Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mig welding with Flux-core wire / Tips?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:14PM

I don't have any!! ggg

The Auto-darkening helmet sure makes a difference from my previous experience!

I welded 16 gauge steel plates..butt weld and had excellent penetration.. over 4" of weld

I'm on High and a wire feed of 3 on a Chicago Electric EASY MIG 101/1 0.035" wire

I'm using a circular motion which gave me a 1/4" - 3/8" wide by 1/16" high finished weld bead..

needless to say the flux splatter is bad...gggg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mig welding with Flux-core wire / Tips?
Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:20PM

Two suggestions from a wannabe welder... I went from wildly dangerous to predictably bad following the addition of a decent self-darkening helmet. I would not recommend that anyone try to learn to weld without one.

Following that it's simple practice/ The more you do the better you'll get.

The flux spatter is bad, but for the occaisional user/learner I don't think the expense is worth upgrading to gas (basically doubles the price of your rig).

But I think that buying a name brand (readily available parts) that is upgradable to gas is worth the additional investment. I was able to find a used name brand upgradable unit for the same price as a new no-name rig.

It will take me some time before my skills exceed the machine's capabilities.

Bill

Posted by: freeulster ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:21PM

I have the same welder, still in the box since it's driving season and not floor pan welding season. Glad the ting works. Keep us posted Matt.

Kent Donnelly
Living in sunny Brigantine Beach NJ
64 Vert
Philadelphia Corvair Assoc and CORSA
"EM's are faster than LM's because we don't have all those extra lug nuts weighting us down"

Posted by: polymer ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:37PM

I've never liked flux core wire. One of the reasons to use mig it to avoid cleanup, chipping splatter etc. the mess that flux leaves. May as well just use a stick welder with small rod.
If I were going to buy a mig welder I would at least make sure it is upgradeable to gas at a later date. I know the bottle is expensive but it is just a 1 time expense and man what a difference.
They can also be leased from most welding supply's. If your going to learn you might as well learn right.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:52PM

Love my Miller 135. smiling smiley

Another tip for sheet metal, smaller wire. .023 or .024 wire. Don't have to crank the heat up so high. Takes more heat to melt the thicker wire.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: marv ()
Date: June 11, 2007 11:22PM

Don't do like I did when I changed from bottle to flux core. Did not know you had to change polarity, spatter was aweful untill I changed polarity

Posted by: Brett Wall ()
Date: June 11, 2007 11:25PM

They make .025 flux-core... for welding sheetmetal and such.

It's OK.

I run .025 with 75% AR and 25% CO2 for sheetmetal and thin exhaust tubing.

Brett Wall
Nashville TN

"Ensure that the path of least resistance is not you..."

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 12, 2007 12:13AM

Matt, I did most of mine with a Lincoln wire welder, but later got the gas attachment. For nice clean welds I like the gas,but the wire works well too. You can put duct tape on both sides of the weld, saves a lot clean up. If you are doing sheet metal, I found if you keep a pair of side cutters handy you can cut the tip to a sharp point, then do a bunch of stitch welds. You won't over heat or warp the metal. Takes a little longer, but gives nice results. If I am trying to fix some rusty crap out in the wind, the wire still works better. Can't beat the gas for sheet metal.

J.O.

Posted by: freeulster ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:09AM

A nicer machine seems nice, but after I do my floors and trunk I will probably NEVER weld again. A more expensive rig would ba a waste. I'd rather clean up splatter.

Kent Donnelly
Living in sunny Brigantine Beach NJ
64 Vert
Philadelphia Corvair Assoc and CORSA
"EM's are faster than LM's because we don't have all those extra lug nuts weighting us down"

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:21AM

I find myself using mine every once in a while. For example, the kids old Tonka trucks. The dump broke loose on one, weld it up! My trailer got a crack in it, took it out the other day and welded it! Saved me from thowing the Tonka truck out and saved me from having to find someone to weld my trailer. Along with everything else I have used it on. I do understand, some people NEVER use a welder again after a project.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: polymer ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:30AM

Use your imagination..Remember the rotisseries?
I'm building a portable shop fan right now.
Always something to build.

Date: June 12, 2007 02:42AM

Thanks for all the insight!

I will try a roll of 0.025" wire ....

I'm just gearing up for retirement.....or at least modifying the engine cart I bought afew weeks ago...

Remember..the welder cost me $20 and the new helmet $39 [ hf parkinglot sale ]

Oh..and I had a better unit...with bottle.....but never a self darkening helmet!

Oh and my son talked me into selling the little rig.....so WE could buy a BIG Miller....

I'm sure it's working great in San Diego!!! ggg

Posted by: GJ1963 ()
Date: June 12, 2007 03:28AM

Look for Richard Finch's book, great source of info!

.025 and I won't weld without the bottle. Getting ready to do some welding on the new '66. Maybe I have never gotten a hang of flux core, but to me it is not worth the time...

----El Jefe

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 12, 2007 03:32AM

I had one of those HF auto helmets. I had it for about 6 months and then finally drop-kicked it out the door. I got a Miller Elite helmet and it is in a whole different class. The question isn't, why did I spend $280 on a helmet. The question is, why did I waste $50 and 6 months with that peace of sh** HF.

I would hardily agree with buying the MIG, even if you don't buy the bottle. You can always sell the MIG, because half the buyers are looking to upgrade from a wire-only unit.

Re: HF Auto Darkening Helmet????
Date: June 12, 2007 03:54AM

What's the problems?

Re: HF Auto Darkening Helmet????
Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: June 12, 2007 05:18AM

Matt,

I have both a HF auto Darkening helmet and an old Jackson fitted with a #11 shield. While the auto darkening feature is nice, being able to see your work piece when the torch is lit is a better feature. I find the the HF auto darkening helmet is way to dark once you strike an arc even on the lowest setting all I see is the arc, with the Jackson with the #11 shield I can see the edges of the two pieces I'm trying to weld, makes for much cleaner welds and more uniform welds. IMHO I had a flux rig for a breif period of time but like you I could not get past the spatter, I've since gone with a gas rig and couldn't be happier.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Re: Self Darkening Helmets
Date: June 12, 2007 05:10PM

I'm having the exact oposite....

For the 1st time I can see.... and I'm using 11 as well...

Posted by: j_obrizok ()
Date: June 12, 2007 06:17PM

OK, so I need to get a auto-dark helmet 'cause I can't see squat with the regular one. I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, where can I get a reasonable one at a decent price? Harbor freight? e-Bay? Home depot?

What's good? Thanks - Jim

Date: June 12, 2007 06:34PM

HF they start at $49 reg. [ recommended to me by pros!]

online may be cheaper!

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 12, 2007 06:41PM

If you really want to see, get a good helmet. I can see the weld puddle so much better with the Miller helmet.
I found that the HF would flicker betwen too dark or too light. I don't know if it was as much of a problem with a MIG as I only used the HF a couple of times on a MIG. I have a Lincoln 185 TIG and the HF was always flickering. No more of that now.

In out-of-position welding, The BIG window lets you see without moving your head as much.

I've always welded oxy/acetylene without(corrective) glasses even though they fit inside the goggles I have. I've always had trouble seeing with a fixed, arc welding helmet and with the HF it was worse. I tried the corrective helmet lenses in the HF, but because they are not made for them, you have to tape them it place. Even so, I couldn't see well enough with them. With the Miller, I do not use glasses or the corrective lens and I can see just fine. The Miller can use the corrective lens, but I haven't ever taken the time to try them.

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.