Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Issues with Airtex E8016S electric fuel pumps
Posted by: wheels4fun ()
Date: September 19, 2015 10:08PM

When I bought my '66 Corsa 140 2-1/2 years ago it had an Airtex E8016S electric fuel pump. In August of this year it started blowing 10 amp fuses (the correct size) so I put in a 15 amp fuse to get home. Then I replaced it with an identical pump that worked for 1 month before it quit pumping. This time it didn't blow any fuses it just suddenly quit pumping. So today I put in another Airtex E8016S (I had a spare on hand).

I realize this is only a $26 pump (on Amazon) but I think it's the same one that some of the Corvair vendors sell. Perhaps I just 'got a bad one'. But I'd happily spend more on the next pump if these are problematic. If it quits again it could be worse than yesterday's $84 tow bill (bad day if cruising down fast lane of Interstate and lose all power).

I do not have a return line to the tank so perhaps it's getting hot due to low flow when idling. I power it directly from a switched wire coming off the ignition switch, i.e. no relay.

Do others have experience with this pump - good or bad??

Kent
St. Louis
'66 Corsa Convertible, 140 hp
[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issues with Airtex E8016S electric fuel pumps
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 19, 2015 10:27PM

At that Price I'm sure they're the Chinese knockoffs....advertised as the Airtex and said to be factory authorized..

Many have purchased over the years..with no problems..

Let's see what they say..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 04:34AM

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 20, 2015 07:01AM

I am NOT trying to defend AIRTEX pumps but I have installed a lot of them through the years on customer cars as well as my own. Will they fail? Darn right they will, anything made by human hands can and will fail. Generally the life of the pump is in years, many have lasted 10+ years of constant driving. If the car sits a lot I have noticed the longevity is reduced, mostly in the same way that everything else in the fuel system is reduced because of the fuel we put in the tank these days. Also the AIRTEX pumps come with a strainer on the inlet end. If there is a bunch of sediment in the tank the fuel will not flow easily into the pump, the pump works harder which shortens the life.

Now after saying the above, I just made a reply in another thread about using the AIRTEX pump. I stated there to buy it from a parts store. My definition of a parts store is either CARQUEST or NAPA. Places like Checkers/Pep Boys/Advance are NOT parts stores, neither is buying one for 1/4 of the price from Amazon. The list price of the one I buy is $95.00, buying one a a fourth of that price online certainly should alert folks that the quality is pretty crummy. I have no idea what the vendors sell since I buy the pump locally.

FWIW: I have also used the FACET style pumps and again had good luck with them and I have always bought them from the parts stores too. I also believe a portion of the longevity is the position of the pump. Electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. Asking an electric pump to suck fuel makes the pump work harder which creates heat. All electric pumps are supposed to be placed low so gravity feeds the inlet side. I know some have used pumps located inside the engine bay, so don't bother to say yours works. It may work but if you read the instructions it states low and near the tank.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 20, 2015 07:40AM

I have Facet electric pumps on my rx7 with no issues. But since Ive been machining the bottom section of the stock mechanical corvair pump flate ive had no issues out of the meachnanical pumps. Mike

Date: September 20, 2015 09:15AM

Mike I presume doing a 'face' of the castings keeps it from leaking and that is one of the three failures common to mechanical pumps. The other two are the flapper valves deteriorating due to the fuel quality as well as the diaphrams failing and allowing either fuel spurting out of the vent hole or lots worse filling the oil sump with gasoline.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: September 20, 2015 10:16AM

Steve has a valid point on the strainer, although that is secondary to the sock in the tank. The standard sock is finer mesh than the airtex strainer. I think the sock would clog before the airtex.

Airtex

In tank sock below

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Attachments:
Date: September 20, 2015 10:21AM

richard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve has a valid point on the strainer, although
> that is secondary to the sock in the tank. The
> standard sock is finer mesh than the airtex
> strainer. I think the sock would clog before the
> airtex.
>

Steve sez: I agree Richard except than I see many with NO filter sock in the tank plus some that are still attached have tears in the material. Also the 'limited warrantee' that AIRTEX offers states clearly that the strainer must be in place in order to return for credit.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: September 20, 2015 10:25AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
--
> Now after saying the above, I just made a reply in
> another thread about using the AIRTEX pump. I
> stated there to buy it from a parts store. My
> definition of a parts store is either CARQUEST or
> NAPA. Places like Checkers/Pep Boys/Advance are
> NOT parts stores,

Interesting, since Carquest and Advance are the same company. What are the differences?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible (SOLD)
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: September 20, 2015 10:42AM

Steve sez: I agree Richard except than I see many with NO filter sock in the tank plus some that are still attached have tears in the material.

My mistake for assuming people wouldn't be so stupid or careless.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 20, 2015 10:48AM

It has been reported by "BizRate" and a couple reputable news agencies that Amazon is indeed having trouble with counterfeit and "knock off" products.

The reports state there are two reported problems. One is retailers on Amazon selling counterfeits, the other is Amazon mixing up counterfeit merchandise with good merchandise from retailers that ship direct to Amazon for Amazon to sell direct!!!

As Steve G. said - buy from a reputable vendor, but beware - even some of the FLAPS have been hit by counterfeits sold to them as legit products!!!!!

I recently bought a torque wrench from Amazon and it was clear the wrench had been previously USED!!! I complained and Amazon replaced it with a good unit.

For the most part I've had good luck with Amazon and often they have products I can't find in the store.

Date: September 20, 2015 10:52AM

richard1 Wrote:
> My mistake for assuming people wouldn't be so
> stupid or careless.

Steve sez: I don't think it is either Richard, servicing the fuel tank isn't something that is on the top of the maintainance list.

I get to see the problems when either sender quits or filler neck hoses start leaking.

Then I also get to see worst case too, that is when I get a car that hasn't run in a number of years that was left with 1/4 tank of gas when parked. That tank and sender gets tossed period.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 20, 2015 11:12AM

I had a Napa mechanical pump fail a long time ago,squirting out the vent hole but some how these old AC pumps keep working? Mike

Date: September 20, 2015 11:41AM

Fuel is so dirty here that cleaning tanks is part of normal maintenance. Stations don't filter and have open vents, so while they dispatch your 20 gallons, they draw in 20 gallons of dirty air into their tanks.

This is a sample from a MB Armored car that makes the rounds to banks. They were complaining to MB about their injectors.

These images are magnified 400x. The green line is 80 um (the width of a human hair).

This is more typical of what we get out of the station

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Date: September 20, 2015 11:52AM

To the best of my understanding the pumps in the USA have a filtering system. I would wonder what the schedule for checking/cleaning/replacing those filters might be however.

The old adage about never buying fuel from a station while the tank truck is filling the tanks probably is lessened these days, the tanks are fibreglass instead of metal as they were years ago so less sediment is in the bottoms but that is only a guess on my part.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: September 20, 2015 12:02PM

larry202br Wrote:

> Interesting, since Carquest and Advance are the
> same company. What are the differences?

Steve sez: You are correct Larry, Advance Auto bought Carquest about 3 years ago. The Carquest store that was close to my shop was only a mile or less from an existing Advance Auto store. It took a while but the Carquest store was closed and everything referred to the Advance Auto store. Only one of the counterguys from the closed up store went to Advance and was released after a couple of months for not being able to service enough customers at once. These Carquest stores were corporate owned stores.

There is a group of non-corp stores here in town, those are still open and still serviced by the same warehouse as before. They still stock the Carquest part numbers, the Advance stores do not. A good and easy example is oil filters. Carquest is 85038 and it is stocked on the shelf of the store I now buy from. Advance only keeps junk Fram on their shelves and will give you a hard time if you want an 85038 brought into the store. Same with many other parts.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: September 20, 2015 12:17PM

Steve G....are these newer Airtex pumps the same as the ones you bought years ago?

We've got a topic here were a few of us bought these Chinese pumps at $11 ea. iirc, when they first came on ebay..

I haven't used one yet......

I always thought the Airtex were around $40+ ea.?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 20, 2015 12:43PM

MattNall Wrote:
> Steve G....are these newer Airtex pumps the same
> as the ones you bought years ago?
>
> We've got a topic here were a few of us bought
> these Chinese pumps at $11 ea. iirc, when they
> first came on ebay..
>
> I haven't used one yet......
>
> I always thought the Airtex were around $40+
> ea.?

Steve sez: Matt I doubt anything is the same as what we were buying years ago.

I remember when the very cheap pumps were discussed here too. I am not certain if anyone around here is using the pumps purchased online. I don't recall installing a pump furnished by a customer recently at least, most just bring the car and let me get the parts.

Yep the pump used to be $40 but has continually climbed through the years. Remember too that most parts stores have several price lines. Typically they will have a 'walk in' or 'good guy' price which is more than a shop pays but far less than list price. It is at the descretion of the counterman OR counterwoman to choose. Very few pay real list price but I used the $95 as an example on purpose. The one I bought a couple of weeks ago did show $94 plus change as list. I charged the customer around $70, don't recall what I paid for it but typically I split the difference between my cost and list.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: September 20, 2015 01:47PM

Here's the one I just purchased from Carquest for $55

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: September 20, 2015 02:40PM

carquest

ebay

Look the same..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.