home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: EM: New Clutch, Rear Suspension, Brakes and anything else I can do while I am at it.
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 04, 2015 07:58PM

Ok question? hard to tell from the picture,but did you take the bolt out? Heat that thing up and hit it with an air impact wrench! it will pop off!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM: New Clutch, Rear Suspension, Brakes and anything else I can do while I am at it.
Posted by: 72LML ()
Date: February 04, 2015 08:04PM

Like Dave said. Make sure the bolt's out, heat it up, and give it hell with the impact. It will come off.

Nathan
1962 Monza 900 Coupe
1972 Pontiac Luxury Lemans
1978 Porsche 924 (aka the rally beater car)
Burnsville, MN

Posted by: keitho64 ()
Date: February 04, 2015 08:41PM

The bolt and washer are out. In the picture I have the bolt back in without the washer. I had the torch on it again tonight and now letting it soak until tomorrow. It just has to be stubborn. 😃

Thanks.

Keith
64 Monza Convert 110 4-speed
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"
05 GTO 6-speed (Gotta have a V8)
Chicago Burbs; the Anti-Dragon... 11 turns in 318 miles

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: February 05, 2015 04:23AM

I have had good luck with a puller and a pneumatic air hammer. It was a multi step process of tightening then hammering tightening then hammering.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: February 05, 2015 07:43PM

I tried more heat tonight and then the impact. Well the bolts holding the puller broke off. I am going to take it to a friends tomorrow night and borrow his press. If that doesn't work I will hit it with the cut off wheel and get a new yolk.

Here is a close up of the yolk, it really doesn't look that bad. I wonder if the last person who put it on had the splines misaligned when it went on.

Yolk

On a good note the crossember is all clean and the first coat of paint has been applied!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 05, 2015 07:46PM

Better to get it off now and not while on the road..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 06, 2015 09:53AM

The splines are not misaligned, they would self correct anyway when tightened.

You have eastern rust. what type of heat are you using, pictures do not work for me here at lunch while working. Too many security IT people keeping us safe from dangerous websites.grinning smiley

I have to use an oxy-acetylene torch on many here in the east. And I also have worn out the Clark's puller bolt and had to drill and tap new holes in the plate.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 07, 2015 03:52PM

Success, after much heat it is off. Here are a few pictures and I think I should get a new yolk and possibly an axle. Do these splines look bad to you?

Splines-1

splines-2

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 03:55PM by keitho64.

Posted by: 72LML ()
Date: February 07, 2015 07:14PM

Keith,

When you slide them back together does it feel like there is a lot of slop between the yoke and axle?

Nathan
1962 Monza 900 Coupe
1972 Pontiac Luxury Lemans
1978 Porsche 924 (aka the rally beater car)
Burnsville, MN

Date: March 01, 2015 03:12PM

Time for some updates:

Thanks to Davemotohead I have a 'new to me' yoke. It fits way better than the one I pulled off.

I have the transmission all cleaned up and resealed. I found the source of the oil leak. A few years ago I installed a new reverse light switch seal but that never really fixed the leak. Well I found out there were two seals. One of them was wedged into the transmission. So now I have the one seal on the switch. I bet the reverse lights will even work now!

I am in the process of resealing the differential. I had a leak from the input shaft and that was the root cause of the slipping clutch. If you look at the picture I attached you can see there are two seals in the tube. I cannot see the split ring washer in there. I am guessing this in the main problem here. The shaft doesn't have any wear on it and I am not sure why the two seal were used. Tomorrow I will get my slide hammer and pull this out to inspect.

Other than that most of the work has been around cleaning and painting parts. I hope to have some final pictures soon of the finished parts.

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 01, 2015 04:36PM

Look closely at the 7 o'clock position on the snout. Is tht a crack and does it extend back to the seals? If so then the snout needs to be changed and that means a diff rebuild. Resealed at the minumum but I don't like putting used bearings back in a diff.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: March 01, 2015 05:26PM

Ken,

I looked all around the snout and I believe it was dirt in the picture. I cannot see any signs of a crack.

Thanks,

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 01, 2015 05:45PM

You did see the spot in the pic that I was talking about? If it was dirt your in luck then!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: March 02, 2015 07:46AM

Ken,

Here is a picture with it cleaned up. I did see the mark you were referring to at the 7:00 position but after further inspection is looks good. I could not feel any kind of crack in the housing.

Now why there were two seals and no split ring is beyond me. I will fix that now.

Thanks for the information.

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 02, 2015 08:55AM

With some careful measuring you will discover there is room for 2 seals AND the split ring in the stock housing. The outer most seal will however require some tweaking to get it to fit snug. PM me.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: March 05, 2015 07:02PM

I have the new seals installed, split ring and gaskets. I still have to put the axle seals in but it is coming along! I am waiting to install the top cover until the seals are done.

It almost looks to good to install. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Getting closer to completion!!!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 07:03PM by keitho64.

Attachments:

Date: March 24, 2015 04:35PM

It feels like Christmas.

I have a few new toys to add to my project.

I got the exhaust logs and bushings from David Kostich, one of Seth's Distributors from vair1 here on the forum, some billet pulleys and a change in color on the shrouds.

I painted the engine compartment black so decided to make the engine tin body color. I guess this is BLING for me. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:

Date: March 24, 2015 04:36PM

And the dizzy.

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:
Date: April 30, 2015 07:59PM

Making progress. New brake and fuel lines installed. Heater box reinstalled and rear suspension ready to go in. New speedometer cable installed.

This weekend the suspension, engine and transmission are ready to go!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 08:00PM by keitho64.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 30, 2015 08:12PM

You're almost there!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.