Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Corvair Overheating Questions.(Has yours ever overheated?)
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: June 28, 2018 02:13PM

My belt doesn't seem all that loose but the groove does feel pretty smooth to the touch now that you mention it. That's not something I even considered. Is there a way to roughen that up? Sanding it or something? And is that even wise?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Getting there.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: June 28, 2018 02:16PM

You want a smooth pulley groove

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: June 28, 2018 02:26PM

Okay got it.

As for removing the top shroud, everybody on this forum and the other blue forum talks about it like it's just changing the oil but in my mind that's a really big deal. If I did that myself I'm pretty sure my car would never run again. I know my limits I just can't do that. Yes I have a shop manual yes I've read it. Seriously it's a cliff I can't jump over.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 28, 2018 02:28PM

What does your head temp gauge indicate when it is that hot?

How do you know the oil is boiling??

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: June 28, 2018 02:31PM

My head temp gauge doesn't seem to be working. Whether it's the gauge only or if it's the thermostat itself, that is an issue I'm prepared to tackle and I'm currently investigating it.

I know the oil was boiling because I went around the back that first time the car died in the heat after driving it for 40 minutes and opened the hood and literally heard a boiling sound.

As I said I'm lucky that only happened to me once. And I have since tuned the engine and installed a lot of newer parts. But it still gets hot in ways that make me uncomfortable. I have no idea if that old issue is making me paranoid or if I have a real problem.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 02:34PM by playerpage.

Date: June 28, 2018 02:36PM

Someone here mentioned that they had a laser temperature gauge? Where would I get one of those?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 28, 2018 02:44PM

It's an optical/infared thermometer, handheld. Harbor Freight, Fluke, Omega.

The "laser" is the red LED that points to the object to test.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 28, 2018 02:51PM

Long before oil reaches a boiling point the engine would be so hot it would shut down. Loss of power is noticed at approx. 435 degrees head temp. You need the gauges in the instrument panel to work so you can monitor the engine.

It isn't 'thermostat' but the correct word is 'thermister'; the sender for the head temp gauge.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 28, 2018 04:23PM

Layton Curtis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you take the top shroud off, make sure both
> cylinder tins are in place. If not and if one or
> both are missing you will get overheating. Most
> of us have forgotten to put them back on at some
> point in time.
==============================================

Layton!! Baffle tins are on the BOTTOM of the cylinder barrels...but DaveMoto showed us one with them on top!

And our engines [ low hp ] will not overheat when missing the Baffles..

Wife bought a '64 Monza vert 110 /pg.... rebuilt engine... no baffles.... driven several times per year from Sacramento, over Donner Pass to Reno... then Vegas, then San Diego, then back to Sac.... Puked oil! But is still running fine today.... yes I installed baffles when doing the O-rings..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 28, 2018 04:47PM

peepee, The Boiling oil is PUDDLES of oil boiling... have you washed the engine yet?

And why you bought that 4-7 psi pump when we constantly say, and it's in our FAQ's
1-4psi ... Turbo's / YH's like 2.5-3 psi.... Rochesters 3-5 will normally work..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 04:50PM by MattNall.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 05:30PM

Eric may thoughts are that you need a good Corvair guy to help you. If at some point junk got pulled into the fan it just lodges on top of the cylinder and head cooling fins effectively preventing the air from cooling the engine so it will overheat easily and worse unevenly. I understand your hesitation, I'm an electrician but I've taken both mine off successfully. If you tackle it take lots of photos and mark things well, do not remove the distributor, or move it. Most other things really are not hard or too difficult and just need to be put back how they were, photos. Good luck with it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: June 28, 2018 05:32PM

You must remember this is a Turbo!

Even I keep greasing the fan bearing rather than tackle that nightmare!

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 05:35PM

If you just bought it and it's overheating I would have to see what's under there. How about a borescope, poke it in there and see if there's stuff.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: June 28, 2018 05:40PM

At least remove the oil cooler cover and inspect!! Under the ALT.

And wash that warm engine with a 5 gallon bucket of Hot water and a strong detergent TIDE! TSP

Do it someplace where the mess is not a problem ggg

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: June 28, 2018 06:40PM

I have put many hours on my Spyder in 80-90 deg heat and no problems at all with engine temp. You have an issue for sure if it truly is overheating, they do run hot. Normal as indicated on my gauge on the highway is 400 degrees at 70 miles an hour and that does not seem to matter what the outside temp is.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: 1962spyder ()
Date: June 28, 2018 08:30PM

I did not compose this but I'd thought some readers might find it interesting...

So, just if anyone asks, what happens to a vair motor when you over heat it.
When the belt comes off, you have about 4 minutes of time before it really starts to get hot. Loose a belt on an auto cross course, you will be fine as most times that course is only 2 min long.
Here is what happens.
Any items that has a press fit.
Valve seats
Valve guides
Cam gear
Distributor drive gear
Oil pump shaft
Piston pin to rod
Fan bearing
That press fit is no longer
Items that are heat treated for wear.
Cam shaft
Lifter
Fuel pump cam
Crank gear seal surfaces are now soft
Items that are now out of round
Cylinders
Pistons
The head studs, are spring steel, they no longer has the pull force to keep the heads torque down.
The piston rings have lost the spring effect to keep the compression up, as also the cylinders are no longer round.
Every bearing is no longer in spec.
Every seal and gasket if more than likely melted along with the spark plug boots, spark plugs were heated past there heat range, the threads are way too soft to hold them.
If the motor still had cast pistons in it, the steel struts cast in have started to crack the area below the oil control ring.
If it has forged pistons, usually the pistons expand soo much that it will lock a piston into a cylinder and cause the engine to throw a rod.
Most think that once it cools off that, the motor will be fine. It becomes a ticking time bomb. There are no parts to reuse on that motor after that happens. Its a throw away.
So when you hear that someone has totally overheated a vair motor, you now know what it really does. Its not pretty.

Date: June 28, 2018 09:11PM

So true!! Why we find MOST engines have not really been overheated...

Most panic when they see smoke [ oil burning off the outside of the engine ]

Never had to ever replace piston rings on a "reportedly" overheated engine..

I find the first thing that happens...and makes the engine run lousy.....

Balance tube connector hoses melt causing the engine to run terribly....bought a few of these...back on Craigslist the next day!

Date: June 28, 2018 10:09PM

This is all very good information and is making me feel much better about my situation. Maybe I am just a Nervous Nelly but I'd rather be that than somebody experiencing that list above.

This is only my second Turbo and the first one was when I was 16 and it was technically my dad's. In other words I don't remember a thing about taking care of it. So if it's supposed to run hotter than my others then great but my basis for comparison is my last car, a 110 Powerglide that ran like a top.

I really like the scope idea. I'll figure this out. I have the combined brain power of every Corvair owner in the United States at my fingertips.

Thanks all!

Oh and Matt--
I've already removed and cleaned out the oil cooler. It really needed it. That was my whole adventure with the hard-to-reach bolt, remember? Also, I heard you about the 7 PSI pump. I just ignored you. I prefer combining a higher pressure pump with a regulator. smiling smiley

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Date: June 28, 2018 10:48PM

If the cooler was really plugged... bet there's more... but get the IR gun and read your oil pan skin temp when you think its hot and let us know what temp you find.

They were on sale the other day for $9.99

ebay have it in 3 days from SoCal! $9.84

[www.ebay.com]

Date: June 29, 2018 02:56AM

Great idea! Just bought it.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.