Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM '64 Axle Spacer
Posted by: ChuckC ()
Date: May 25, 2015 04:29AM

Do both sides have a spacer? I seem to only have 1 rear axle spacer for my 64. I have the one off the passenger side, but I dont remember taking the driver side off.

Chuck

64 Monza Coupe - 110 - PG
Raleigh, NC

Molon Labe - Come and Take It

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM '64 Axle Spacer
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 25, 2015 05:01AM

Yes there is one on both sides. '64 only.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - 2020 Porsche GT4 - 1997 Spec Boxster Race Car #94 - Other daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: May 25, 2015 06:25AM

Do all 64's have the spacers, just had mine apart to grease bearings and no spacers. Clarks doesn't show them either so if needed could someone put the diamentions so I can make some

thanks

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 25, 2015 06:59AM

AFAIK all 64's had the spacer as it's purpose was to space the rear tire away from the transverse leaf spring drop link.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - 2020 Porsche GT4 - 1997 Spec Boxster Race Car #94 - Other daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: May 25, 2015 07:17AM

Thanks Nick, this car is kinda jacked up. Parts missing on almost every assembly.

Chuck

Raleigh, NC

Date: May 25, 2015 07:19AM

California Corvairs has them used. search for "axle spacer"

idiyaught Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do all 64's have the spacers, just had mine apart
> to grease bearings and no spacers. Clarks doesn't
> show them either so if needed could someone put
> the diamentions so I can make some
>
> thanks

Chuck

Raleigh, NC

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: May 25, 2015 08:31PM

Thanks, will look them up

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 25, 2015 08:57PM

I wasn't familiar with this part, until I looked it up. It goes behind the brake backing plate between the control arm and the backing plate.

Attachments:
Posted by: gerg ()
Date: June 26, 2022 11:22AM

Putting ‘64 rear suspension on a friend’s ‘62.

Are the ‘64 axles longer / different to make up for this spacing?

I have the spacers & ‘64 control arms now.

Putting ‘62 springs in for now until we get the ‘64 coil springs to go with the transverse leaf.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Posted by: 145236 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 12:05PM

The axles are the same 60-64. The difference is the bearing. Spacers are used in 63 as well as 64. Like with many other parts, things get changed, swapped, altered etc over the years.

Date: June 26, 2022 12:30PM

Thanks!

That was my understanding. The spacer was there because the later, cast bearing was thinner. Makes up the difference. That sound right?

For anyone who doesn’t know and is interested in this conversion, the backing plates are also different for 1963-64 (also verified by part number in depart accessory guide). The boss of the cast bearing will not pass through the hole in the backing plate. Early backing plate hole measures about 2.50”, the boss on the 1963-64 and bearing is 2.64”.

At least that is what I found today.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2022 12:36PM by gerg.

Date: June 26, 2022 02:28PM

So when I look at the parts and accessories guide, the 1963-64 backing plates say “w/o welded reinforcement”

I believe that is what the 1963-64 spacer is for. It’s the same thickness, and the 1960-62 welded reinforcement plate on the back side of the backing plate covers the bearing mount / axle hole.

I have the early and late bearings on the bench side by side and see no size / thickness / measurement difference - just constructed differently.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 27, 2022 04:52AM

My buddy Fran Schmit made a study of those spacers since sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not and sometimes they're only on one side.
I think his conclusion was that it has to do with manufacturing tolerances in regard to the horse collar, bushing and A-arms. I'm not going to argue the point since it's not my fish to fry. I thought he wrote an article about it for the Communique but maybe it was just in Corvair Minnesota newsletter.
I'm only offering this as something for you to consider and check. I'd like to hear what you come up with. I'd ask him about it but I just don't have the time right now.
I suppose you might check by seeing what the U-joint yoke does in relation to the differential side when the suspension goes through it's travel.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 27, 2022 07:22AM

I'll know more when the '63-4 backing plates show up. If, as the parts & accessories guide states, there is no 'welded reinforcement' plate on the back side then the spacer makes perfect sense - something needs to take up that slack.

I wonder if in the case of a "spacer on one side and not the other" there was a mix of early / late backing plates in place?

Will post more as it evolves.

Thanks!

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 27, 2022 09:34PM

In Fran Schmit's study he took the possibility of mixed up backing plates into account and still came to the conclusion that some cars came from the factory with a spacer on only one side.
Darn it, I said I wasn't going to argue his point.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 28, 2022 08:41AM

Cool Jim! Not seen as an argument at all - my thoughts are only speculation on my part winking smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: June 28, 2022 10:11PM

60-62 use thick 3/8” thick backing plate while 63-64 use 1/8” backing plate. Need spacer to make up the thickness. There are other differences, I.e. the bore diameters of the wheel bearing shields, which are also different.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: chuckvh ()
Date: June 30, 2022 10:46AM

When I installed late model rear brakes on my son's 62 vert, I had to do extensive measuring and comparing of backing plates, wheel bearings, and early model control arms. What I found was that the 62 backing plate is stamped out of a significantly thinner material than the 64 and 65-69 backing plate. If you look at the welded reinforcement on the 62 plate, you'll see that it provides a heavier mounting surface for the wheel cylinder and ties that mount directly to the wheel bearing studs on the control arm. In my opinion, the 62 backing plate needed the reinforcement to provide rigidity to the load bearing portion of the rear brake assembly, and the 64 and later backing plates did not need the reinforcement due to the heavier material used. I would guess that GM saved considerable dollars by eliminating the welded reinforcement. interesting point on this subject is that the 63 Pontiac Tempest also had the thicker backing plate with the spacer to make up the difference, however the spacer also doubled as the lower shock mount.

Chuck vonHofen
Brentwood, California

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible
64 Spyder Coupe
Too many boats
Amazingly Patient Wife

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.