Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
interior restoration
Posted by: beguiled ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:17AM

My next project is to restore the interior of my 62 coupe. What is the paint code of the red paint and where can I obtain it?

Any tips and/or tricks to redoing an interior?

Pictures of before and after?

Shawn S.
Charles City, Iowa
1962 Corvair Monza (Black with Red interior)
1963 Corvair Spyder (Red with Black interior)
Member of ICE (Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts)
63 Spyder_small

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: interior restoration
Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:30AM

try this...

[www.metropartsmarket.com]

or better yet, find a painted piece of interior that hasnt been sun faded, take it to a paint supplier and have them color match it. Make sure they or you account for the sheen. You can buy flattening agent to dull the glos down the correct amount.

Heres a tip for restoring the interior.... start saving some dollars. You can plan on spending at least $1000-1500 just for the repros. This is you putting it in. It all seems cheap enough until you start to add it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 03:35AM by Andrew.

Date: June 19, 2007 03:40AM

I've added up a total of $450.00 at Clark's for everything I need, parts I don't need have already been refurbished from when I started redoing my sedan interior and swapped out. Painting and minor floor repair is what's left.

Shawn S.
Charles City, Iowa
63 Spyder_small

Posted by: BobJ ()
Date: June 19, 2007 04:11AM

Hey Shawn,

The red in the coupe should be the same as the sedan, I think.

I have the info I got from Dave Newell somewhere in the garage.

I also have an answer I got from PPG paints about the '62 interior red.

I will get the info to you as soon as I dig it up. IIRC it is the same as the exterior red for 62. I will email you.

BobJ
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 05:12PM

Yes, it's the same, but it has different level of gloss.....Clark's told me once, they must have the info!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Date: June 19, 2007 05:58PM

Shawn,

The interior red for the single tone in 1962 is, as I thought, Roman Red.

The exact paint codes for the dual tone reds are as follows. (I got these from Dave Newell when we were talking about 62 red earlier in the year.)

Dark Red -- For center portion of steering wheel including spokes outwards to the chrome dividers, steering column & turn signal housing: Dupont 95472-H, Rinshed-Mason 62V51, Ditzler (now PPG) DAL-71275.

Medium Red (everything else, including top & bottom sections of steering wheel): Dupont 2967-H, RM 1138-R and Ditzler DAL-70961

Dave added: "The interior paint was the old nitrocellulose lacquer. It had somewhat less gloss than polished acrylic lacquer, which was used on the exterior."

PPG sent me an email that the color code for the Roman Red interior (single tone) is PPG 70961. Their paint can be ordered at 858-909-2150. They guarantee their colors and send a spray out panel that is certified by their lab for correctness. I have no idea what their cost is.

Somewhere, I also have the gloss percentages for the different parts of the interior. I will post that as soon as I find it.

BobJ
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72

Date: June 19, 2007 06:09PM

This is what I recall on the interior gloss percentages. Posted by "Steve O" on 4/4/7..........

"paint codes
Posted by: Steve O (71.218.67.---)
Date: April 4, 2007 10:52AM

What sort of "code" are you looking for? Black is black. Everything but the dash was painted with a 60% gloss - the dash should be flat. Is that the info you are looking for? It's a little more complicated with something other than a black interior..."

BobJ
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72

Date: June 19, 2007 07:54PM

Wow you guys rock, thanks a ton BobJ, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Now, does anyone have progress pics of their interior resto? I see tons of finished cars but never seem to see any that show progress of their interior.

Shawn S.
Charles City, Iowa
63 Spyder_small

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 08:38PM

I like to browse the cars on ebay for some decent interior shots, but I do have some good ones, I'll try to post them for ya!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.