home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 65-69 rear wheel bearing setup
Posted by: gerg ()
Date: April 10, 2016 09:25AM

That is exactly what I did. Thanks for posting them. Read and re-read them earlier probably 5 times.

Gonna post some pics here shortly.

Current question is what shim to go with? The 2 I have available are exactly .003" from my measurement. Tight or loose is the question I guess. Knowing where the tool leaves you would help. Tight, middle or loose within the window of acceptance.

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 09:26AM by gerg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 10, 2016 09:51AM

So I had this long post ready to put up and I think I figured out the problem. I cannot verify as I am not at the shop, BUT, according to the pic below, there is an undercut on the knurled nut that can slide past the thread stop on the tool:

I must have the nut on backwards. Looking at one of my pics I can pretty much see that the end of the nut away from the bearing has a smooth section that would indeed allow the nut to take up the slack I have. Sh*t . . grinning smiley

Anyhow, I Macgyver'd a solution, but will go back, reverse the nut, remove my extra spacer and see if I get the same reading. thumbs up

gerg
Monroe, LA

Date: April 10, 2016 10:01AM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are the Shop manual instructions. Don't know
> if they will be helpful.
>

Al - this is interesting. The instructions in BOTH of my 1965 Chassis Shop Manuals are completely different from what you posted. Also, neither manual has the drawing I posted above in it. What year manual did you get them from?

My instructions have you install the OUTER bearing and spacer first. AND, it makes NO mention of an undercut side of the knurled nut. None what so ever. I followed the '65 manual instructions to the T, but the ones you posted look MUCH more thorough and correct.

I'm going to dig through some of my later year model supplements to see when this was changed / corrected.

THANKS!

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 10, 2016 10:07AM

Ger:

PM me your e-mail address. I will send you the document I got it from.

I like the tool from reading the instructions. I have found one for my shop. I have 4 rear bearing units to reassemble and the tool will make it simple. 2 bearing units are for the car and 2 are back ups. They will have 1/2-20 studs to be installed for my new wheels. Still waiting for call from machine to pick them up.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: April 10, 2016 02:12PM

ROD Wrote:
> I know im asking to get beat up here but why not
> just turn down the stub axle intended for use so
> you can slip the tapered bearings and shims on and
> off like every other spindle hub assembly known to
> man..... that way they can be re-greased and
> packed / shimmed / replaced regularly like front
> hub bearings... forget the press fit all
> together....
>
> confused smiley
>
> anyone copy that ?

Rod,
This was all explained why it is not a good idea in a white paper written by Bob Ballew many years ago after the Ultra Van people experimented with just what you are suggesting.
Bob Helt

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 10, 2016 02:23PM

Man I wish someone here would do a tech session on this I want to understand how to repack and seal these assemblies.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 10, 2016 02:47PM

How about taking a trip down to my place when I start putting mine together? Bring yours down and do them at the same time. Not a big deal if you are reusing bearings, other than puller and tools to get bearing off from stub axle. Make sure you have new seals ready and a can of wheel bearing grease. If you are replacing bearings, have them too. Order a couple shim packs from Clark's to ensure you can assemble shim stack up, if necessary. The old shims will help but can't take it for granted they will be enough or right thickness.

I have all the needed tools for removal, installation and run-out check. I have bought new bearings/races, seals, shims, dust shields, an extra nut, and extra washer and a spare spacer.

I will have Rick, who has done a few of them, to help me. We will be doing 4 of them. All mine are getting new bearings and races, since they came off field stored cars.

Priming and painting backing plates and bearing housings first, then a week later assembly. No zerk fittings will be going on mine.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: OzJavelin ()
Date: April 10, 2016 03:02PM

Would someone with Corvette experience look at these and say "I know how to do this" (given the right specs)?

I'm looking at these thinking this is beyond my experience, tools and patience, but I can't really post them off the the USA. I'm wondering if the local Corvette guys here in Australia would be able to do these easily enough?

Posted by: OzJavelin ()
Date: April 10, 2016 03:02PM

Would someone with Corvette experience look at these and say "I know how to do this" (given the right specs)?

I'm looking at these thinking this is beyond my experience, tools and patience, but I can't really post them off the the USA. I'm wondering if the local Corvette guys here in Australia would be able to do these easily enough?

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: April 10, 2016 04:47PM

gerg, I was having a hard time understanding the problem you have been having until I read the instructions in the '65 manual as you had. Those instructions are as clear as mud. I have always read the instructions in the '69 supplement, which is where I scanned the image from, that I posted two years ago on the 1st page of this thread.

The only thing that is important, is that the Pin on the side of the inner shaft of the tool floats freely inside, the side hole on the main body of the tool.
The .097" nipple on the outer end of the PIN must be free to contact the inner bearing when the inside shaft is pushed IN and contact the bearing spacer when the shaft is pulled OUT.

Both knurled nuts must be snug so both bearings are seated against their outer races. The inside smaller nut tightens the inside bearing against the shoulder on the tool. The outside nut just tightens up the complete assembly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 04:49PM by Richard.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 10, 2016 05:10PM

OzJavelin Wrote:
> Would someone with Corvette experience look at
> these and say "I know how to do this" (given the
> right specs)?
>
> I'm looking at these thinking this is beyond my
> experience, tools and patience, but I can't really
> post them off the the USA. I'm wondering if the
> local Corvette guys here in Australia would be
> able to do these easily enough?

Craig replies, Yes, same stuff as 63-82 corvette. The whole process gets very simple if one obtains an extra stub axle and has it ground down so the bearings are a slip fit. Set up bearings and shims with the slipper and switch to the actual once it's right. If you can find an actual 63 corvette spindle, they're already slip fit (that didn't work out well because the bearing slowly turns on the axle and wears a groove)

With the setup simplified, the hard part is getting the yoke and spindle on and off safely.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: April 10, 2016 05:27PM

Richard Wrote:
> gerg, I was having a hard time understanding the
> problem you have been having until I read the
> instructions in the '65 manual as you had. Those
> instructions are as clear as mud. I have always
> read the instructions in the '69 supplement, which
> is where I scanned the image from, that I posted
> two years ago on the 1st page of this thread.
>
> The only thing that is important, is that the Pin
> on the side of the inner shaft of the tool floats
> freely inside, the side hole on the main body of
> the tool.
> The .097" nipple on the outer end of the PIN must
> be free to contact the inner bearing when the
> inside shaft is pushed IN and contact the bearing
> spacer when the shaft is pulled OUT.
>
> Both knurled nuts must be snug so both bearings
> are seated against their outer races. The inside
> smaller nut tightens the inside bearing against
> the shoulder on the tool. The outside nut just
> tightens up the complete assembly.

Richard - I went back to the shop and thought I'd flip the outer (larger) knurled nut around so the undercut would slip past the thread stop as drawn above. This is the correct J tool # I have, and the nut has threads all the way to the outer edge on both sides. No undercut. Go figure.

Both instructions lead you to use the tool the same way, one just seems to have more info about the 'undercut' and the drawing as well.

I used another outer bearing as a spacer (slipped it on outside of the good bearing and had plenty of threads on the tool left to get the large nut on). Then the nut would push the outer bearing into the race - where the tool and bearings had no free movement inside the housing. The little nipple free floated as designed and I was able to get a measurement, add the .097" and come up with a shim that worked.

I assembled the unit finally this afternoon. Before torquing the flange on I had ~.004" free play. After getting the flange on and probably close to 90lbs or so, this seems to be more like .003' or so of free play. I need to finish torquing the nut and mount the assembly onto the trailing arm so I can get an accurate measurement. Definitely saw a difference when the flange was close to torque range.

Look at this video. This is with the inner bearing tight against the tool stop, and the outer nut spun down until there were no threads left to go:

[youtu.be]

Here you can see how the threads end and there is a smooth section of the tool before the bearing face. The nut cannot get past this point to push the bearing into the race. This is with both bearings in contact with the races:

Both sides of the large nut, no undercut:

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: WBrownIV ()
Date: April 10, 2016 06:19PM

Has anyone used the Corvette tool from Mamotorworks that Azdave mentioned in this thread?

[corvaircenter.com]

The item in question is about half way down on the first page (I really need to learn how to re post topics from hereconfused smiley)

Bill Brown
Arnold, Mo. (Just south of St. Louis)

1965 Corsa Convertible
1965 Monza Coupe w/Factory A/C
Corsa #32864
Show-Me Corvair Club

Posted by: WBrownIV ()
Date: April 10, 2016 06:52PM

Boy that will teach me to read this from the beginning! Nothing like posting a link for a thread and then realizing that I am already in that threadconfused smiley

let me rephrase my earlier post. Look on the first page of THIS thread about half way down to see what tool I was referring to.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bill Brown
Arnold, Mo. (Just south of St. Louis)

1965 Corsa Convertible
1965 Monza Coupe w/Factory A/C
Corsa #32864
Show-Me Corvair Club

Date: April 10, 2016 07:03PM

I don't know if perhaps earlier versions of the J tool had a spacer instead of an undercut knurled nut, but after speaking with the tool owner we are going to have a shop undercut one side. I think .250" would be plenty from my experience, but there is plenty of nut here. Maybe .3125"?

Anyone have one of these with the undercut they can measure for me on the smaller (inner bearing side) knurled nut?

gerg
Monroe, LA

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: April 10, 2016 07:29PM

I had the same question as Bill did about the Vette tool. For the cost of the tool, I would almost be willing to take a chance on it. there are a gazillion vettes in this area of the country so if it doesn't work, perhaps I could make a few bucks doing rear wheel bearings for the vette guys. smoking smiley

But seriously, does anyone know of any reason that tool would not work?

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 10, 2016 07:37PM

Would be great, be a haul down there though! I say tech session at Helen is in order. They did EM rear wheel bearings last year.

Lane66m Wrote:
> How about taking a trip down to my place when I
> start putting mine together? Bring yours down
> and do them at the same time. Not a big deal if
> you are reusing bearings, other than puller and
> tools to get bearing off from stub axle. Make
> sure you have new seals ready and a can of wheel
> bearing grease. If you are replacing bearings,
> have them too. Order a couple shim packs from
> Clark's to ensure you can assemble shim stack up,
> if necessary. The old shims will help but can't
> take it for granted they will be enough or right
> thickness.
>
> I have all the needed tools for removal,
> installation and run-out check. I have bought new
> bearings/races, seals, shims, dust shields, an
> extra nut, and extra washer and a spare spacer.
>
> I will have Rick, who has done a few of them, to
> help me. We will be doing 4 of them. All mine
> are getting new bearings and races, since they
> came off field stored cars.
>
> Priming and painting backing plates and bearing
> housings first, then a week later assembly. No
> zerk fittings will be going on mine.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: April 11, 2016 11:47AM

I don't think a slip fit would be good as that would walk around the spindle but maybe a .0000 to .0002 press would be easier to preload without the spacers and not turn on the spindle. Pressing it together sure is a headache.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: April 11, 2016 11:47AM

I don't think a slip fit would be good as that would walk around the spindle but maybe a .0000 to .0002 press would be easier to preload without the spacers and not turn on the spindle. Pressing it together sure is a headache.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 11, 2016 12:25PM

My KM tool has about .285" of thread cut out of one end of the nut.
The pin is also .087 instead of the .097 the manual lists.

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.