Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What gear lube for differantial?
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 26, 2014 12:53PM

What is the current recommendation for gear lube for a 1962 powerglide differential? Would synthetic be of any additional value in this application? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What gear lube for differantial?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 26, 2014 01:21PM

In a pg Diff...since it's separate from the trans GL-5 id fine and most common today.

Syn is just your choice..... of course it's better. But will you drive the car far enough to ever notice the difference?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 26, 2014 02:45PM

In a manual transaxle - GL-4 because the lube is shared with the syncro transmission. GL-5 is great stuff, but is caustic to the syncro metals.

With a manual, the GL-4 rated synthetic is a smoother shifting lube, IMHO.

I use Amsoil MTG acronym for Manual Transmission Gear Lube and is made for syncro transaxles

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 02:51PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 26, 2014 02:49PM

With the PG transmission, you are fine with a 80W-90 GL-5 oil. Synthetic will ave a few cents in gas each year, but not required for average driving.

As Dan said, for others reading, for a manual trans, you need GL-4

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: SUMTOY1966 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 08:45PM

17 bucks a gallon..... Been running it for a while now.

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Attachments:
Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:07PM

You really ought to reconsider using a GL-4/GL-5 oil in your manual transmission differential. And if you do not believe the experts like richard1 you might check out Valvoline's Product Sheet.

Attachments:
Date: October 29, 2014 09:14PM

Well I have been running it for lets see 5 years now and even in my posi and no problems at all...I know guys that run just the regular gl-5 and reporting no problems for years... So i dont know...

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Date: October 29, 2014 10:06PM

From a VW buddy......FYI

"I called Valvoline regarding this. They indicated that the problem with some GL-5 is activated sulfates. They indicated that they do not use activated sulfates and their GL-5 is safe for yellow metal... "

**---->> confirmed from another forum source:
"Apparently activated sulfate (used in some GL5 lubes) can eat brass synchros. Valvoline indicated: "The Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil 80-w90 can be used for both GL4 and GL5

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Date: October 29, 2014 10:42PM

Certainly you can believe what you want. I guess I will continue believing what the experts say on this and other forums and I will most certainly trust Valvoline's written documentation (note Valvoline's recommendation IN BOLD LETTERS below) over what a friend of yours heard over the phone.

Hey, not trying to be down on you, just suggesting you really ought to reconsider . . .

SUMTOY1966 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From a VW buddy......FYI
>
> "I called Valvoline regarding this. They indicated
> that the problem with some GL-5 is activated
> sulfates. They indicated that they do not use
> activated sulfates and their GL-5 is safe for
> yellow metal... "
>
> **---->> confirmed from another forum source:
> "Apparently activated sulfate (used in some GL5
> lubes) can eat brass synchros. Valvoline
> indicated: "The Valvoline High Performance Gear
> Oil 80-w90 can be used for both GL4 and GL5

Attachments:
Date: October 29, 2014 11:29PM

I understand where you coming from and there are many Experts everywhere.... One thing i can say is I have been around cars and corvairs all my life and my dad worked at a GM dealership for many years as a transmission expert. I drove a corvair to high school in the 80s. This topic was brought up a few years ago at our shop when the VW buddy called them.. So I call them for my own self just to clarify my self because my father has Awlays ran valvoline products for many many years Here is what the guy from valvoline told in a email a few years back. Im not trying to go against what you are saying. I am just letting you know we have never had any troubles when using the GL4/GL5 hp valvoline lube in a manual corvair trans. Here is the response from Valvoline -

(The Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil 80W90 and 75W90 can be used for
both GL4 and GL5. The real concern is the type of sulfate used in the gear
oil. You can not use an active sulfate for GL-4 applications. Valvoline
uses an inactive sulfate that will not harm any yellow metal such as
bronze. This allows our products to be used in manual transmissions that
have bronze synchronizers)

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 04:35AM

You really ought to reconsider using a GL-4/GL-5 oil in your manual transmission differential. And if you do not believe the experts like richard1 you might check out Valvoline's Product Sheet.

I thought we had that clear on here. What he told you is misleading.
--True: GL-5 covers and surpasses all EP tests for GL-4.
--True: Sulfur/phos additives used today en either product do not damage yellow metals by themselves.
--True: GL-5/GL-4 can be used in non-synchronized transmissions
--FALSE:"This allows our products to be used in manual transmissions that
have bronze synchronizers
"

Any GL-5 can state that it meets GL-4 & GL-3 specs.
The API GL classifications do not address synchronizer wear.

--GL-5 WILL cause excessive wear and temperatures in synchronizers.
--GL-5 The damage is not caused by the additives, but by the action of the syncronizers when submerged in GL-5

Among dozens (hundreds) of other experiences I have with this, I'm running a demonstration with one of the local interstate bus lines that has MB buses with synchronized transmissions. After the original factory GL-4, their mechanics put GL-5 in for the same reasons believed by many. They had serious temperature and synchronizer problems, blaming MB. They MB engineer and I went several times to try to convince them (and MB refused the warranty claim on a dozen transmissions. They kept the GL-5 for all its myths, and started changing transmission oil every 8000 km.

Saturday one of the buses came in for its oil changes. They are now on their second change with GL-4: 20,000 km the first time with 1/4 of the copper in the oil. This time they went 21,000 km (I will also be analyzing the oil), and the driver could not stop talking about how easy the transmission shifted and continued to shift throughout the period. He could not believe that a simple oil change would fix the constant shifting problems they have had for years.

Do not believe anyone who tells you that GL-5/GL-4 is safe for synchronizers.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: October 30, 2014 04:47AM

Like you my auto background goes back a ways, going back to professionally twisting wrenches in a general repair shop while Corvairs were still being produced. And daily driving Corvairs while they were still being produced.
One area where we are in agreement is Valvoline is a good product.

But if you have not read richard1's paper on the difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oil I highly recommend that you do, especially at least the first page and a half:
[www.widman.biz]

And assuming the responses you and your buddy received were true, does it not strike you as odd that Valvoline in their published product sheet do not state their High Performance Gear Oil is compatible with yellow metals and instead recommend the use of two of their other products? Especially when the product sheets of both other recommended oils specifically state they ARE compatible?

I'm glad to hear you and your friends are not having synchromesh problems. The evidence to the contrary, however, is great enough I'll continue with GL-4 non-GL-5 oils in mine.

Cheers!

(Note: just noticed richard1 beat me to it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 04:50AM by NMCarNut.

Date: October 30, 2014 02:56PM

Different strokes for different folks.....And the only Expert I belive in is the good man above whom made us....

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:51PM

I know our transmission guy in the club makes a lot of money off folks running old lubricant or the wrong lubricant in transaxles.

Yesterday I heard from a fellow running Redline GL 5 NS. A year ago he put it in his newly rebuilt transaxle and said it made it shift great. Well suddenly he can't shift over 3,000RPM without a lot of gear clashing!!!

He's not happy. Eventually he'll pull the transaxle and find out what went out and if the Redline was an issue.

Date: October 30, 2014 05:37PM

Now I can understand someone running Old lubes but with today technology in oils and such Thing's have came alonggg ways Just like motor oil i run shell diesel oil 15/40 in everything me and my dad own..and even a 96 gmc truck i bought almost new and in all the corvairs we own...A few years ago we tore down a corvair engine that had 15/40 oil in it all of the 147k miles it had on it and amazingly there was very little wear and the cam was in great shape and the crank remained standard/standard when we put it back together.

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Re: What gear lube for differential and manual trans
Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: October 31, 2018 06:20AM

Been reading about Diff/ manual trans oils. My big pail of Valvoline 80w90 GL3 is empty. No GL4 in the small town I live in. Going to Spokane soon. I need some GL3 or GL4 for 2 of my cars. Just finished rebuilding the diff on the driver 68. Anyone know a good place to buy the proper gear oil? None synthetic

Thanks Jason

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:07AM

Most Napa stores around here stock the Sta-Lube product,
[www.amazon.com]
Or here's quite a variety,
[www.amazon.com]

I currently am using the Amway....I mean Amsoil lube.

Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:27AM

Just found this from Chevron In my book at work. Going to call and find out if it's still available. Would it be safe to use?

Attachments:

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:40AM

this looks like a good choice. Amsoil gear and transmission lube

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 31, 2018 08:51AM

jasonscorvairs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just found this from Chevron In my book at work.
> Going to call and find out if it's still
> available. Would it be safe to use?

90w in a PG axle maybe but no way for a manual trans. Too thick.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.