home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT - My next project '65 Mustang 2+2 Restomod
Posted by: ROD ()
Date: October 30, 2015 06:00AM

The Fox body motor and trans you have is a great Idea IMO , just enough tech and parts everywhere cheap. those dang cars were hard to keep up with as a teenager and still are today. Definitely a nice street burn out machine! Im a fan of the performer RPM manifolds for my older SBC stuff but the looks of the air gap manifolds make them hard to pass up. Ford Exploder disc brakes sounds cool too.... Im sure whatever you go with will be classy coming from you Craig!

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: December 03, 2015 02:01PM

Build the Mustang with a Toyota 2JZ turbo engine & 5-speed.

bnc

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 03, 2015 02:20PM

didget69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Build the Mustang with a Toyota 2JZ turbo engine &
> 5-speed.
>
> bnc

Oh yeah, that'll make a Ford guy happy... well maybe not! Did you read the reaction here when someone posted photos of a Tundra V8 in a Rampside? You would have thought it was the end of the world hot smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: December 03, 2015 05:23PM

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Posted by: vsvair63 ()
Date: December 03, 2015 07:42PM

The Australian 6 I want one - my Healey needs one. Bank account says NO.

Mike Cilenti
'63 Corvair vert
'94 Mustang 5.0 vert
'56 100-6/ 200ci Ford
KZ 1300 powered auto-xer

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: December 03, 2015 08:17PM

Yes, since the differential is offset, cut the drivers axle tube to match the passenger side and get a shorter passenger axle. You'll end up with a hub to hub width 1" narrower than the stock 8".

cnicol Wrote:
> . . .
>
> The most likely rear axle would be a 95-up
> Exploder (disc brakes). Super easy to narrow, and
> cheap. 4-link would be nice.
>
> . . .

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: December 05, 2015 10:39AM

Not a ford guy but,,,,, I always loved the fast back.

Date: December 05, 2015 10:56AM

TheRealHip Wrote:
> Not a ford guy but,,,,, I always loved the fast
> back.

Thanks - me too! The car is still at the bodyshop, the front sheet metal and doors are fitted and gapped, still working on the right rear quarter which was somehow pushed in over the wheel at least an inch. ?(?) The only evidence that the quarter wasn't right was that the sheet metal was pretty much vertical and not sloped over the wheel. Prior bodywork done incorrectly maybe?

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: OzJavelin ()
Date: December 08, 2015 06:35PM

TheRealHip Wrote:
> Not a ford guy but,,,,, I always loved the fast
> back.

Ford guy or not .. that shape is awesome!!!

I'm an AMC fanboy myself winking smiley

Date: December 08, 2015 08:38PM

Wow! That's a beautiful Javelin! 304? 360? Whatever, that's my all time favorite AMC (well there is that AMX thing, but that's really a Jav in disguisegrinning smiley)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 09, 2015 05:12AM

Having built a lot of 5.0 and 5.8 (as well as 4.6 and 5.4) powered Mustangs I would stay relatively simple on the modifications on the 5.0. One of the problems guys make are installing cams and intakes that are just too darn big.
If you are doing it fuel injected, you really do not need huge injectors........stock 19's or 24's work fine.
The Victor Jr and Victor intakes are way too big for a 5.0 (fine for a 347).
The best intakes are still the GT40, Cobra, Edelbrock and Trick Flow.....heck, I even like the Explorer intake which uses a version of the GT40/Cobra lower.
I have built several budget cars for people using the GT40P heads and intake from the mid 97-2000 Explorer/Mountaineer. Those vehicles were a plethora of good parts. Even the 65mm throttle body is an upgrade for the 86-93 Mustangs. The 96-early 97 is identical to the one used on the 93 Cobras minus the drilling of the hole for the pcv vent and a variation of the throttle lever.
One particular car I used the entire Explorer 5.0 long block and intake. I swapped the valve springs and installed an off the shelf Trick Flow Stage 1. With a T5 and 3.73's and drag radials it went a best of 12.10's@ 112.
The GT40P heads require a specific header because of the angle of the spark plugs although you can make a regular header work with some massaging and modified spark plug wires.
My last Mustang started with a low mileage Explorer engine that put a small Crower cam in and used AFR 165 heads with a GT40 and a Vortech S trim. I made a tick under 560 to the wheels with it.
Good luck with your project.

Lee J

Date: December 09, 2015 06:13AM

Thanks Lee! Timely advice as I'm currently in the market for an intake and carburetor for the 92 5.0. I'm leaning toward the Edlebrock 7121 Performer RPM and 600 CFM Edelbrock carburetor (or possibly the 750; too big I know but...) Thoughts? (Please don't try and talk me into a Holley though!)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: December 09, 2015 06:36AM

Hey, and if you plan on ditching the Duraspark and going with a more "old school" looking distributor, older Ford distributors will work, just be sure you use a compatible drive gear with your roller motor and the oil pump shaft is long enough. If nothing else the Ford FE shaft has sufficient length and can be cut to length.

Date: December 09, 2015 06:42AM

Thanks NMCarNut... Learning! This is why I wanted to do something "new" for a change. I was thinking MDS "Ready to Run" but that's as far as I got. The reminder about the distributor gear is appreciated. I've run into that one before but it has been a while... 30 years since I last built a 302!

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: December 09, 2015 07:35AM

cnicol Wrote:
> Thanks Lee! Timely advice as I'm currently in the
> market for an intake and carburetor for the 92
> 5.0. I'm leaning toward the Edlebrock 7121
> Performer RPM and 600 CFM Edelbrock carburetor (or
> possibly the 750; too big I know but...) Thoughts?
> (Please don't try and talk me into a Holley
> though!)

I always had good luck with the Performer RPM series intakes.
I do like the Edelbrock/Carter AFB carbs if you want something you don't have to fuss with.
If it was more race than street then I would say Victor Jr/Holley.
Have you thought about EFI? That is probably one of the easiest EFI swaps you would ever tackle as the Ford EFI harness is self contained. The 92-93 Mustang harnesses is my personal favorite as Ford moved the fuel pump relay into the main harness rather than a sub harness mounted under the driver's seat.
Most of the EFI parts can be sourced inexpensively (Ebay) For a pump pretty much any inline high pressure pump works (I like Bosch 044). Stock EFI lines were 5/16 feed.
Again just a thought if you wanted to go down that road.

Lee J

Date: December 09, 2015 08:17AM

Lee asked: Have you thought about EFI?

Craig replies: Sure! I've done 15+ EFI conversions and for sure the OBD1 Ford is the easiest. However, even though this car will be a "Resto-Mod", I'm going for a nostalgia-thing, plus I'm very comfortable tuning carburetors with my WBo2.

So...Carbonator it will be! smoking smiley

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: OzJavelin ()
Date: December 09, 2015 06:51PM

cnicol Wrote:
> Wow! That's a beautiful Javelin! 304? 360?
> Whatever, that's my all time favorite AMC (well
> there is that AMX thing, but that's really a Jav
> in disguisegrinning smiley)

O/T 1969 model .. Aussie assembled CKD in RHD one of 50 built.
343 4-bbl, M11 floorshift auto, 140mph speedo, 8000rpm tach, front discs, LSD, A/C, P/S.

Posted by: ManxManiac ()
Date: December 09, 2015 11:35PM

Craig... this will definately be a fun build & even more FUN FUN FUN after you finish & get to drive it!
In 1978, about 37 years ago, my friend Mark McCloud was given a 66 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback with only 70,000 miles on it from his grandmother! She also gave him $10,000.00 cash so he could "fix it up"! gggg
It had a 289/C4 auto/3.00 gears & ran fairly well! It took a while, but I finally got him to "come back to reality" in deciding what he wanted to do to it! He decided that it should be a Shelby GT350 replica, so we drove to a place in the Bay area that manufactured & sold body panels in steel or f/g! We actually dealt with the owner & explained what we had planned to do & he made Mark one heck of a deal on everything he needed! Originally, we were going to go with f/g 1/4 panels, fenders & such, but the guy showed us some metal parts that were considered "blems", because they had little minor "flaws"! gggg The flaired front fenders & rear 1/4 panels, spoiler, Shelby taillights, wheels about 98% of what was needed to transform it into a Shelby only cost right at $2500.00! gggg The owner told us about one of his customers that had lots of engines, transmissions & 9" rearends, so we went to see him! Mark got a 9" rearend w/ 3.50/Detroit Locker/31 spline & it had Hurst-Airheart disc brakes, a Ford Top-Loader 4 speed & a "well built" 351 Windsor for $3000.00! gggg The engine/trans only had 1 race on them at Laguna Seca! That guy sent us to another guy that made Mustang II front crossmembers real cheap & the tubular a-arms, HD spindles, Hurst-Airheart disc brakes, coil-overs, rack n' pinions etc.! We left there with everything either brand new or rebuilt & ready to go for $400.00! gggg
So we headed home to Fresno & started the dis-assembly & modifications! gggg His neighbor finished all the body work & painted it for free, but Mark paid for all materials!
I pulled the engine apart & that was when I found out it was originally built by Holman & Moody!!! The only thing FORD was the cast iron block & cylinder heads... crank, rods, pistons, roller cam/lifters oil pan & the rest were all aftermarket! WOW! The transmission & rearend had been built by a guy in Sacramento that was well known for his work! We took the trans & rearend up to him to check out & he ended up trading the Top-Loader 4 speed for a 5 speed that he built... straight across! gggg The R&P was a 4.30 & he swapped it for a 4.11! No charge! gggg
Anyway... 6 months later it was finished... painted white with the blue Shelby stripes & blue interior & Mark had the Shelby wheels totally polished... It not only looked awesome, but it was crazy quick & fast too! Never did take it to the drag strip, but he never lost a street race or a race thru the turns on a mountain road that was popular with the road-racers!!!
I ended up building or helping build another 4 Shelby Mustang Fastback "clones" & one 1965 Shelby "coupe" which turned out to be my favorite!!!
You sure can't build them now as cheap as we did back then! gggg

Have Fun, Fun, Fun... ManxManiac

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 11:40PM by ManxManiac.

Date: December 10, 2015 06:22AM

Cool story! A 5-speed was a rare thing in 1978. I remember when cars had "5-speed" badging on the back. Ooh cool! Borg-Warner's came to market in '76. Datsun '77

Those were the days (though now is pretty cool too except for the cost of buying these old muscle cars)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: December 10, 2015 08:51AM

cnicol Wrote:
> Cool story! A 5-speed was a rare thing in 1978. I
> remember when cars had "5-speed" badging on the
> back. Ooh cool! Borg-Warner's came to market in
> '76. Datsun '77
>
> Those were the days (though now is pretty cool too
> except for the cost of buying these old muscle
> cars)

GM used the Borg Warner T50 in the H body (Monza, Starfire, Sunbird, etc) starting in 76. Another odd ball were the 76-79 Cutlass models that also could be had with the T50 (only the 260 V8's).
Just funny thinking back that originally 4 was better than 3. Then 5 was better than 4. Then 6 was better than 5. Now they have 7 speed manuals in the new Corvettes!

Lee J

Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.