home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Help! Sticking Blocker Ring
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: August 22, 2014 03:58AM

Of course sitting still on the bench it might do that,But in the car the Torque from the motor will spin the Blocker ring.
Theres so many little tricks on these transmissions. Setting the End play on the main shaft, drilling the Cluster thrust washers too retain oil,drilling the input gear for better oiling to the needle brgs,Lapping the blocker rings to the cone. Light springs in the syncro, Just many of the things you can do to improve these boxes. Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 22, 2014 05:16AM

OK Guys, if a blocker ring was sticking to the point of causing problems you would not be able to shift easily into other gears as the sticking blocker ring would be turning the main shaft much like a clutch disc that isn't releasing making it hard to get in any gear.

If the ONLY problem is with 3rd gear and all the rest work fine then the problem is with 3rd gear. Can you skip 3rd gear and the trans shift fine?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Dennis D ()
Date: August 22, 2014 10:01AM

I don't know if you would say it shifts fine but it does shift into the other gears OK. Then what would be the problem with third gear? I can shift from 2nd to fourth.

Dennis D.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:11PM

I had the same problem as Dennis earlier this year and discovered that I had inadvertently installed 61-63 3-4 blocker rings on a 64 transmission. Some of you probably already know this and, even though this won't help Dennis at this point, it is worthwhile noting that when installing blocker rings to double check whether these are first design or second design because they look the same, especially with nothing for comparison:

61-63 No groove around the circumference of the blocker rings.

64-65 A solid groove above the key slot around the circumference of the blocker rings.

Using the incorrect ring causes the sticking rings where the ring is screwing itself onto the gear cone that Dennis described.

I am still looking for NOS 64-65 blocker rings if anyone has any for sale - with a groove!

BTW, the Clark repro rings have the identifying grooves but you have to know or think to check for the presence of these grooves when you receive your parts order to avoid having to dissemble your transmission three times or so.

Crawford Rose

Date: August 09, 2017 06:43PM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------.... even though
> this won't help Dennis at this point....
-----------=======================----------------
Indeed, our amazing Dennis passed from this mortal sphere in May of this year.

Dennis Dorogi obituary

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.