home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: '62 Rampside Joins the Fleet
Posted by: gerg ()
Date: July 21, 2015 04:38PM

Been out of town a while but I managed to get a little done today. The parts I ordered from Clark's at the convention showed up pretty quickly. I wanted to fix the Macgyver turn signal cancelling mess I had going on:

The arm was loose in the threads with a nut on the back side, and the little roller was laying in the bottom of the housing.

Looks like the cast ring had cracked and the PO formed sheet metal around it, then wrapped it with wire to secure. Pretty cool actually, and it probably worked for a while.

All works well now. Turns out the original cable was fine so I reused it and put the new one on the shelf. Actually, the only two parts I needed were the cast ring and the arm. So now I have about $45 in new parts on the shelf eye rolling smiley

And NO MORE pushing and pulling the cable end to work the signals smiling smiley smileys with beer

Heater cables next and then EVERYTHING on the FC works as it should!!! smiling smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 04:39PM by gerg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 21, 2015 04:51PM

Life is good!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Date: July 26, 2015 11:27AM

Yes it is Matt!

This morning I finished fishing the cables through. Soooooo nice to operate the heater and defroster without pair of vice grips smiling bouncing smiley

I also went back through the steering wheel signal components. The roller didn't spin too good on the new Clarks cast piece. So I did a little filing on the pin and when it spun nicely I lubed it and reinstalled. Also cleaned the horn contact ring and applied some dielectric grease to it. Finished up by cleaning the copper tip brush that slides along this ring.

Removed the horn itself this morning to to clean up contacts etc. Should blow a little louder when I'm done.

Anyone know if Clarks sells the seal that goes under the toe panel where all the control cables pass into the cab? I see the sell the screws but cannot find the actual rubber / foam piece with all the notches that the cables and harness seal into.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 11:35AM by gerg.

Date: December 17, 2015 02:17PM

Finally got back online with Clark's this morning and ordered everything I need to seal up the doors and windshield for the FC. I had already bought the door weather strips at the convention in Knoxville earlier this year.

I had procrastinated about doing the windshield weatherstrip since I had plans to paint the truck at some point. But I really like the way it looks right now. Then I saw a pic on Facebook where someone put in a new windshield and the FC had a beautiful patina (what was visible). So there you have it smiling smiley

Got the windshield rubber, vent window rubbers, vertical rear vent seals, window channel felts, window stop bumpers and the horizontal weatherstrip behind the upper access panels. Rivets and the tool also.

The truck came with new fuzzies. I also ordered the gas heater block off plate seal too.

ready to get busy smiling smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: December 23, 2015 12:04PM

Clark's parts showed up today!! smileys with beer

When I am waiting anxiously for a package it always shows up an hour later than normal. When I am busy it is just sitting at the front door like today smiling smiley

Removed all the driver's door weatherstrips last week - working on the body weather strip now. Looks like I have everything I need except for the rubber bumpers on the body for the doors and the deflector strip that goes on each door above the upper hinge. Just ordered those as well as pedal seals at the floor.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:35PM

Parts is parts! It's fun getting goodies in the mail. Even nicer when they are installed.
Keep us posted.thumbs up

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: December 23, 2015 04:34PM

Will do! I plan on pulling the window and vent assembly out tomorrow. Get the forward window channel riveted in place, top and rear channel installed and the fuzzies. Hopefully get to the point of putting the vent window rivet back on. Should go pretty smoothly.

Seems like there is a trick to using a small ball bearing when compressing the vent window rivet? Haven't done one in over 6 years.

Took the parts over to the building and found parts I forgot I had . . . the spring for the ramp safety latch being one. The accelerator bellows seal at the front engine shroud for the Monza also.

On another note, I was looking at the FC assembly manual today and it shows this 'boot' is drawn where it sticks out the front of the engine tin, unlike all the ones I have seen on cars where it points rearward into the engine compartment . . . is that correct? In other words, the accordion / springy section points forward, outside of the engine compartment.

I'll have many more pics come tomorrow. smiling smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 04:40PM by gerg.

Date: December 24, 2015 07:22AM

Look at your accelerator rod that goes through that boot. There should be a couple stamped button like nubs that were intended to go around the small end of the boot. These will be either inside or outside the engine tin's.

I also have seen the assembly manual showing the boot in a reverse position of the cars. For my FC's I like to put the boot in the car way... just because it won't be a catch-all for dust from the engine compartment. It's not easy to clean when it's installed forward like the assy manual shows. My FC's are not bone stock anyway!

Corventure Dave

Date: December 24, 2015 07:31AM

Thanks Dave!

Headed over to tear apart the driver's door now. Pics to come . . .

Merry Christmas!

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: December 24, 2015 12:20PM

Got everything apart this morning. Brought the vent window assembly back to the house to work on it here.

Sill plate was full to the top when removed - and found an original screw hiding in the front that someone probably lost years ago. Cleaned up nicely. Just surface rust, no rot.

Door is gutted . . . Had one snafu, top screw for the rear, lower window guide was stuck and when I tried tapping (lightly I thought) with an impact driver to dislodge, I thought I broke the steel out of the door. Turns out it was just the screw head that the rim cracked off of, the oblong screw hole in the door should tap back into shape thankfully.

Original Seamist Jade hiding behind the weatherstrip is beautiful!! Hopefully some day someone will restore this Deluxe to it's former glory smiling smiley

I found the forward side of the front window guide was marked "A BAiley Product" repeatedly . .

So, I was reading about alternatives to removing the pivot rivet - some say you can take the two rivets loose from the frame instead? I assume you would just feed the whole bracket through the vent rubber? I prefer not to take the pivot loose if I don't have to smiling smiley

Monza made a good parts runner today smiling smiley

Lastly, I 'think' I remember water seeping through this body seam (beneath the gas heater block off plate) last time I was on a rain run. I am replacing the gasket for the heater block off, but wondered if anyone has seen the actual body seam beneath the plate leak before?

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 12:23PM by gerg.

Date: December 24, 2015 12:34PM

The pivot unit I have found is easier to remove the 2 rivets on the frame. The only place the window goes through the gasket is the bottom shaft with the tension spring.
Reassembly can be a challenge. Be sure to get the new window gasket seated properly and completely in the channel frame. I found that I needed to get the glass to move forward at the top pointed edge. I must have messed with the first one for a couple hours. I finally figured out that the pivot between the single rivet and the two rivets on the frame, had to be slightly shortened. This drew the glass right into place. I shortened it by bending the vertical bracket between the upper and lower rivets, "just slightly outwards" with a punch. Kinda like if you bend your finger slightly... if that makes sense! I almost cut and re-welded one to do this, but just a vary slight bend makes a big difference in pulling in the glass on top.
Now that I have confused everyone... confused smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: December 24, 2015 12:46PM

Thanks!

I was 'assuming' again - remembering the top passed through the rubber on my VW.

Gonna take some measurements before I remove the guide from the vent frame so it goes back together just like it is now. Fear I may bend it or distort it.

How did you compress the river for the pivot on reassembly? Assuming you don't have the purpose built tool and got creative haha

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 12:47PM by gerg.

Date: December 24, 2015 02:30PM

Got the vent assembly mostly apart. There are some dimples in the original channel that I assumed were for rivet clearance, but then there are several without the dimple.

This is the lower dual rivet mount for the vent frame:

Here you can see that there is only one other dimpled towards the top:

I presume that the dimples ones are for the standoff clearance for the vent frame to channel? The other holes are larger too, and I know some were for the rubber strip to the side of the latch channel.

I thought about just using a washer to create the offset, unless I really need to figure out creating the dimple for rivet clearance. But why are some dimpled and others not?

All feedback appreciated!!!

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: December 26, 2015 02:24PM

I got after the forward channel today. Here are the old and new parts laid out together:

After studying it for a while, counting holes on the 'old' channel (at the bottom) from the left, the second and fifth holes (slightly dimpled ones) are used to rivet the vent window rear upright to the channel. The four remaining, larger holes allow the rivet head to pass through (sitting flush) and are used to attach the rear rubber seal to the assembly.

Here is where I left off with it, lower bracket installed and ready to put the vent window frame on:

Started getting the vent weather strip in place too.

My buddy Shannon came by when I was wrapping up and he buttoned up his 1600 SP that we will be breaking in tomorrow winking smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: December 27, 2015 02:19PM

Got the window back in the vent frame, and seal finished. Now to attach to the channel. Spent most of the day breaking in Shannon's new VW engine and getting his car on the lift to start ripping it apart.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: January 01, 2017 04:14PM

Been a while since I posted. I still drive the FC 95% of the time when I am home. Cannot get enough of this truck!!

I have sealed the cabin filler panel previously, but a screw or two still leak a little. Gonna get on that tomorrow smiling smiley

After having driven through frozen West TX, NM and AZ a couple of years ago and thinking the heater was lackluster, I found out why. The PO had this 'tin can' blocker plate under the floor air diverter:

Now things are toasty smiling smiley I also put in the new blower motor switch and no longer feel like it is going to explode the next time I try to turn the fan off or on.

Put more time into adjusting the driver side door today and now the seal contacts all the way around. Its the small things smiling smiley

Then . . . . I opened up the OE radio. After cleaning it with a dry brush and shop vacuum, I tried bench testing it. Power was not getting past the rotary on/off volume switch. After bypassing that, I found that the radio light would come on and noise came out of a box speaker. Had no antenna to test with. So today, I bench tested it on the 'bench seat' in the FC with the antenna hooked up. Holy cow, I tuned a station!!!!!

Then I went inside and used some contact cleaner on the switch. After a few off and ons, the power started passing through the switch. Back to the truck . . . with original speaker. Speaker is shot, but the radio works!!! Now this is cool!!! Probably hasn't worked in 15 years or more smiling smiley Ordering a speaker now smiling smiley

Dirty radio once opened:

Cleaned up:

Bench setup at shop:

Neat tag inside radio lid:

Seems like everytime I drive this thing it gets better and better smiling smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 01, 2017 04:31PM

It's the little things that count and make for comfort!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Date: January 02, 2017 09:03AM

Yes they do Matt!

Last night I started adapting EM vent hoses to the FC. For some reason, they are slightly larger than FC. I ran a bit of self adhesive rubber tape around the defroster outlet then the hose snugged on nicely. I was going to order the correct ones but the price tag made me rethink what I already had. I got these Clark's fabric hoses at an estate sale a few years ago. The same one I got the FC at winking smiley

Anyhow, this AM I ordered all new front brake hard lines and hoses. Also Clark's dual master cylinder conversion kit. Lastly I got their light load rear springs to get me closer to zero camber.

I have a set of wheels on the '65 Corsa convertible that I am 'really' hoping work out on this FC. I do not know the back spacing, have to take one off to figure it out. I 'think' they are 15". I know the rear tires are a bit large, but I'll do a test fit to see what happens winking smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: January 02, 2017 04:05PM

Took the front filler panel off this AM between rain storms and sealed it better to the body. The blanking panel where a gas heater would go. This afternoon I dropped the vent tube out of the floor and was able to reinstall the original seal, and 'luckily' get the defrost riser to come through perfectly. Not a great pic, but this looks MUCH better than it did when I took the defroster stack off. 1/2 the seal was off the lip and trapped between the upper and lower sections of the defroster assembly.

Then I proceeded to take the wiper motor off and replace the seal - since I had already purchased it. I could tell no signs of water running in but why not . . . Interesting, the original seal is a dense rubber square sectioned piece while the Clark's replacement is a foam seal. The original was obviously 'rolled' on installation, and it was broken - at the top though.

Now I need to find a sealant for the screws where they go through the floorboard for the defroster assembly. Looks like the factory used some sort of waxy substance.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 04:07PM by gerg.

Date: January 02, 2017 04:16PM

The PO had also modified the speaker bracket for a small magnet 6x9 speaker - Realistic 10W unit. I am guessing that is what the cuts and bends are in the center.

Lastly, does anyone have a lead on this spacer shown in the assembly manual? Mine came out in 2 pieces, almost a rubber component that had broken down. I cannot find it on the Clark's site:

gerg
Monroe, LA

Current Page: 12 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.