Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter part number question
Posted by: kawtoy ()
Date: December 09, 2014 03:01PM

Trying to find a starter for my 61. Came up empty with all the local parts stores. Clarks wants crazy money for theirs. What have you guys had luck with? Research keeps bringing USA Industries part number 605670. Looks like it fits a ton of different brands and models but some eBay and Amazon sellers have it listed specifically for the Corvair. Do you think the starter is the same but they just change the nose depending on the application? I would hate to get sent a generic starter that won't fit. Also the 61-69 cars all used the same starters right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter part number question
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 09, 2014 03:05PM

Where are you and what is wrong with your starter? FWIW Corvair starters only fit Corvair.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 09, 2014 03:27PM

I have two starters. Both need a solenoid. One turns over but if the car doesn't actually start you have to disconnect the battery to stop it from cranking. The other just gives one "click" then nothing. A solenoid is only like $12 and a few minutes to switch it out but I would still be left with and old rusty starter. Both look like they have never been apart. I can only guess that the inside is rough and the brushes are close to being worn out. I would feel better having a rebuilt one.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 09, 2014 03:44PM

I'd suggest looking for a rebuilder in your town. The starter's parts are more or less common excepting the starter drive and aluminum front housing so any rebuilder should be able to take care of your needs.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:32AM

Mike Dawson in the Kansas Club - [www.corvair.org]

has done a number of great articles on the Corvair starter and I believe he still rebuilds starters. Mike found the new solenoids have less copper, therefor less pull, and require a different return spring among other things.

Forget about finding a Corvair starter at your national FLAPS or some homebuilt unit on ebay.

Also don't bother with the Hi-Torque starters, many are cheapy and you have to install a diode to make the coil ballast by-pass work.

Contact Mike and report back if he still does starters.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:38AM

As Craig suggested, find your local automotive electrical/alternator shop. One here where I live rebuilt a Corvair starter for $70 - including paint. They guy even recognized it as a Corvair starter as soon as I sat it on the counter.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 08:38AM by Spectre.

Date: December 19, 2014 06:50PM

I was out of town for a bit and finally had a chance today to visit my local starter/alternator repair shop. Just like Spectre said I walked in and the gentleman said "Corvair" with a excited and surprised tone. The stater was an extra one I had laying around and it was badly rusted. I had put a new solenoid on it but it wouldn't move, too much corrosion inside. I dropped it off and 3 hours later they said it was ready. They replaced the busings, cleaned the internals (bendix gear was badly rusted), lubricated everything and painted it. Total was $43, gave him $50 for doing it so fast and doing a great job. I am taking him the generator from my 41 Desoto next.

Attachments:
Re: Starter part number question - Let's talk details!!
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 07, 2018 09:43AM

Aside from rebuilding the old one, what some of us need is a resource for outright buying another--from an outside source.

I've searched and searched this forum, the other forum, and the FAQ's, but this is the only thread, via the OP by kawtoy and the part number with his question, that comes close to identifying anything technical about Corvair starters.

Even here, when he asked for another lower-cost option for buying starters, no one really answered him, they just recommended he stop looking and rebuild his own.

What about more than that? What about brands and sources? There's always eBay, but it's not a very reliable source because the inventory is always changing. Even so, if someone's not selling a specifically Corvair starter, or one would like to avoid the extravagant prices for a rebuilt that is often the case, what are some good brands for just buying and exchanging the nose cone? I found a lot on Amazon and at Summit Racing for instance that looked like they were the right one despite the nose cone, but is that the way to go?

After a couple of days of searching the internet I finally went with one on Ebay. Admittedly going with an EBay item kind of contradicts my rant, but I will provide a link to the seller as well as the same starter as the one I bought, because that will at least give people a good jumping off point. The guy that rebuilt the one I purchased (A1Truck) was a lot more reasonable than most people on eBay, by about half, and even with shipping he was still less than California Corvairs or Clarks.

1961-1969 Refurbished Starter for Corvair

Seller A1Truck on Ebay

So, what do you know about the original part numbers and manufacturers of Corvair starters? What would you go with if you were trying to replace yours with online vendors?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 07, 2018 12:42PM

Folks... just Like Kawtoy....

EVERYONE should find an extra starter and get it rebuilt and have it on hand..

My stock of good ones had gotten low... so, as I reported I repaired my "junkers", so I now have 5 spares... 1 Rebuilt other 4 tested. Set for life!!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 07, 2018 06:05PM

Having one spare should be enough for anyone, no matter how many Corvairs they own and drive. What are the odds that you are going to need a starter on all of your Corvairs on the same day or week, or for that matter, month! Short of burning out the armature, starters are almost always re-buildable. If you loose the armature, don't throw the starter or the armature away. Armatures can be rewound, but with there being so many used ones out there, at this time, just get a used starter and have it rebuilt. The day will come, when there are no good usable parts left, and the NOS will all be gone. Get your spare rebuilt now, and put it away for the future, but don't keep a hoard of them. Share them with your friends that also drive Corvairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: October 07, 2018 08:49PM

It's clear to me that the best thing I can do is rebuild my starter, and also have an extra on hand. Or replace mine but keep the old one on hand to use as a rebuilt in the future. Thanks, all.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 08, 2018 02:47AM

Junkman:

Not called hoarding when you pick up several rusted out Vairs and strip them for their good parts. Storing good parts is not hoarding.

Each owner should always be on the lookout for items that are wear and tear items and stock up a few just in case. Starters, alternators, coils, and points plates being a few items to have handy. If you are handy at rebuilding the item itself.

Now I could be considering hoarding about 40 LM engine cylinders, but there is no demand (or core value) for them, so they just might become pop art or Chinese tools here in the near future.

Also those people storing attics or garages full of NOS parts for 40 years could be called out for hoarding too. Right. But we try to think they are helping our hobby, if they don't try to gouge us on their prices.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 02:50AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 08, 2018 07:54AM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's clear to me that the best thing I can do is
> rebuild my starter, and also have an extra on
> hand. Or replace mine but keep the old one on hand
> to use as a rebuilt in the future. Thanks, all.
-------------------------------------------------

Steve sez: you are in Calif. There are vendors/repair
shops and weekend gatherings. You should have no
problem at all finding a rebuilt starter or most any
other part close to you.

Calif Corvair/davemoto/Mel Raven/how about just going
to the fan belt toss in Palm Springs at the end of
the month. Geez this is so easy.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: October 08, 2018 02:48PM

There is this: [www.ebay.com]

....And this: [www.ebay.com]

....Or this: [www.ebay.com]

This one too: [VQAAOSw3MpasSbO" rel="nofollow" >www.ebay.com]

Then there is this: [8AAAMXQlrxRbZio:sc:USPSPriority!92065!US!-1" rel="nofollow" >www.ebay.com]

How about this?: [www.ebay.com]

If that one isn't to your liking, there is this: [www.ebay.com]

Evilbay is chock full refurbished and used starters as well as spare parts galore.

Here's some info (Same part number used on all '61 through '69 Corvairs):

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:19PM

Interesting, so by 1970, GM lists just a starter, with no difference between the PG and manual starter. The difference originally was a seal on the powerglide starter, since it is open to the dirt through the big air cooling hole for the torque converter.

Of course I use them interchangeably all the time. Lack of seal seems not to be an issue when used on PG applications.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 2manyvairs ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:44PM

In July I took the starter from my 64 coupe to a local rebuilder who I have used before. He also recognized it as being off a Corvair as he has done in the past. Also found out he is working on a 1965 Monza cvt. It was $85 for the rebuild and picked it up the next day. Once installed it would not engage the ring gear on every crank and just spin. Also the new solenoid was not powering the coil lead during crank - or run and it was actually shorted to ground at the coil terminal. Took it back to get the drive and solenoid replaced. 2 weeks before it was ready. After installing it the starter still spins w/o engaging some of the time. I have new solenoids and new corvair drives as well as brushes and bushings in house but since this place did decent work in the past I went with him instead of doing it myself. From now on I think I'll have Ken Hand do the armatures and I'll take care of the rest.

Clark's sell a major rebuild kit that includes new solenoid/drive/drive lever and the small parts for $60.

Jeff

1960 700 sedan - blue, #1819
1962 Monza sedan - black w/red cloth interior daily driver
1962 Monza coupe - silver blue/blue 4spd
1963 Greenbrier - standard, "Turdbrier"
1963 Monza cvt - Ivy Green/Fawn It's NOT red !!
1964 Monza coupe - red/black, 95hp pg, 54k miles 3rd owner
1964 Spyder cvt - Blk/Red It's NOT red either !!
1965 Monza ht - retired daily driver, the storage shed
1965 Corsa 140 ht - all good except for how it looks.
1965 Corsa 180 cvt - well, a perfect body at least.
1966 Corsa 140 ht - Red/Red, Canadian w/factory headrests & oil bath,

Date: October 08, 2018 09:17PM

This is all great. Thanks everyone. As I said in the beginning I bought that $98 one and look forward to getting everything kosher. Sorry to resurrect TWO threads on this subject in my frustration.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 09:21PM by playerpage.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 09, 2018 03:30PM

I keep everything. I probably have 50 starters. Can't throw them away. Someone may need them at some point. I used one a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking the ones I have with broken noses had to have been working so maybe I'll swap the noses on them. No point in it now since I still have a couple of rebuilt ones I haven't used. I passed on a pile of about 50 a few months ago for $3 each. A crusher bought them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.