Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
p/g torque converter
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:45PM

Will be doing an engine replacement sometime in the future and have a question.

My p/g suffers the leaks after it has sat awhile and it seems from the consensus that the torque converter drains as it sits and fills the pan.

I have searched and didn't really find an answer so I thought I would ask.

I have seen others say the converter needs replaced if it does this, and others say no. So if I change the converter and install a new or rebuilt unit, should it stop the converter from draining on extended periods of non use. Or is it just something that happens. Nothing is wrong with the transmission, other than this, and I don't want to have the expense of a new converter if the new one will still do this.

I have a pan gasket leaking some right now and have replaced all the other gaskets not that long ago.

Just curious if changing the converter would stop this. It would be worth it if it did

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

[

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: p/g torque converter
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:51PM

I believe that is a normal condition when the car sits for awhile. I think sealing up the shifter cable (itself) is suggested.

Date: May 13, 2015 04:58PM

Thanks Tim did that to the cable sometime ago.

I just remember a thread on the forum some time back. They where going back and forth on this.

Some said bad converter others said no. Never did find out if they had ever reached a consensus on it, or not.

Well unless someone else chimes in I will just fix my pan gasket now. Then later when I pull the running gear I will clean it up and let it go.

Thanks

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

[

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: May 13, 2015 05:06PM

Don't forget the O-Ring on the TV lever. It is a source of leaks sometimes.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 05:19PM

Changing the converter won't fix it. Seal up the cable and the TV lever. Make sure you governor o-ring is not leaking as well.

Dave

Date: May 14, 2015 05:04AM

Thanks everyone, as of now all seals had been replaced. The cable was sealed and the transmission hadn't leaked until I started driving it more. I checked the pan and the bolts had loosened some, so, even though I knew better I tried to snug them up. I also put the metal plates Clark's sell on the bolts after fixing all the bolt holes. I knew if I tightened them back up they would most likely start leaking or continue, but I tried it anyway.

I have 3 pan gaskets, the cork type, and I am going to do this again. But this time I am going to get some bolts that are a little longer. I believe the bolts are not getting a good enough bite and getting loose with each heat cool cycle. Especially since I added the metal pg plates Clark's sell.

Thanks so much. I just wasn't sure if a new converter could help with this. Can't remember the post, on the forum, where this was being discussed. And if they ever determined if a new converter would stop the draining.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

[

Date: May 14, 2015 08:10AM

Just on a thought about longer bolts for the pan. Since I installed the metal stiffeners from Clark's what size or length of bolts for the pan, should I get. I don't know off the top of my head how long those stock bolts are, so any recommendations on a lenght would be appreciated.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

[

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:21AM

It would be interesting to have a knowledgeable powerglide person tell us how the fluid does flow in and out of the converter. Does it fill up when running? I would think so,but I don't know. Why wouldn't the oil come back out and seek the lowest level at the input shaft? The oil must flow in and out of the converter or it would over heat Is that why the fluid is high when the you check the fluid when the car is not running? If so, all the leaks are from bad seals, gaskets or o-rings and maybe overfilling,of coarse there might be metal wear. Inquiring minds want to know, at least this one does.

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: May 14, 2015 05:22PM

PG pump supplies oil to the converter and excess runs back thru a hole at top/side of the differential. All the parts have clearances for lubrication so eventually the oil level raises until the converter is half full instead of full.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 15, 2015 08:12AM

Sort of the soda straw. If there is no hole in the top of the converter (finger on straw top) then fluid will not flow out. Of course eventually small air leaks allow air to get to the top of the converter and the fluid flows into the pan until equilibrium happens.

My guess is torque converter seal and matching seal surface but if these are leaking it will also leak under pressure (running). So it must just be the internal to the transmission (not torque converter) passing slight amounts of air when not running. But this is just my guess, no evidence.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 15, 2015 10:35AM

My observation has been non-use causes the eventual leak. If the car is used regularly it does not leak as much.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.