrication, it's just nice to know what you're getting into before hand.

Date: February 15, 2005 11:41AM

Zac,

A serious curiosity question .

Why do you want to change your spindles ?

Is it to lower the car ?

????

"UNSAFE"

Date: February 15, 2005 12:02PM

Yeah, lower it and switch to discs all in one motion. It's already lowered 2-2.5" in front (cut HD springs), but I'd like to gain back a bit of suspension travel, plus I'm not especially thrilled with the control arm angles/geometry right now. I'd like to use the spindles I have laying around, otherwise I'm going to raise the subframe mounts up into the body. Think "channeling a unibody". Also, a 215/245.40.17 tire combo isn't the softest riding set up, so a slightly lower spring rate wold be nice.

Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: February 15, 2005 12:06PM

RadioJoe told us he contacted Michael Leveque..who makes the mods..so they bolt up...reasonable too!

Contact him!

Posted by: BillPappy ()
Date: February 15, 2005 01:50PM

What do/will you do with the speedO. cable?????
BillPappy

Posted by: Ehren ()
Date: February 15, 2005 10:53PM

yeah, thats what i was talking about. i was going to replace the eldorado caliper with a 79-83 monte c because it was the same caliper and pads minus the parking brake assembly. much lighter than the cast calipers i bet. here's what i have now, look exactly the same. mine came with the bling bling gold paint on them. if not too spendy i might just have to get me a set of the willwoods.

Attachments:
Date: February 16, 2005 06:28PM

I was planning on taking the new spindle to a machine shop and having it modded to match the speedo "hole" in the vair spindle. I wouldn't think it would be too big of an operation...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.