home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Rusty Venture -- MoxyRamone's 1964 Monza Convertible Project
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: January 31, 2016 01:16PM

With all the bad weather, and my recent employment at the local GM Dealership Collision shop, I hadn't had a chance to work on the Corvair for a while. I spent the day replacing the engine-to-body seals and the badly leaking oil cooler seals. I got both seals from Corvair 1. I decided to use Rafee's installation tip for the engine-to-body seal. I drilled 1/8" holes and used pop rivets instead of the staples. If I hadn't run out of rivets, the engine would've been installed today. I suppose it will wait for next weekend.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 31, 2016 03:54PM

You have a job... all that matters!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 31, 2016 04:09PM

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have a job in the field that I went to school for. I am also very happy to be working for GM. I just didn't realize how much time I used to have to work on my project. I will have to squeeze in time for my Corvair when I can.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: February 07, 2016 02:22PM

Well, I sealed the deal today to have Mustard taken away. She's going to be scrapped and sold for usable parts by a man in Anderson SC. He is also going to take all of the hundreds of parts I don't need when he takes the car. He is really doing me a favor. My Corvair habit had gotten a little out of control and my landlord was getting upset by all of the stuff I was keeping in the basement and in the yard. Now I can still keep my hobby without the risk of eviction!

So it is with a bit of sadness that I say farewell to Mustard. She helped me to save Ketchup and by doing this, she lives on.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:
Date: February 13, 2016 04:38PM

Had some free time and good weather, so I decided to install my engine.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:
Date: March 12, 2016 03:30PM

I know it's been a while, but I got some work done on the Corvair today. I have been at work a lot lately and the weather has been weird, so the project car took a back seat.

Last week, I was heading for home after running some errands and as I got to downtown Saluda, I was shocked to see a half dozen or so Corvairs parked outside Green River Barbecue. I stopped to go and take a look and I was greeted by Noel Felty. We talked for a bit and I admired his beautiful Corsa.I wasn't feeling that good, so my wide and I went home. The whole time I wouldn't shut up about Corvairs. My wife finally told me to get back to work on the car! My thanks to Noel Felty and Company for giving me a little much needed motivation.

Today I swapped out wiring harnesses and Frankensteined together a dash cluster from parts of two cars. The manual to PG swap is now complete with a PG dash and shifter installed. I also replaced the accelerator pedal hinge because the old one was completely frozen in place. I replaced all 16 lug nuts with new ones that I got from a guy on ebay, 20 for around $12.00. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will replace the TV lever I broke with the one I got from Davemotohead (Thanks again, Dave). After that all that is left is connecting the accelerator linkage, reconnecting the engine wiring, installing a battery, gassing her up and turning the key. It is so close to being driven for the first time, I can hardly wait.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2016 03:39PM

Great progress!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 13, 2016 02:07PM

I installed the new TV lever today. I failed on my first attempt at PG shift cable installation. I was going to make attempt 2 when it began to rain. I hate being at the mercy of the weather. I am in the process of buying a house in Landrum, SC. It has a garage where I can work on the Corvair properly.

Just a few more things to button up and Rusty Venture will be a driver. After that, the real fun begins. It will be time for cosmetic work!

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: March 19, 2016 02:59PM

I spent the morning doing a few small things to the car. I connected the speedometer cable, attached the main fuel line near the starter, connected the differential dipstick tube, put a gallon of gas in the tank and went to get a battery to crank her up. When I got back to the car, I smelled really strong gasoline. I looked under the car to see a puddle forming. There was a crack in the main fuel line, right where it exits the tunnel! I was dead set on running the car today, so I ghetto spliced it with fuel hose. It will do for now. I refilled the tank with a little gas, installed a battery, sat on a bucket and turned the key. Zilch. Crap! I then spent half an hour checking all of the electrical connections. Everything seemed fine. Still nothing. I posted on the forum for help and checked the connections again. Found a loose wire to the coil. Turned the key and SHAZAM! She was running! I have to adjust the idle, but the old rusty car was running. Hooray! I let it run for a few minutes before climbing back on my bucket and throwing it in reverse. Zilch. We went nowhere fast. Crap! Checked the transmission fluid. You guessed it, really low. Added fluid til we got to the full mark and tried again. This time we were in motion.

For the first time in over 25 years, my Corvair moved under its own power!!!

Needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled. I drove around the yard a bit before pulling up to the house to get my wife. She sat on the floor as we cruised around the property. It was just so much better than I thought it would be. The car has great power. It also handles very well. The brakes are a little sketchy, but that can be fixed. I can't wait to get all of the lights working so I can make it legal.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has helped me to get this far. Without your knowledge and experience, I would not have made it to this point.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: March 19, 2016 03:01PM

We luv happy results!

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: March 19, 2016 05:55PM

Welcome to driving a Corvair. When you really get out and drive it you will find out why we love em so much! Hope to see you out and about soon!

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: March 19, 2016 07:31PM

Too cool man, too cool. Nothing like that feeling of first driving a long time project. I drove my wagon around a bit today sitting on the railroad tie seat it has until I get the floor done. You have a pretty cool wife to ride in it. My wife loves my cars and is quite understanding but she won't ride in my projects until they are complete!

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 19, 2016 07:49PM

MoxyRamone
Turned the key and SHAZAM! She was running!

I chuckled as I thought of Gomer Pyle... but then you're from NC, too. Is that a common expression there?

I'm really happy for you John. I can relate all too well concerning the "temporary" setbacks. Don't forget to replace that fuel line!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: March 20, 2016 05:51AM

Shazam is not a common expression in this area as far as I know. It's just one of the many silly things I punctuate statements with. My wife hates it, but I say a lot of shazam, bam, boo-yah, boom, hells yeah, etc.

The fuel line will wait til after I move next month. I am not looking forward to wrestling that long line in place, but it's a matter of safety and it has to be done.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: April 07, 2016 04:54PM

Packed up the Corvair to get ready to move to South Carolina tomorrow. I am excited to have a garage again to work on my project.

I kinda mocked up the interior and placed parts around it. I hate that I have mismatched seats. I originally thought that I would do the interior in white, so like a moron, I sold the beautiful black bucket seats that were in perfect condition. Oh well.

I am looking forward to getting some real work done on my car in the months to come. At least this move, I can drive it onto the trailer instead of pushing it!

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: April 17, 2016 05:24PM

Loaded the car onto the trailer today and moved her to my new home in South Carolina. I am very excited to have a garage to work in again.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: April 17, 2016 05:54PM

Life is good!

Posted by: leikec ()
Date: April 18, 2016 08:58AM

Keep the updates coming. I'm really enjoying this thread!

Jeff C

1962 Monza Coupe --102 screaming horses...as long as I'm going downhill grinning smiley

Date: June 01, 2016 04:02PM

YouTube

Posting a video of the car running for the first time in over 25 years. If I have done this correctly, you will have a link to a YouTube video of my project car purring like an unhealthy giant kitten.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: June 01, 2016 04:22PM

Sounds great! Nice work!

Dave

Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.