home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Shifter Bushing Installation
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 17, 2014 04:07PM

vairchet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quick question: Every late model shifter tube
> assembly that I've taken apart had a plastic or
> paper-like sleeve inside.... does anyone reuse the
> 'anti-rattle' sleeve?

I toss it. To keep the tubes from clanking when your on a rough road just coat the inside of the outer tube and the inner tube with chassis grease. No rust, no clanking.

DON'T pack the outer tube with grease since it will make the shifting action difficult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JP_REX ()
Date: November 17, 2014 04:24PM

I'm glad this post prompted so many thoughts & ideas. The shifter is much more direct and positive with the bushings in place. There seem to be a lot of ways to get there for not much $, so I guess no one has a good excuse to complain about a sloppy shifter.

Regarding the shift coupler, there might have been a ridge inside my shift rod from where the shorter coupler had rested. The ridge might have prevented the longer shift rod from sliding in the extra inch. I tried to probe around inside with a round file but couldn't confirm whether there was a ridge. Cutting off an inch of the coupler was a quick & easy way to get the job finished.

John

Posted by: JamesD ()
Date: November 17, 2014 06:32PM

I happen to be working on my shifter, also.  I pulled it out today, and there wasn't even a hint of a plastic bushing anywhere.  I obtained some brass bushings.

I found the bushings a bit tight on the shift shaft, as the I.D. of the bushing was 0.752", and the shaft was slightly elliptical, measuring 0.751" x 0.754".

Unlike the one in Dave's video, my shift rod was painted all the way, and had a paper sleeve running the length of it.  Rather than remove all the paint, my brother-in-law suggested slitting the bushing, and I couldn't think of a good reason not to, so I did.  I used a Dremel and a small cutting wheel, and it cut like butter.  It opened up a bit, but I can't imagine that will hurt anything.

I haven't installed it yet, but I'll install it tomorrow with the slit up, and fill the slit with grease.  I will bet that it lasts the rest of my life.

James Deplorable
'65 Corsa 4-speed, '65 Corsa V8                                                       Santa Clarita, CA.
“I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair.  Stay loose, my friends.”

Posted by: JamesD ()
Date: November 18, 2014 11:57PM

Well, the slit was a bad idea, more trouble than it was worth.  I would have been time ahead by sanding the whole shaft to remove the paint so I could slide the bushing down the shaft.  Live and learn.

Slide the bushing down the shaft?  Yeah, I wanted to re-install the paper sleeve, so the forward bushing had to go onto the shaft first, and then get slid into the tube and screwed down.  Because of the slit, the bushing wanted to close onto the shaft, and it was difficult to install the screws without binding the shaft.  Got 'er done, though.  I just wanted to 'fess up so that nobody thinks my previous post was a good idea.

James Deplorable
'65 Corsa 4-speed, '65 Corsa V8                                                       Santa Clarita, CA.
“I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair.  Stay loose, my friends.”

Posted by: jastranc ()
Date: November 19, 2014 11:55AM

I used two inch long bushing with NOS housing and NOS inner shaft and honed ID to slip fit on my 69 Corsa/Monza.Why two inch long one well thats what I had,works super.I did one on my 66 Corsa and that one I put bushing in middle also but honed out before installing worked great also.

Jim Stranc
69 180 turbo Corsa/Monza

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: November 20, 2014 03:42PM

I have my 1967 Monza 4-speed shifter apart now also and it has plastic sleeve instead of paper.

Wade

Posted by: JP_REX ()
Date: November 20, 2014 04:10PM

Same for my 67 coupe, plastic sleeve inside the shifter tube. The plastic had partially slid out the rear of the tube around the shift rod. I had to push it back in with a socket before putting the bushings in.

John

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 20, 2014 04:16PM

I remove the liners. The paper gets wet and swells up and the nylon slides around. Either will cause the shifter to bind up making all that work installing new bushings a waste of time. It has to come apart again.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: November 23, 2014 08:06AM

Here is another source of bronze bushings for late model shift tubes:

Vendor: Motion Industries
Manufacturer: Bunting Bearings
Part number: FF 838-03 FLANGE BEARING
Specification: 7/8" OD x 3/4" ID x 1" length

These particular bushings are flanged, which is a good feature. The base price is only $1.86 apiece, but Motion Industries charges roughly $10 for packaging and shipping. The total price for 2 such bushings amounts to roughly $15 all-in, delivered to your door.

If you are interested you can contact them online:

[www.motionindustries.com]

I secure my bushings to the shift tube with #5-40 x 3/8" black oxide alloy steel cup point socket set screws and #5-40 18-8 jam nuts. The jam nuts enable me to install the set screws just deep enough so that the tips do not interfere with the motion of the shift rod.

Like the Clark's bushing kit, you have to drill the shifter tube and bushings for the set screws to go this route. Unlike the Clark's kit, which uses self-tapping screws, you have to tap the holes to thread them for the socket set screws.

Al Lacki

Attachments:

Posted by: john_nyc ()
Date: April 14, 2015 07:08PM

The back end of my shift tube has no room for a bushing, the shaft has a nice tight fit at that end.

Anyone else use just the front end bushing?

- John
65 Corsa 180 convertible, a work in progress

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 14, 2015 08:25PM

John I presume by saying 'no room' you mean the existing bushing is still good?

If it is one of the stock/crummy little nylon bushings you might as well replace both ends with the bronze bushings in one operation.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: GenXVairNut ()
Date: April 14, 2015 08:53PM

Surprised no mention of the copper pipe inside the outer tube fix. No binding between bushings. Been working like a champ for me for a couple years now. Although I do need to put a larger diameter rod and cotter through the coupler at the back to take up that last bit of slack.
John you may want to do that as well if you haven't yet.

Good shifting fix one of the most satisfying weekend projects.

Joel E.
Cave Creek, AZ
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:14PM

OK, I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Vegas (going to my 48th NAB Convention) reading this stuff and I have to wonder "why" the modification that appeared in an "upgrade your Corvair" publication hasn't come up?? eye rolling smiley

I will look it up when I get back to Indy!!

Years ago I bought the "bushing kit" (I think from Clark's), took the "shift tube assembly" apart, cleaned it up and CUT the Outer Tube so I had a piece to hold the bushing 'in front' and another to fit 'the rear' and threw the rest of the tube away!!! drinking smiley

Pretty easy to install and it shifted fine. I drove it for several years and had no problems!! smileys with beer

I suppose Chevy had a reason for such a design but it seems not to have been necessary! smoking smiley

Dale

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: john_nyc ()
Date: April 15, 2015 06:20PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
> John I presume by saying 'no room' you mean the
> existing bushing is still good?
>
> If it is one of the stock/crummy little nylon
> bushings you might as well replace both ends with
> the bronze bushings in one operation.

i mean no room, i'm just going to polish & grease it up. there's room for the bronze bushing at the front, not here. is this usual?

- John
65 Corsa 180 convertible, a work in progress

Attachments:
Posted by: roharvey@nmsuedu ()
Date: April 15, 2015 08:23PM

well this will be my next project .... hope I don't run into anything different . thanks for all the info
bob h
las cruces nm

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: February 28, 2016 05:02PM

Man i love when google searches find exactly what I need and look where it leads me! I was talking to some guys here about ideas on tube bushings and some say stay plastic others say copper pipe but I think I like this setup the most!

davemotohead Wrote:
> I did do a vid on this also!thumbs up
>
>

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 28, 2016 06:20PM

Just did another one yesterday,on a car, I use a center punch now to dimple the surrounding steel to hold the bushing and it makes them tight,thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: February 28, 2016 06:44PM

coleslaw31 Wrote:
> "I like this setup the most!"

I also like the bronze bushing the best. Super simple, cheap, No extra work and will of wear out in my lifetime.

Steve Morton
1967 Monza, 1961 Rampside, 2 1964 Monza's, 1963 GB Custom
Nampa, Idaho

"If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong"

Date: October 09, 2016 07:52AM

Update: Rather than mess with set screws, I now simply solder the bronze bushings in with a propane torch. It's necessary to prep the tube by grinding off rust and grease, and use plenty of flux, but I find it much easier than drilling and tapping little holes in the tube. In my opinion, the wall thickness of the tube is too thin for a strong threaded hole.

Also, I've found a new source of bronze bushings.
Manufacturer: Hillman
Specification: 7/8" OD x 3/4" ID x 3/4" length

I buy them at my local ACE hardware store.

Date: October 09, 2016 08:09AM

Update: In my post above, I wrote,

Rather than just talk about it, I proceeded to make a stainless steel shift rod for myself. I ordered a .75" (OD) x .620" (ID) x 58.25" piece of stainless steel tubing from Speedy Metals (online) and took it to a local welding shop to have it welded to the fabricated mild steel socket from the original shift rod.

This worked just fine with my Ray Sedman billet shift coupler, but the ID is too small for a stock coupler. The stock coupler has a 5/8" diameter shaft, which is slightly thicker than the Sedman coupler. I found this out while rebuilding a shift tube for a Corvair buddy this week.

Unfortunately, Speedy Metals does not offer .75" (OD) x .5/8" (ID) tubing, so you will probably need to bore out the .620" (ID) tube specified above, like I did in my most recent job.

Al Lacki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 08:16AM by Allan Lacki.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.