Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
For Sale - Now Available - New Billet Electronic Ignition Distributors
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 09, 2014 09:46PM

New all-electronic distributor for Corvair engines – Ready to run!
Features:
Specifically designed to fit the Corvair motor
OEM style construction and appearance, replacement parts widely available
Comes complete with distributor cap and new drive gear
High Energy electronics, using a magnetic trigger, self-contained inside the distributor
Plug and play, no external box to mount, hook up three wires
Tested in road racing, autocross and street use
Unit requires 12 volts at coil terminal, resistance bypass wires are available
Clears Corvair top shroud sheet metal
Adjustable mechanical advance, both rate and limit, included
Uses aftermarket accessories for GM distributors
Three distributor cap options, stock style or red/black HEI style
Uses GM WeatherPack style connectors, with a quick-disconnect for easy removal
Must use 12 Volt coil or high-output aftermarket coils. Not OEM coil.
Vacuum advance block-off kit is included for racing applications
A variety of replacement ignition wire sets are available, special pricing if purchased with distributor
Cautions:
Early 140HP secondary throttle bell crank interferes with cap – late 140 bell crank can be substituted
Currently no pressure retard unit is available. A turbo-charged engine will require external boost control of timing. Ask about options. OEM pressure retard unit from Corvair does not fit.
Clears high-mounted Air Conditioning compressors. May not clear smog pumps (A.I.R.)
Distributor options. (Prices with distributor purchase)
Choice of Black or Red pin-style cap (no cost)
HEI style 8mm wire set to match pin style cap - $32 (Any of 8 colors)
Option of Black OEM style cap - $18
Optimized Connection Harness (shortened) - $8 exchange
12 Volt power coil feed wire (61-64 or 65-69) - $8
OEM late 140HP right-side secondary linkage offset bellcrank (used) $15

Order from:

California Corvair Parts or Clark's Corvair Parts.

forsale

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 09:09PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Sale - Now Available - New Electronic Ignition Distributors $150!
Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: November 10, 2014 07:34PM

HEI wire color choices?...
Paypal, check? Credit cards?

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

photo 045ef0c8-2087-4eac-8a5d-9aa0d575d5e0_zps9946d378.jpg
 photo e1227532-1d1b-4c27-b9b3-ab7c1e338ee9_zpsoelhfofz.jpg

Date: November 12, 2014 12:01PM

Reply to Tom's questions:

The connection harness that comes with the distributor is supplied with many of their other "Ready to Run" V8 units. It has a length that is twice as long as needed for the Corvair. It is like they though the coil would be mounted under the rear window! I cut the harness down to length and properly install new terminals onto it, making it much "tidier" for the Corvair. The Power feed wire replaces the original resistance wire. It comes with the proper terminal to plug into the left side body harness on the firewall. It comes around and feeds the coil a full 12 volts. We have doe this for years on Pertronix units. It is something that someone can do themselves, but I thought I would offer it as an option. I had to buy the firewall connector terminals from Clarks!
These are both optional because many Corvair folks like to do this themselves.

- Seth

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 12, 2014 02:17PM

Very nice product! Can you explain the adjustable mechanical advance? Not necessarily how to adjust it but the range, start rpm, etc.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 12, 2014 04:07PM

Sure, Nate. In most distributors, the mechanical advance is changed by a pair of spinning weights pulling against springs, as the shaft rotates, the weights spin outward pulling the trigger -in this case the reluctor, on our Corvair distributors, the points cam, (and the rotor tip) ahead of the driven shaft. That advances the spark. The rate of advance is dependent on the strength of the springs. Heavier duty springs keep the weights from pulling the reluctor forward until a higher rotational speed overcomes the HD springs. That means the mechanical advance won't start until a higher RPM. SO the springs affect the rate of advance. On most distributors, the amount of mechanical advance is dependent on a pin that moves in a curved slot, or elongated hole. At rest the pin is snug against one end of the slot. As the RPM goes up, and the weights pull the reluctor and rotor into advancing the timing, the pin is being pulled down the slot. When the pin hits the end of the slot, no more mechanical advance takes place. So the distance from one end of the slot to the other determines the amount of mechanical advance. In this case the slot length is constant, but the size of the pin is changed by replacing the sleeve over the pin with a thicker sleeve. The thicker sleeve prevents the pin from moving all the way up against the starting end of the slot and stops the advance at an earlier point as the sleeve stops the pin movement. The sleeve, in essence, shortens the effective length of the slot, which reduces the amount of mechanical advance. The kit that comes with the new distributor has two additional pains of advance springs. Including the ones that come already installed, you have three spring pairs to work with. In addition you can mix and match different springs to get rates in between the three pairs. Each spring set will provide a slightly different rate of advance. The distributor also comes with additional sleeves for the pin in the slot. To reduce the amount of total mechanical advance, you install one of the thicker sleeves. That changes the starting location for the pin and the ending point. The sleeve and the springs are just beneath the top-mounted rotor on this distributor. On the Corvair distributor, the point plate must be removed just to look at the mechanical advance components. This is quicker and simpler.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Date: November 12, 2014 10:34PM

Correction: (Not pains of springs!)smiling smiley

The kit that comes with the new distributor has two additional pairs of advance springs

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 13, 2014 08:08AM

Aha I see. So there are 18 different timing curves available with this setup. It would be a neat experiment for someone to try all combinations and plot the various curves.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: November 14, 2014 06:00PM

owen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Safeguard compatible?

yup. from what i have seen/heard the safeguard is compatible with any trigger system - ponts/electronic/digital/mag/etc.

oh yea - cool dizzy seth!

-Scott V.

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: November 15, 2014 04:34PM

Seth,
For the 140hp application, if the stock black cap with internal lugs is chosen will it still interfere with early bellcrank or does that only happen with dizzy caps with external lugs.

Jimc
140-4carb

Date: November 15, 2014 05:38PM

The problem happens with all caps. Worse with the pin type. But the 66-up secondary bell crank mount solves the issue - and with stock(ish) parts. You might be able to get the stock type in place with the 65 part but it is really close.

Posted by: Mlevair ()
Date: November 16, 2014 05:37PM

I would just like to say I have personally used Seths distributor in my autox car and road race car and they performed flawlessly. Its a very nice product that will end up in several of my cars.

LeVair Performance & Restoration
Michael LeVeque
Fayetteville Tennesse
765-617-9307
Mlevair@sbcglobal.net

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 20, 2014 07:28AM

I just received mine. It looks amazing! Nice job Seth.smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 21, 2014 05:27AM

Got mine a few days ago. Thanks for providing some cool Vair goodies!

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: November 21, 2014 06:11AM

Seth would this work on a 60 model, if I where to decide to get one?

As I read what has been said, I see no reason why it would not, but thought I would ask.

I wonder about tuning. You mention different springs and such. How do you determine what springs you need, or will it be ready to install when received. Sorry if these are obvious questions but I am not well versed on distributors.

Thanks

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: rodnokn6 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:28PM

Hi your new distributor looks great. Is this closer to a GM HEI or is more like a Pertronix point eliminator? Also ,if it is more like an HEI where can we purchase replacement modules? Lastly , is there a harness to trigger an MSD box? Thanx for your response.

Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:21PM

Thanks Seth! Everything looks Great!

I can't wait to get the engine finished so I can enjoy the ignition! grinning smiley

Thanks for all your efforts for the automotive/Corvair community!

Rick
YS 100

Corsas are Magical :-)

Date: November 26, 2014 01:39PM

Notes in reply.

Lee - There is no reason the distributor would not work fine in a 1960 car. The wires for the 1960 are special lengths, so with the pin-type cap, you would need a special set. But I have those available.

For rodnokn6 - It is more like an HEI. The trigger is magnetic, triggered by a reluctor. The electronics is mounted under the pick-up plate. I am working on a kit to offer a drop-in direct magnetic trigger out, as an input for an MSD-6A or several others designs. I believe it is possible to open this one up and extend the trigger wires out, but I haven't done it - - yet. I am trying to get the modules available separately as spares.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:04PM

I already want 2 more!grinning smiley Maybe after Christmas!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: HOMEBREW ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:56PM

Mr Emerson,

Will you be offering this upgrade after the first of the year? If so I will wait as I will be using it in this configuration. Do you use PayPal? Could send you a gift as no charges apply. Ask due to interest

Steve

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:25PM

i have a few questions for seth.
i feel everyone on the board may benefit from the answers. so i posted it here instead of over email.

the kit comes with three sets of springs. two sets in the bag, and one set installed in the distributor. the two sets of loose ones appear to be of the same thickness and length, just different colors. the set that is installed in the distributor is much thicker and a bit longer.

1. of the three sets, is it safe to say that the large spring will have the slowest rate of mechanical advance? if so, do the other spring options only make the advance come in sooner and faster?

2. of the two smaller sets, can you tell us which one will have the faster or slower advance rate?

3. in the pdf file you sent, the distributors advance curve is graphed. which set of springs does that graph correspond to?

4.after removing the nut to try to compare the installed advance limiting bushing to the others,it seems that the bushing is stuck to the flat distributor shaft end plate. there isnt much room in there, and i dont want to damage anything prying on it. is the only way to seperate to partly disassemble the distributor?

thank you,
Shant

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.