Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Secondary Carb question for the Experts!
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 14, 2014 12:00PM

Having a conversation on the other Forum about secondary carbs and Accelerator pump cups and Squirt holes, My question is: Do all secondary carbs have at least the 1 squirt hole? I have rebuilt a bunch of them and do not ever remember seeing one without the hole? I find them without the cup on 66 and later, but all have the Hole and needle valve, Does any year NOT have any holes?confused smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Re: Secondary Carb question for the Experts!
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 14, 2014 12:36PM

I can't give years but I seem to remember one of the cars I had did not have the single squirt hole, I sort of remember it was a California car. The reason it sticks in my mind is I put accelerator pumps in them and then I could hardly open the throttle and they sure wouldn't open with the linkage.

I haven't seen any like that in a long time though. I always check for the single upper hole in secondaries.

FYI, the secondaries do not use the standard accelerator pump spring, they use a shorter stiffer spring as that is the return spring for the secondary.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 04:22PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't give years but I seem to remember one of
> the cars I had did not have the single squirt
> hole, I sort of remember it was a California car.
> The reason it sticks in my mind is I put
> accelerator pumps in them and then I could hardly
> open the throttle and they sure wouldn't open with
> the linkage.

Per Bob Helt's Rochester book the late secondaries got a "fixed feed idle circuit" that was suppose to keep the fuel in the bowl "fresh". Those same carburetors had the accelerator pump circuit disabled or as Bob said "Some of the passageways for the accelerator pump were not drilled either". The undrilled pump circuit was in addition to just the removal of the accelerator pump flexible cup that was done on earlier secondaries. So installing the accelerator pump cup in this later secondary would certainly cause a hydraulic lock. Now - were the "squirt holes" part of the passageways not drilled - it's is not stated per Bob's book - as best I understand it.

Perhaps Bob Helt can add here.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 14, 2014 04:32PM

I read Bobs Book as well looking for this answer and it was not a question answered that I could find,all the secondary's I have rebuilt regardless of year had the 1 squirt hole and I installed a cup and they did shoot gas out of them,I have not seen a secondary carb without a working accelerator pump circuit.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.