Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: For Sale - Now Available - New Electronic Ignition Distributors $150!
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:37PM

just thought id throw this out there.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Sale - Now Available - New Electronic Ignition Distributors $150!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: November 26, 2014 07:02PM

I love My new Distributor and the nice black dist. cap with the new style ignition wires. Thank You Seth. Thanks for making it all work for a Corvair.

For anyone that's interested in Seth's new electronic dist. It is well worth the 150$. Make sure you buy Seth's ignition wires too.

68 Monza Coupe Palomino Ivory 140hp 4sp
68 Monza Coupe Grecian Green 110hp 4sp ( daily driver 31 years)
65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG
1989 Gmc Vandura full of corvair parts

Grand Forks BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 07:04PM by jasonscorvairs.

Re: For Sale - Now Available - New Electronic Ignition Distributors $150!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:02PM

Hi Shant - I went out to my shop and checked out the distributor. These are my answers, as best for now. I am still planning on a full spring and sleeve test, sometime in the next few weeks.

You wrote:
the two sets of loose ones appear to be of the same thickness and length, just different colors. the set that is installed in the distributor is much thicker and a bit longer.

1. of the three sets, is it safe to say that the large spring will have the slowest rate of mechanical advance? if so, do the other spring options only make the advance come in sooner and faster?

2. of the two smaller sets, can you tell us which one will have the faster or slower advance rate?

Seth> The heaviest springs (installed) give the slowest curve. The difference in the two other sets is the number of coils. The silverish color springs have fewer coils (5) and should be next fastest advance. The goldish springs have 7 coils and should be the fastest. I will test this theory as soon as I can.

3. in the pdf file you sent, the distributors advance curve is graphed. which set of springs does that graph correspond to?

Seth> It represents the curve as delivered.

4.after removing the nut to try to compare the installed advance limiting bushing to the others, it seems that the bushing is stuck to the flat distributor shaft end plate. there isn't much room in there, and I dont want to damage anything prying on it. Is the only way to separate it to partly disassemble the distributor?

Seth> I checked this out tonight. After removing that nut, I found it pretty tight as well. The solution is to remove the springs and weights on top. It then becomes easy to access the seat of the bushing. Two tweaks with an exacto knife where it seats, and the bushing dropped out.

Note - There are four different bushings
Bushing color Outside diameter
Bronze .278"
Silver .311"
Original Blk .341" - This is what comes installed
Black .375"

The thicker the bushing, the less advance. The installed one gives 20 degrees. I will install and verify each of the others.

- Seth

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 11:54AM

thank you for the information seth.
i look forward to seeing the results from your tests.

with your advice, i was able to finally free the bushing from the shaft.

if i was looking for an even heavier spring to delay the initial onset of mechanical advance, would you have any idea where i could look?

being a turboed PG setup, my car idles between 950-1050 RPM. if possible, im trying to avoid having the timing at idle jumping around due to a quick onsetting mechanical advance.

maybe asking a bit too much from a distributor setup but just thought id ask.

thank you.

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: November 30, 2014 10:23AM

Just got mine Saturday. Thanks Seth for the great customer service. thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
<a href=http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,570615>My 65 Monza thread</a>
<a href=https://www.youtube.com/user/cad0kid>My YouTube page</a> yawning smiley

Date: December 06, 2014 01:24PM

2015 pricing changes – Silicone Wire Systems

I want to thank everybody for the great reception on the new Corvair electronic distributor. I need to pass along some future pricing information. The $150 introductory price on the distributor will be good through the end of this year. On January 1, 2015 the price for the unit will be $180. Also on January 1, the standard price for all Silicone Wire Systems Corvair ignition wire sets will go from $37 to $40. All the other options for the distributor installation will remain the same for 2015:

Distributor options. (Prices with distributor purchase)
Choice of Black or Red pin-style cap (no cost)
Option of Black OEM style cap - $18
Optimized Connection Harness (shortened) - $8
12 Volt power coil feed wire (61-64 or 65-69) - $8
Shipping in the USA is still $18

We will still offer a $5 discount (and no shipping charges!) for any wire set, when purchased with a distributor.

All orders placed before January 1, will be filled at the "Introductory" prices ($150 for the Distributor and $32 for the HEI wire set)

I am happy to announce that Roger Parent is manufacturing two linkage items for use with the distributor. The new mount shifts the 1965 passenger side 140HP secondary bellcrank to the 1966 position, enough to clear the wires on the right side. Roger built two kits, one for use with OEM linkage and one for use with his ball-bearing 1965 140 linkage kit. I have some of these in stock. Thanks, Roger!

One other reminder. “Performance Corvairs” the newest book covering all aspects of engine and chassis mods for the Corvair makes a great Christmas gift for the Corvair enthusiasts in your life, maybe even for you! An author-signed copy is only a few days away from your mailbox. The price is $35 shipped to your door. I can be reached at sethracer@aol.com .

Orders may be sent to:

Silicone Wire Systems
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117-1542

- Seth Emerson (Happy to answer any questions)

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 16, 2014 02:53PM

Reminder bumpthumbs up

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: SUMTOY1966 ()
Date: December 16, 2014 09:54PM

Love to have one if you come up with a turbo set-up Seth.

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Re: For Sale - Billet Electronic Ignition Distributors
Date: January 09, 2019 08:30PM

For reference - These distributors are available from California Corvair Parts Inc in Chino, CA and Clarks Corvair Parts in MA. I can still answer questions.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.