Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Road Trip Update..... We Did It!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2007 09:08AM

1 That's a mistake..but no biggie...

Warm weather...highway driving all day...straight 30 wt or 40 wt would've reduced this by 80% or better!

2 You need to take a picture of the top of the engine with everything coonected..and we'll go from there..

Most likely you are right about gummed /stuck rings....

Try adding 2 qts of any ATF and driving for a 100 miles... will do wonders!

3 The oil light comong on when only down 1-1/2 quarts is WRONG

You usually can be down 3 or 4 qts before this happens while driving on a flat / straight highway..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vaporloc ()
Date: May 21, 2007 10:42AM

Thanks for answering that about oil. I was just curious if a striaght weight 30 or 40 weight would have slowed down oil usage. Also it would have been a great time to test the claims made by STP and such companies that they slow oil consumption. I was once told that STP originally stood for Studebaker Tested Product and when Stude went belly up the name was change to scientific Tested Product. Now the man who once told me this could have been full of beans but I always remember him saying that. Told me that is why Studebaker pushed STP so hard.

Posted by: Ray W ()
Date: May 21, 2007 11:48AM

We did add something over 2 quarts when the low pressure light came on twice. It flickered when going over hills. After that second fill, we stopped frequently to find how many miles we could go till it went down a quart and a half, which was as low a level as I was comfortable with. It took about 30 miles to go down 1 1/2 qts. I'll try to take pictures tonight.

Ray W

Date: May 21, 2007 08:16PM

a few pictures as last:

[s206.photobucket.com]

Ray W

Retongue sticking out smileyO's PCV???? NOT!
Date: May 21, 2007 09:14PM

OK!!

It appears you made a balance tube.... BUT

Now you need a "Tee"....3/8" that will connect to the 3/8 tube that is "TEED" to the 1/2" tube coming out of the fan shroud.....!!!!!

This is a piece you should BUY.....unless you want to put a PCV valve in the hose from the Tee off the 1/2"

The MAIN thing is the 1/2" tube..which normally goes to the air filter will NEED to go to a CAN.."catchcan" Mounted ABOVE the engine.

A Catchcan is a container with a 1/2" tube coming IN on the bottom..where ALL the excess air/ oil from the PCV system can go to! [ that which is not sucked into /thru the PCV Valve and burnt by the engine via the Balance tube].

The Container is filled with medium / coarse STEEL WOOL.....this acts as the "catcher" of the oil in the air going in...

The top can be the containers' lid..with many small holes drilled in it.

As the excessive blowby enters..the steel wool strips the oil out of the air....it condenses and runs DOWN back to the oil pan! Sometimes blowby can be so bad as to make it necessary to shut the engine off for a few minutes every few hours...if highway traveling.

The CLEANED air escapes out the lid!

This, with THICKER oil, will allow you to enjoy the car this summer and fix the real problem over the winter.

After it's back to normal flow, then the 1/2" hose can be moved to one of the air cleaners [ on the clean air side!]

Let's hope the blowby goes away after a while....it could be as simple as someone put a new set of Chrome / Moly rings in the unbored / honed cylinders...in which case

Driving will fix this!

Date: February 18, 2021 07:54PM

Ray W. wrote: "It's been sitting for years with the engine in pieces but I intend to have it running again this summer!"

===================================================

What caused you to take it apart? We told you how to take care of your problems...you could've been driving it all these years!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 19, 2021 11:02AM

vaporloc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for answering that about oil. I was just curious if a striaght weight 30 or 40 weight would have slowed down oil usage. Also it would have been a great time to test the claims made by STP and such companies that they slow oil consumption. I was once told that STP originally stood for Studebaker Tested Product and when Stude went belly up the name was change to scientific Tested Product. Now the man who once told me this could have been full of beans but I always remember him saying that. Told me that is why Studebaker pushed STP so hard.

It's on WIKI [en.wikipedia.org])

Great story about STP - Yes Andy Granatelli was made it's CEO, but after he worked with Studebaker to promote their cars in competition. With little money Andy decided to take Studebaker cars to Bonneville for speed trials. The first issue was overheated oil which would not cool down in time for the next required run. Andy called a number of folks and one said "Your own company has an oil additive STP, did you try that?". Andy had new oil WITH STP installed and the Studebaker engine's oil stayed cool long enough to complete the Bonneville runs. Bonneville resulted in a successful Studebaker advertising campaign.

BTW - Andy also solved the supercharger issues, but not before buying the supercharger company and making the product less expensive and much more reliable. He sold that company later. His supercharger fix was elegantly simple, but brilliant.

Date: February 19, 2021 01:25PM

Matt, thanks for breaking this out as a new thread. I was going to start a new thread about this engine and where I am now at with it.

A brief timeline from when I got the car until now:
I drove the car with the engine as it was for a couple of summers using 40 weight oil. It still used a fair amount of oil but ran ok.

In 2010, I purchased +.020 cylinders, cast pistons and rings from Clarks and had work done on a set of 95hp heads including step cut 140hp exhaust tubes installed, new stainless valves, new seats and chambers cc'd to get 9:1 compression. I already did the deflashing and unshrouded the valves. The heads were done with the expectation of using them on a turbo build down the road.

The engine seemed to go back together nicely. It ran very well that summer though it didn't get a lot of miles on it. The next summer the car was to be my DD. But after a while the engine started smoking a bit on starting, and took longer to start. On inspection, the plugs were pretty carboned up and I was really bummed to see oil pooling in the bottom of the cylinders.

You must realize that I have little knowledge or experience with building engines, but I got it in my head that the rings (chrome) hadn't seated and were bad. Anyway, back when I was going about replacing the pistons and cylinders, I had noticed that the cam was in really bad shape, but wasn't prepared to do the whole bottom end at that point. Now, however, it seemed like if I was going to be getting into the engine again, I might as well take care of the cam and whatever else needed doing down there. So, apart came the engine. Turns out that all of the cylinders and pistons are scored. I don't know by looking at them what the condition of the rings are. Don't know exactly how many miles the new pistons and cylinders had on them, but around 1500 or so.

Fast forward a few years to the present. eye rolling smiley

The rebuild is now underway. The plan now is to build the engine as turbo ready but run it first with two Rochesters on it for now. I have a good 95hp case and a crank from a 66 turbo engine that was reconditioned plus a new 304 cam.

Next step is to evaluate the pistons and cylinders to see if they are toast or salvageable.

I'll close this now and get a couple of pictures of the pistons and cylinders to post in hopes of getting ya'lls valued opinions and advice on them.

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 19, 2021 01:51PM

Very interested in this thread- following for info.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Re: 2007 Road Trip Update..... We Did It!!
Date: February 19, 2021 05:34PM

Here are pics of one of the cyls and a piston. These are about what all of them look like. All cyls and pistons have 2 or 3 scores that can catch a fingernail.

A couple of questions are:

1. Would this scoring account for oil pooling in the cylinders or should I look for other causes of oil in the cylinders? I would hate to repair or replace these parts and not have fixed the oil problem.

2. Are the cylinders and pistons kaput? How much honing would it take to make the cylinders good and could the pistons be coated to compensate? There is .0015-.0020 clearance on all pistons now, by my measurement with feeler gages. The parts only have around 1,500 miles.

3. What is the cause of the scoring? Maybe I didn't clean the cylinders well enough before assembly? I scrubbed them with lacquer thinner. The whole engine was thoroughly cleaned before working on it. Maybe stuff was dislodged inside the engine when working on it.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated!

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Attachments:

Date: February 19, 2021 07:55PM

0.002 is too tight! IMO Ball hone the cylinders and use cast iron rings...most likely will be fine.

Sounds like YOU took the "high road" 1st time..

After asuccessful 1300 mile trip....I would've ball honed and ringed the original build you bought and drove..

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 19, 2021 07:58PM

Rays only post about engine work between 2007 and now. [corvaircenter.com]

Date: February 20, 2021 09:52AM

No doubt that would have been the better way to go. And that was my original intent, to keep the old engine going while building a replacement. Just couldn't resist working on it at the time. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Date: February 22, 2021 09:36AM

If I were to take these cylinders to a machine shop to have the cylinders honed, what clearance would be best? This will eventually be a turbo engine. Not building for max hp, don't plan on running over8-9 psi boost. Would rather go for a fun to drive car with a fat torque band, minimized turbo lag and an engine that will last.

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Date: February 22, 2021 11:03AM

Others will post their recommendations... I would go 0.004"

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:53PM

You said this will eventually be a Turbo engine.
I would recommend New Cylinders and Forged pistons. I believe you will be happier down the road with the Turbo.

Corventure Dave

Date: February 25, 2021 01:15PM

Thanks Dave. Any suggestion on piston clearance for a turbo engine, using cast and forged?

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.