Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Checking the flywheel and pressure plate?
Posted by: Paul S ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:52PM

I have a riveted flywheel (probably stock but not sure) What am I looking for to see of its any good? Same question for the pressure plate? Thanks

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Checking the flywheel and pressure plate?
Date: May 19, 2014 08:21PM

You are looking for a bolt - at each place where a rivet used to be!
Forget the idea that failed for Chevrolet and go with the proven replacement of a properly bolted, measured and balanced replacement flywheel.

The riveted one may make a fine core.....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: May 19, 2014 08:36PM

I know thats a better option but if I were to use this one. What would I look for? How do you tell if its a hot riveted flywheel? What are signs of a bad pressure plate?

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 19, 2014 08:42PM

Here is a vid that might help you! I will never use a Stock riveted flywheel again as they are just waiting to come apart,,Tic Tic Tic Boom!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pDvzX0RISBc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As far as a PP is concerned a re-surfaced rebuilt one is best,But if you want to chance your old one you need to check that all the spring fingers stick up and are even,a nice flat smooth friction surface face plate,here are some pics of a bad one and a good one. the first is bad,it has the clutch disc in between the flywheel and pressure plate and you can see it has collapsed as there is no gap between the mounting surfaces,the second is a good one,note the gap

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Date: May 19, 2014 08:49PM

Bad one notice the fingers do not even touch the level,,good one the fingers hold the level away from the ridge on the PP,,this bad one lasted a day in striper before it collapsed,,your best bet when doing the clutch! All new Stuff! why chance a failure,,and take it all back apart,when doing the clutch system,best to replace it all,do it once!thumbs up

Attachments:

Date: May 19, 2014 09:08PM

My fingers are pretty close to even. The level sits above the lip. Not much of a gap between the pp and flywheel though..? Disk in. Thanks Dave!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 09:09PM by Paul S.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 19, 2014 09:11PM

My pressure plate testing is a little crude.

I put several used ones on the floor that have even fingers. I step on the fingers with the heel of my work boot. You can easily tell the strong pressure plate and the weakest pressure plate with this highly unscientific method.

Also, make sure the ring gear is still perfectly round. If someone dropped a pressure plate in it's edge, the ring gear usually bends.

Do what Dave shows to test flywheel. Or, drop it on it's edge on concrete and see if it rings - good or rattles/dull noise - very bad.

If they pass these tests, I use a DA sander to rough up the surfaces and they are good to go for at least a week. There is no guarentee on used parts!smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 19, 2014 09:14PM

I would get a good bolted or Palmer Hot riveted flywheel and new PP,yours looks partially collapsed to me,Do yourself a favor and get new stuff!thumbs up

1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon

Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: May 19, 2014 09:26PM

I thought all I needed was exhaust and fuel lines...sad smiley back to checking the couch cushions
Thanks!

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Date: May 19, 2014 09:32PM

When you bolt the PP and flywheel together with the disc installed you go around to each bolt and tighten them a little at a time,you can watch the spring fingers move from the disc being trapped in the middle and putting holding pressure on the disc to keep it from spinning under a load,look at your set up,,there is no gap to take up to put pressure on the disc, IMO your clutch components are worn out and will slip and not work,hope you have $$ in the couch,you will thank yourself later for getting good parts!thumbs up

1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon

Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: May 19, 2014 09:37PM

Thanks Dave. Problem is the guy that built my motor said it looked fine. Im already out a shiny penny and now I dont trust his work. He didnt even Torq the bell housing bolts. One wasnt even screwed all the way in! And theres more. I dont know what to do...sad smiley

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Date: May 19, 2014 09:39PM

I would sure start and break in that engine out of the car and make sure its all together right if your questioning his work! If there are problems you can take it back to him easier!

1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon

Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: May 19, 2014 09:42PM

Ya I will. I just dont think I want to take it back to him. Let me break out the violin. Im cryin I know...

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Date: May 19, 2014 10:45PM

What else have you found wrong?confused smiley

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:47PM

Bring it up to Dave and test run it there...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 20, 2014 04:42AM

Well 1st off it took him over 3months. Would have been understandable if he hadnt kept telling me "oh ya be done by friday"
-didnt call me with a parts list
-put the heads on backwards
-lost the top blower bolts, baffle clips and others.
-cracked my fan that I had powder coated and tried to charge me $75.00 for another (which happened to be cracked also)
-he went through the tranny. I get it home and its leaking gear oil out the front cover. He decided to paint the thing and sprayed over my back-up light switch. I took it back. He fixed the leak but loosened the switch prongs cleaning off the paint and bent the accel rod pivot (asks me.. oh is that not suppose to be bent?)
-told me he was waiting on a new clutch disk. When I finally picked up the motor it had the original disk. Hes says "oh i thought we discussed this. Its fine"
-scratched my shrouds and left out bolts
-didnt put much effort into cleaning my heads, bell housing etc...
-says my heads are good and have deep seats but I doubt him..
-didnt torq the bellhousing bolts. One wasnt even screwed all the way in (how many other bolts need I check?)
-waited till the time of pick up to tell me I should replace my blower bearing buying himself another month!!
Im probably leaving stuff out. Am I just being difficult?

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Date: May 20, 2014 04:53AM

Didnt replace the pilot bushing

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Date: May 20, 2014 09:59AM

WoW, I'd sure be worried about little things like - rod nuts!
How sure would you be that they are all torqued correctly?! From the tale of his other work, I'd sure want to double check that critical little detail.

After the flywheel housing discovery, that would sure shake my faith.
Flywheel bolts are also a critical step. Threads must be sealed and torqued properly with the torque spreader ring installed.

Engine work is focused detail work and must be done by someone that can handle the job with complete attention to every step.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: May 20, 2014 10:21AM

Its been one discovery after another. He realized his mistake on the heads after calling me and double checking...sad smiley im at the point where I think I should have someone else go through it completely. Im not sure of the proper procedure though because any and all expenses in fixing his mistakes I will want refunded to me! Like I said before taking it back to him won't do me any good! This has really put me in a bad humor...sorry to those reading this I may have disrespected in previous posts...

1964 Corvair Spyder
1966 Corvair Corsa
Fresno, CA.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: May 20, 2014 12:31PM

Paul, I can feel your pain. I am confident that you and I...and many great people here on this forum can get the kinks worked out, and have the old beast back out on the road soon.

I am keeping an eye on your posts, and the advice you are getting from these great Corvair guys is worth gold.

Keep your chin up, and lets get together tomorrow and make a game plan. I just got my powerpack out, and we can compare notes.

-mik

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.