home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
SOLD!! : 1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible (with A/C) for sale
Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: October 16, 2014 06:36AM

Car underwent a complete nut and bolt restoration in 2009. Less than 800 pampered miles since then. Car is in pristine condition. Car was stripped to bare metal and totally rebuilt from the ground up by Don Magas of PA. Starting car was a rust free California Corsa Turbo. "Factory A/C" was introduced to this vehicle at that time. Blows cold. Car has AM/FM with Mulitiplex, Rear mount antenna, Telescopic steering with Simulated wood wheel, Tinted Windshield. Has to be one of the finest late model Corvairs out there and what many consider the pinnacle year/model of Corvair.

US$30,000.

Seller pleased to assist buyer in shipping and pre-inspection of vehicle

Car is located in Toronto, 45 minutes from US border.. Importing a car from Canada to the US is a simple and straigtforward process. For more info on that see: [help.cbp.gov]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 09:49AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For sale: 1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible (with A/C) for sale
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 16, 2014 06:43AM

Vairy vairy nice car!!! Having said that there was no such thing as a turbo motor A/C car in any configuration.

It appears that because of the non factory condenser the VIN tag has been removed and reinstalled next to the trim tag.

Not trying to ruin any sale just pointing out some obvious facts...especially the moved VIN tag.

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: October 16, 2014 06:43AM

Has this A/C install ever been covered?

And the SPORT mirrors are mounted below the body crease, can we see a head-on (from hood) shot?

Interesting, body colored dash. Is it crinkle?

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: October 16, 2014 07:17AM

Very nice car but not likely to find anyone here willing to pay 30k for it. That's just reality. Ebay or a car auction I think you would do much better. Good luck on the sale!

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: October 16, 2014 07:35AM

Brent is a long time poster here and has contributed much good information over the years. The A/C installation has been well documented in many threads over the years. Phil is correct that it was not a factory installation. Brent never claimed it was.

The car is a beauty and worth every penny of his asking price. But like Nate, unfortunately, I don't believe it will pull that kind of money here. I wish I had the 30K to throw at it. But sadly, I don't.

I agree, an online auction or classic car dealer would probably be his best bet.

Good luck Brent, I wish you well on the sale.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: October 16, 2014 07:45AM

This is without a doubt one of my favorite Corvairs. But as Phil has noted, the relocated Serial Plate might pose problems . . .

Date: October 16, 2014 07:46AM

Yes this car is worth big bucks!!

Date: October 16, 2014 08:17AM

Q: It appears that because of the non factory condenser the VIN tag has been removed and reinstalled next to the trim tag.

A: Correct. The only reason the VIN tag was moved was to make it visible. Had there been any issue about this car's title, it would never have been allowed to leave the US in 2009 at which point it underwent a complete title search by US Border Patrol, before export was permitted. Any question about VIN could be verified by looking at hidden VIN, which I haven't bothered to do, but a sceptic could.

Q: Interesting, body colored dash. Is it crinkle?

A: Yes.

Q: Vairy vairy nice car!!! Having said that there was no such thing as a turbo motor A/C car in any configuration.

A: Correct, Turbo and A/C were mutually exclusive options. That's why I put the words "factory a/c" in quotes and stated it had been added in 2009.

Q: And the SPORT mirrors are mounted below the body crease, can we see a head-on (from hood) shot?

A: Yes the body coloured mirrors are another subtle modification to the car. Driver's side is a remote mirror. Here's another angle shot of the mirror.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 08:19AM by BrentF.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: October 16, 2014 08:19AM

I don't think I would have any trouble getting that car registered here in Lexington. When I bought my 66, I titled it as "non-op" A representative from the DMV had to come to my house to inspect the vehicle. He couldn't find the VIN tag. Of course he looked at the dash, then the door pillar, and finally I showed him the plate on the frame rail. He wasn't sure that was right. I showed him the original title and that the numbers matched and finally he signed off on it.

the point is, I doubt anyone but a Corvair owner would know that the tag was moved.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: stratovair ()
Date: October 16, 2014 08:40AM

Super guy, super car. No corners cut on this one. Never restore one this well for his price. Get in and drive. I would list it with Hemmings.

Dave "Turbo" Binnie

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 16, 2014 08:46AM

TIBCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think I would have any trouble getting
> that car registered here in Lexington. When I
> bought my 66, I titled it as "non-op" A
> representative from the DMV had to come to my
> house to inspect the vehicle. He couldn't find
> the VIN tag. Of course he looked at the dash,
> then the door pillar, and finally I showed him the
> plate on the frame rail. He wasn't sure that was
> right. I showed him the original title and that
> the numbers matched and finally he signed off on
> it.

I had the same issue when I registered my 66 4 door. Finally an "older" employee came out and "informed" the young person that "There were NO dashboard VIN numbers in 1966!"

The turbo car is nice, but it's a resto-mod, not original. Difficult to say how that affects value. I was talking to someone in the old car business and was surprised to hear that modifications don't impact the value of a car as they once did.

The A/C condenser location may be an issue.

Date: October 16, 2014 08:55AM

I've watched you all here go round and round repeatedly about non stock rivets on trim and VIN tags.

I repeat NO flame and NOT trying to start trouble NOR would I personally care...but??????????????

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: October 16, 2014 09:42AM

BrentF Wrote:
> Q: It appears that because of the non factory
> condenser the VIN tag has been removed and
> reinstalled next to the trim tag.
>
> A: Correct. The only reason the VIN tag was moved
> was to make it visible. Had there been any issue
> about this car's title, it would never have been
> allowed to leave the US in 2009 at which point it
> underwent a complete title search by US Border
> Patrol, before export was permitted. Any question
> about VIN could be verified by looking at hidden
> VIN, which I haven't bothered to do, but a sceptic
> could.
>

I completely understand the reasoning and I totally agree it is a VERY reasonable thing to do and can very likely be registered, but....

...I am pretty certain that is technically illegal.

It's stupid, I know, but removing a VIN tag (for what ever reason) is illegal. There MIGHT be some work around for this, but I have not heard of it. I honestly don't think it would be an issue for almost anyone... but....

BTW - SUPER nice car. I am curious if a non-stock Corvair MIGHT actually be worth more then full stock / original one.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: October 16, 2014 10:23AM

IMO, this is truly one of the top ten Corvair's out there. You'd hard pressed to build this car for anything close to $30K. Now it's just a matter of finding someone with that kind of a budget who appreciates the car. I can definitely appreciate it, just don't have that kind of budget (or space for another car).

Bob Manwaring, Kingston, TN
'69 500 Coupe #1432

Date: October 16, 2014 10:54AM

VIN Decoder reveals:

Your car is a 1966 Corsa convertible.
It was the 44750th Corvair built at Willow Run that year.

Body Tag reveals:

01C = 3rd week of january, (1966)
66 = 1966 model
10767 = 1=Chevrolet 0=Corvair 7=Corsa 67= convertible
tr 722 =
Group 1=Manual top, tinted windshield
Group 2 = Rear speaker
Group 3 (no group 3 options)
Group 4 O=L87 Turbocharged engine
Trim 722 = Bright Blue vinyl bucket seat interior
F1 = Marina Blue, Black top

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 16, 2014 11:41AM

Awesome car. A/C is 1 of my favorite factory options especially in it's stock original format. That being said (to me anyways) I believe the car would be worth MORE if it didn't have it. Not sure about relocating the vin tag either. May not even be legal in the eyes of the law but again I don't know. This is probably not the place to sell this car. But still looks like 1 of the nicest ones out there.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 16, 2014 12:44PM

I suspect the car will be a "It's worth what someone will pay for it".

On one hand a verified (check VIN against body stamp) properly restored 66 Turbo convertible is uncommon and that typically attracts buyers with more money to spend.

On the other hand it appears to be a good restoration with modifications to make it a pleasant driver (if the A/C condenser setup works well).

In the last couple of years "resto-mod" cars have been attracting good money. The stigma of "not original" seems to be less of an issue as more folks buy cars to enjoy, rather than garage as show pieces. Especially "affordable" old cars that are being bought to enjoy on the road.

It would be interesting to see if there are pictures showing the restoration process. That seems to have a positive impact on valuation. Always nice to see whats under the nice cosmetics.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: October 16, 2014 01:41PM

Not gonna pick it apart - it's a mild custom with tastefully done mods. I like the level of detail - even to add the fast idle solenoid to a turbo motor. Looks excellent and worth the 30K, although probably more likely at an auction of if marketed to a high end buyer. Best of luck!

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: October 16, 2014 02:02PM

66vairman Wrote:

>
> In the last couple of years "resto-mod" cars have
> been attracting good money. The stigma of "not
> original" seems to be less of an issue as more
> folks buy cars to enjoy, rather than garage as
> show pieces. Especially "affordable" old cars that
> are being bought to enjoy on the road.
>

It looks like the car is full stock (even the battery!) except for the condenser and compressor (and of course the fact that they never had AC of course). It doesn't really come up to the level of what most considered "resto-mod".

Personally (it's still a VERY nice car, don't get me wrong), I would rather have either a full stock, or a much more modified car.

Very curious to see what he gets. Sell it in the right place, it could be big.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 16, 2014 03:35PM

Where is the hidden VIN on a late model?confused smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.